Tire repair???

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by DrumHellCat, Sep 2, 2015.

1. DrumHellCat

DrumHellCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had recently had an issue with losing tire pressure in my DS rear tire (tires have less than 2000kms/1250 miles on them). When I parked overnight I would lose 1-2 PSI by morning. I used some soapy water to try and find a leak with no luck so I thought maybe it was a valve stem issue. I took the car to the local dealer to have them check it out. They called me within an hour to tell me I had picked up a nail and it was good to go. I asked if they had put a new tire on and they said no they patched it. I didn't think speed rated tires could be patched but they said it was no problem and the tire would be fine. My car is a daily driver, looking for thoughts/opinions on whether or not I should be buying a new tire or drive on the patched one?

2. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got screwed in one tire and they roped it, 12,500 miles later, it's still good.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  3. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if it's a small nail don't worry about it. Not like your doing 199mph are you ;)?

4. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am an ex-tire dealer with multiple tire stores--I prefer brown rope plug to patch period--I have personally repaired thousands of tires and while patch failure can occur, I have NEVER had a rope plug come back ever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. DrumHellCat

DrumHellCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Haha, nope. Not setting any speed records. Just a spirited drive on the country highways from time to time. I was just not sure how reliable the plugs/patches are. Would hate to have a blow out passing a semi or something...

6. adub

adub Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Once a tire is repaired, its tolerance near the upper limits of heat/pressure is compromised, this is what you are referring to when you say "cannot be repaired"

They can be repaired and they will be fine during normal driving, but generally speaking repaired tires are frowned upon if you are pushing the limits. Driving schools, mile racing, etc.

While the patch is better, I have quit using them because its impossible to get a shop to install one without scratching a wheel. I usually just use the rope and call it done.

7. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes the "speed rated tires can't be patched" is a myth. Patch it and forget it.

8. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ive always used the rope and never had a problem with them

9. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I buy used police cars and I know in my area the police tires are never patched only replaced because of high speed safety I guess.

10. foxrider

foxrider Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here's a tech article from TireRack on the subject. Speed rated tires are their bread and butter.

Flat Tire Repairs

One of the last sights drivers want to see when they are getting ready to drive their vehicle is a flat tire. They realize that in addition to the immediate inconvenience of having to install their spare tire, they will have to get the punctured tire repaired. And if their tire is a steel belted radial (and whose isn't?), it must be repaired immediately to minimize potential long term deterioration started by the puncture.

A punctured speed rated tire brings with it additional considerations. While some tire manufacturers "allow" a tire to retain its speed rating if a specified multi-step repair procedure is followed exactly, most tire manufacturers reason that since they have no control over the damage caused by the puncture or the quality of the repair, they cannot confirm that the tire has retained its high speed capability. Therefore, their policy is that a punctured and repaired tire no longer retains its speed rating and should be treated as a non-speed rated tire.

While almost any sharp object left on the road can cause a puncture, most are caused by small nails and screws (typically less than 1/4" in diameter).

Guidelines allow the repair of punctures in a tire's tread area of up to 1/4" in diameter. Repair of larger tread punctures and of punctures to the tire's shoulder and sidewall areas are not recommended.

There are three primary considerations when repairing a punctured tire. You need to evaluate the damage the object caused as it punctured the tire, reestablish an airtight seal of the tire's innerliner, and completely fill the path the object took through the tire. Typically a mushroom-shaped patch and plug combination repair is considered to be the best method of repairing a punctured steel belted radial.

[​IMG]

Any repair attempted without removing the tire from the wheel is improper. Without inspecting the inside of the tire for hidden damage comes the risk of returning a weakened tire to service. Punctures in the tread area that looked repairable have revealed upon further investigation that the object that punctured the tire had been long enough to cut the tire's sidewall from the inside. Without dismounting the tire, the hidden damage would have been missed.

Simply plugging a tire from the outside without removing the tire from the wheel is improper. (If a tire is punctured while off-roading far away from civilization and a spare tire isn't available, a plug may serve as a temporary low speed solution that must be replaced with a proper repair as soon as possible upon returning to the road.)

Additionally, any repair that doesn't completely fill the path the object took through the tire is incomplete. While a patch on the inside of the tire reseals the innerliner, it does not fill the path of the puncture. This will allow moisture to reach the steel belts and/or the casing cords causing them to rust or deteriorate.

There are many different rubber compounds used in a tire. The tire's innerliner uses a special rubber compound that has the ability to better retain air. Once punctured, the innerliner must be cleaned, buffed, cemented, patched and coated to assure its ability to retain air has been restored. Since this can only be done from inside the tire, it's another reason that a plug-only repair is improper.

Continuing to drive on a tire with a slow leak may allow moisture to seep around the object and into the tire. This will reduce the probability that the tire can be repaired properly because the moisture will ultimately reach the internal steel and fabric cords used to reinforce the tire and possibly cause rust and loss of strength. To assure reestablishing a watertight seal the injury must be cleaned with a specially designed cutting drill that removes rust and sizes the injury properly to accept the rubber stem of the patch. Cemented in place, the stem will vulcanize with the tire to help prevent moisture from reaching the tire's reinforcing cords from the outside.

While indoor laboratory tests have shown that freshly punctured and properly repaired speed rated tires can still achieve high speeds, it is not recommended that repaired street tires, or punctured DOT-legal competition tires and racing slicks be used for track events.

How do you know which procedures a tire dealer uses? Ask them! But be aware that if they say they can repair a tire in 10 minutes for under $10 dollars without removing it from the wheel, they aren't following the Rubber Manufacturer's Association procedures. A correctly done flat repair that follows the multi-step repair procedures will take approximately 30 minutes and probably cost around $30. Driving on an improperly repaired tire is dangerous because it can further damage the tire and/or allow its strength to deteriorate over time. An improperly repaired tire driven at high speeds may suddenly fail, causing loss of vehicle control. Additionally, the use of an innertube as a substitute for a proper repair generates additional heat and should not be considered.

• Useful Useful x 3
  11. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    a screw or nail punctures a tire. the screw or nail gets removed (I use some dikes or pliers). It comes out straight with the outside portion scrubbed from the road.

How much other damage could the inside of the tire have? Its a spikey nail pushing a hole through the tire not an knife slicing a slit on the inner portion.....\

And with the rope type plug, the plug is doubled up and pushed through the abraided punctured hole and coated with self vulcanizing rubber cement, so there is a small mushroom seal on the inner surface. Thats my theory and im sticking to it

12. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    no matter how wrong it may be. lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    just adding a comment here------if you use the fix-o-flat that tire is garbage.....they cant just patch it....fix o flat gets all over inside the tire and the tire has to be tossed....so if you get a flat use the air only part of your tire kit first....then use the gunk part only if the air doesnt hold.....learned this lesson with my 2011..

14. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    have repaired several tires that have been filled with sealer. bit of a pain to clean out but they repair just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    not what Dodge city in Brookfield,WI told me.....

they said once its in there the tire is trash....it will never balance or whatever the reason....was i lied to?