Tire warm up question

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Noquarter, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am running MT Street R's on 18 inch Bravados.

Any tips on how long I need to be warming them up? My friend who has a low 10 sec NOS car says I need to get them way more smokey that I have been. But I watched the video from Top Cat run and he didnt seem to get them too smokey.

At first my burnouts where just first to second and holding it for a good 5 seconds...
    Now I am going to third and going for a good 8-9 seconds which seems to produce a lot more smoke.

They do seem to hook better after a long burn out. But I am also getting the little rubber rollies on the tire.. which MT says is a no no.

Just wanting to get some thoughts on how you guys do it.

2. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have Nitto NT05R's on 18" Bravados. I have experimented a lot with pressure, but 17 cold seems to work good sofar. If i check them right after a run they are 18.5-19 psi..

I am doing a 6-7 second burnout, smoke just starts to plume then i creep forward. I let the trans shift itself and i know its getting into 3rd if not 4th. The track where i go is not very consistent on the starting line but the longer the burny the better my car seems. I know the Nittos are supposedly not as tacky as the MT's & require a longer burnout from what i read on here.

I have done some 10 second or so smokey ass burny's and have just the slightest bit of buildup on the outside edges of the contact patch of the tread. My tires are not driven on the street, have a good 30 1/4 mile runs on them, and really show no signs of wear....i think i am too easy on them in the water box.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good to know..
    I forgot to mention I am running at 18psi. I also have found that the longer the burn out the better, but just found it odd that MT recommends a quick burn out. *shrug*. The track will be pretty cold now with these temps, so I am sure that will affect it as well.. From what I understood though you want the tire temp within 20 degrees of the track temp.

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is no real answer that fits everything, track prep, temperature, tire pressure all effect how you will do a burn out on the MT's
    If the track is warm and prep is good do a good burnout on the first run, then on runs after that you can get away with a short cleaning of the tires, start your tire pressure at 17 psi, if the tire hooks add one more lb for each pass until the tires break loose, you will then know where to run them for those conditions.
    Last outing we started at 17 psi and by days end were running 20 psi on both Linda's and my car.
    TC

• Useful Useful x 1