Tire recommendations requsted

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by srtfan, Sep 7, 2015.

1. srtfan

srtfan SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not a huge fan of the Pirelli P Zero's that come stock.. they die fast it seems. I think we end up paying a lot for name brand with these. I tried the Nitto 555R and they are great, but of course being a drag radial... soft.

Any suggestions on a great set of tires all around? I don't winter drive. Looking at changing my wheels so I can go to 315's on rear (with 22mm spacers) and then 285's up front for added grip.

The Vette's come with Pilot Cup 2's but these are pricey at best.

What are you running?

thx!

2. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are you looking to go stock size or something different?

Somebody posted up a nice list of all the stock size tires and some alternatives as well.

I actually like the OE Pirelli's but if I was in the market for something different I'd consider Cooper RS3-S. In fact they are $70 off for a set of four right now. Pretty inexpensive and good tire IMO. I've used them on other cars but not the cat.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    what are you looking to do with your car

drag strip?
    twisty track racing?
    street only?

4. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    remember the Pirellis are on there for good reason--SPEED rating... The last thing you want to have is a tire unravel at 180.

Just sayin'..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i think they chose the pirellis because they are a good all around tire...at least they arent F1's

of course the speed rating was part of it...wouldnt be a hellcat unless it went 198-204mph

i chose the nitto's because they grip the road better and because they are a drag strip tire.......i dont care about handling as much...i assume they reduce cornering because the sides arent as firm....they also reduce the top speed and i dont see myself going over 150mph

if your looking for a Non-DR tire id keep the pirellis......getting 205's or wider i think doesnt help as the sides just bulge and dont give much more of an actual patch on the pavement...

would have been neat if Dodge gave the HC back tires like the Viper....id be willing to pay $2k more a car if they tubed out the trunk...how much would it really have cost extra? (maybe it messes with the unibody too much).......i think its a spot dodge really dropped the ball......tires over all....look at the SXT and RT...the cars look funny from behind because the tires dont fit the bulk of the car...they are way to skinny for such a low/wide car.......Viper size on the HC would have been awesome and took how many tenths off the 1/4 mile?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The pirellis all season tire just suck (in my opinion). I have them and the grip is just terrible. I have a set of MT DR for the track and will probably go with 315/35/R20 for the street with aftermarket rims. How about the Nitto street radials?

7. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got the Summer tires ( Pirellis) they are a good fit for the Hellcat ( all around) not the best for the drag strip but good for fair weather driving.
    Doubt they will last more than 16-20 K. These seem to be better than the F1 tires that I had on another car. Get some rear tires and rims for the track and thats about the best you can do. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. srtfan

srtfan SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I wish I had a track to play at, or a drag strip for that matter. I'm 100% street but that doesn't mean I don't hit the back roads and open it up, twisties, straights etc. I just want something that will be sticky and will be alright when it rains.

I was pondering Toyo R888's but I heard they are noisy and somewhat terrible for street use.

9. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cooper rs3s

• Like Like x 1
  10. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Cooper RS3-S is a 106Y rated tire so it meets the load and speed rating. Technically the Pirelli is 106Y+ I think which gives it a speed rating up to 200 but I think you are good with 106Y.

Treadepot.com generally has great prices on this tire and shipping is reasonable plus $70 off right now. Last set I had were made in USA which is always a bonus in my mind. This tire is worthy of consideration.

I was going to get these next but when tire rack dropped the price of the Pirelli OE summer tires I grabbed an extra set.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Had 295s on my Shelby and they were awesome. Only street tire that would hook up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wish the made these in OE size. Killer tire for sure!

13. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    295s are just a little wider and work great. This car needs wider tires for sure

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 2510

2510 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Michelin PS 2's are an AWESOME tire had 2 sets on my E60 M5 I loved them. Great in wet, no road noise and they don't feel every rut in road, unbelivable. I had (3) sets of TOYO's Proxes on my '08 SRT8 (200K miles that;s why 3 sets) and these were great also for same reasons as the PS 2's. I go between 40 - 50K out of them. The one tire I woud never use again was those shit show tires - Goodyear F1 Supercar - ugh the worst - JMHO

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat