Tire Inflation with Nitrogen

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F6F-3, Jun 6, 2016.

1. F6F-3

F6F-3 SRT Hellcat Owner Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is the use of nitrogen to inflate tires worth the expense? (My HC is a daily driver.) The only use of nitrogen I'm familiar with is in high-altitude aircraft tires. There is no moisture to freeze. Landing on frozen tires is not a good idea....

2. hemiplymouth

hemiplymouth Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not a fan of it------Just my opinion.

3. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I heard that it is not worth it. I cannot elaborate, since I have never run nitrogen, but I have heard, tires still lose air (or nitrogen) so then you have to go back and top off (Costco has it for free, but you have to buy tires from them). Maybe Tire God can chime in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I need air in my tires I want air to be easy to find. Places that sell nitrogen are limited....and the air from my compressor at home is free. I just don't see a real advantage to nitrogen....just inconvenience.

5. mnf1fan

mnf1fan Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cars have been around a long time and running normal air has always been fine. Besides normal air is 78% nitrogen anyway. Maybe it matters in an F1 car or something.
    Just a bunch of BS if you ask me.

6. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    N2 was part of what I paid for to get Hellcat. It is better than air. No moisture (they say), larger molecule ( though 79% of air is nitrogen), so should less loss of molecules.

All that is fine. But on the first cold spell, I found the TPMS said my tires were low (one as low as 25psig). My dealer is about 12 miles away. So to get N2 I had to get there. I expected a long line, but it wasn't much of a wait at all.

My wife had a screw in her tire. I had to fill tire with air at house before driving to tire store. That tire no longer had nitrogen, but filled with air.

So... I really don't have a strong opinion on the necessity of nitrogen.