Tire Pressure For Nitto 555r's

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Mike III, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Mike III

Mike III Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just installed Nitto 555r 305/35r20 drag radials on my challenger hellcat using the stock rims. Trying to figure out what tire pressure everybody is running in these tires for the street as well as the track? I have not messed with tire pressures yet in them and was trying to get a good place to start. I was thinking about starting at 20 lbs. for the street but was not sure if that is too low or not? Dont plan on keeping the pressure that low and will normally run them at 32psi on the street unless I am going to make a 0-60 pass or something on the street. Thanks for the help.

2. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your max cold set is 44psi Vehicle is placarded for the standard 32psi cold. For the street set them at 32cold and recheck after 6-10 to miles of 70mph runs. You should be at 36-37psi hot depending on OAT. If you wish a firmer ride? Set them at 34 - 36 psi cold. Typical is 85% of MAX placarded psi as a cold set for most tires. My Conti's DW's are 51psi max cold. Per Continental they suggested 42psi for a somewhat reasonable ride and wear. At that psi ----- They are like BRICK's!!! So I run 35 to 36 psi cold now.
    For the drag strip, start at 22 psi and decrease 1 psi at a time to 16 min to 18psi depending on how hard they hook? Going below 16psi may run the risk of roll off from the rim. Unless you wish to glue and screw them to the rims? Then R&D below 16psi??? Also Call Nitto Tech line, they are a GREAT resource! As are other tire mfg's.

Also you may want a wider wheel for drag racing???

20'' 305/35R20 104V 180830 5.0 28.58 12.17 10.0-(11.0)-12.0 1984 @ 44

And your speed rating is ONLY for 149mph continuous speed.

11" wide wheel is Optimal for the 305/35/20 size.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Mike III

Mike III Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for the information Teo, I may go with a wider wheel if I am not happy with the performance on the stock rims but so far I am pretty impressed and I have not messed with the air pressures yet. Today I got my 0-60 down to 3.9 seconds and I had 38 psi in the rear tires cold and also did not heat them up first with a short burn out. I just stopped, set the timer and went. That was also on a full tank of gas and three of us in the car so I am pretty sure I can get down to 3.6 sec. or so with 1/4 tank of gas, lower air pressure and a cooler day. I am in Denver at 6,000' and the temp today was 90 degrees so I was really impressed!

• Useful Useful x 1