To The Executives at Dodge

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by ChallengerDad, Mar 5, 2015.

1. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We know Dodge has a presence here on our site. To date, we haven't received a public statement from those people, so I'm opening communication with them - and their superiors - here.
    Please make sure they read this. It's a message they need to hear:

To The Executives at FCA/Dodge,

Maybe some of you are true "car guys" and not just bean-counters sitting in an office. Maybe some of you are in sync with the engineers that were given the blessing to create one of the all-time greatest muscle cars in American auto-maker history. IF any of you are, maybe you'll listen to what your brand-loyal customers are saying about how you've handled the roll-out and distribution of the Challenger Hellcat.

The engineers at Dodge got the green-light to make the most powerful production muscle car in history, and succeeded! Congrats to them! It looked like many of the Dodge performance loyal finally had what we'd been lacking for so long - a company that listened to us! But since then, something went seriously wrong...

When the Challenger Hellcat was being unveiled to the public, rumors swirled about that this would be a "limited production car", and that getting our hands on one would be extremely difficult. It sounded like the dealers were setting themselves up for big DMAs tacked on to the sticker when these things would finally hit the showroom floor - most, being out of the financial reach of the "ordinary car enthusiast" - you know, the people that asked you to build this car.
    But Tim Kuniskis repeatedly and adamantly insisted that the car would NOT be limited in production, and that if we ordered one, Dodge would build it. Simple! This was re-emphasized numerous times over the summer and autumn of 2014. There was NO MENTION of "allocations", production order or distribution restrictions, or limitations on the number of orders from dealers that were following Dodge's wishes for getting these cars into customers' hands, not sitting in a roped-off-area within the showroom. We were strongly led to believe that it didn't matter where we ordered our Hellcats, Dodge would build them! Period.
    MANY of your loyal Dodge customers immediately began seeking out dealers that would sell us Hellcats at MSRP or lower (they were few and far between), and promptly presented deposits to those rare dealers that still had integrity, along with our orders - and our trust.
    MANY of those orders were placed on September 9, 2014 - after the initial ordering date was pushed back from August. But we endured and began making plans for delivery of our Hellcats sometime during the winter of 2014-2015. You see, we're "car guys", and felt we could believe what the "car guys" at Dodge that were in charge of production were telling us.
    The Charger Hellcat was also subsequently delayed from orders opening in December, but orders were finally accepted in January of 2015**.

Let's skip forward to early 2015. After a botched roll-out that was based on "synching Challenger Hellcat arrivals at dealerships" (and held many completed cars at various staging locations, while remaining "mum" on production problems with satin black hoods and sunroofs), the Challenger Hellcat customers with orders placed for many months already got wind that someone at the executive level came up with the asinine notion that "allocations" would be a good idea (mid-stream through this process, mind you) through an obscure Blog. Dodge/FCA not only changed the rules mid-way through the game, but FORGOT TO TELL THEIR CUSTOMERS! All we've seen are seeds planted in various media sites, reiterating the same leaked secret! Nothing's come directly from Dodge.

To my understanding, Dodge has always built cars in the order that orders have been placed/received....but not this time. Dodge has always been glad to sell as many cars as ordered (that what keeps the doors of the company open, right?), but now dealerships - that are selling at MSRP (exactly as was stated Dodge wanted) and their customers are being told that this is not honorable? That they've ordered "too many" cars for their real, paying, Dodge-loyal customers? I couldn't believe what I read in that blog - dealerships taking too many orders?
    And here's the real kicker..... While your real, paying, Dodge-loyal customers wait indefinitely for their orders to be filled, Dodge is STILL TAKING ORDERS for more Hellcats!

The communication through this process has been horrendous, not to mention contradictory from beginning to end. Until recently, Dodge has been conspicuously silent and lacking in keeping their customers advised of the process of their orders / builds. And the information we HAVE received has not been directly from Dodge, but through media outlets. This is definitely NOT a good way to return the loyalty your customers have shown you.
    Keep in mind that the only thing that pulled Chrysler out of bankruptcy was your customers. Bad policies and practices, and ignoring public demands are what got you in trouble in the first place! Have you forgotten those lessons already? Listen to your customers!!!

This is an opportunity to correct some serious mistakes that have been made at the expense of your customers and dealerships - the lifeblood of your company.
    ***Stop taking orders on Challenger Hellcats UNTIL ALL OLD ORDERS ARE FILLED IN THE ORDER THEY WERE PLACED.
    ***Make your policy clearly stated from the onset of rolling out a new model / trim level.
    ***Keep your customers informed of the progress of their orders from beginning to end.
    ***REWARD THE DEALERS SELLING YOUR PRODUCTS TO REAL CUSTOMERS, not making up names for orders that aren't going to "real people - that are waiting". You know who they are.

IF you drop the ball now, I can assure you that I and MANY OTHER Dodge loyal customers will NEVER buy another one of your products in the future.

YOU have the opportunity to fix this now, before it damages Dodge irreparably.
    We've kept our word. It's past time for you to keep yours! Make this right - while you still have an opportunity.

**corrected.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 25
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  2. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well said! Completely agree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. shaystoy

shaystoy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with what you said. Here is my question: If they stop taking orders, won't that encourage these dealers to mark up the ones they have even more? They can then say, you can't order them anymore so if you want one, you have to pay our mark up. And what's to stop dealers from backing out of the MSRP agreements with "sold order" customers and marking them up claiming they are now "limited production" because you can't order one.

Yes, I agree that it is wrong that new orders are being built before the ones ordered in September but is the answer really to stop taking orders? Or actually build them in the order they were placed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. GALTCAT

GALTCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe a little harsh, but you have the right to vent. And I certainly don't blame you. I feel like venting too.
    Dodge has a opportunity many car companies will never get. If Dodge makes the Challenger Hellcat their pre-eminent trademark vehicle, with satisfied customers, it will bring more customers who will buy more RAM trucks and Grand Cherokees than FCA can imagine. GM and Ford will take a back seat, if Dodge is up to the Challenger. I hope Dodge understands the love of this car by Real American Car Guys.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JBS$

JBS$ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I add to the above, treat the cars in the same manor that they will be treated and maintained by their owners. If Dodge needs to charge an extra fee to be sure that the car is maintained in a clean environment until it is delivered to it's buyer, then give the buyer to option of paying or not.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ChallengerDad

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes. If you want one and haven't ordered, you'll shop around for the best deal - like any other purchase. This is a "want" purchase, not a "need" purchase, so time is on the side of the buyer.

7. ChallengerDad

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sometimes, the truth can be harsh. Bankruptcy and a government bailout were harsh as well.
    If no one holds anyone else to a "higher standard", complacency becomes the norm and honor, excellence and integrity, things of the past.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GALTCAT

GALTCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When Chrysler received the bail-out is was not in our interest. It is in our interest now for them to succeed in a free market. I just hope they don't miss the opportunity to succeed this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JBS$

JBS$ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The problem with the ordering system is this; the Dealer has the option of ordering the car in the Buying Customers name and that name appearing on the window sticker. Few will do this fearing that, for whatever reason, the deal may fall through. Therefore, the orders go through the system in the Dealers name. Note! There are exceptions to this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    What about Chargers? You write "***Stop taking orders on Challenger Hellcats UNTIL ALL OLD ORDERS ARE FILLED IN THE ORDER THEY WERE PLACED."

Charger orders opened on 1/12/15 mine being one of them. You stated dealers were taking orders in Dec 2014 which isn't true, they took deposits because no order could be placed until 1/12/15. I like the letter but it's slanted to Challengers and I've been waiting just as long but couldn't order until 1/12/15

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Harts

Harts Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well written!
    Let's hope that we are not the only one who reads this and that at some point FCA/Dodge will begin to take this more seriously and realize that not only are we a Hellcat buyer but we also support the rest of the Brand. That many of us have multiple Dodge products and keep coming back for more - keeping them alive! Pushing the most loyal fans away will do more harm by word of mouth than halting orders for a few months until they can fix the many issues they have.

Guess I'm preaching to the choir.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JBS$

JBS$ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Galtcat, the Government's purpose was to bail out the unions, any benifits that went to the actual Car Company were accidental.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ChallengerDad

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My deposit went in July, and order placed Sept 9th. As you said, Charger orders weren't open until two months ago. Can you really compare the two? Chargers are coming out of Brampton already. They didn't sit in a lot for weeks on end.
    But the process should apply to ALL Dodges.

14. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It shouldn't be this hard to spend $65k! I'm sure Chevy or Ford would love to have me spend it with them, but I don't want one of thier cars!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ChallengerDad

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed. But some of the dealerships Dodge has targeted in their slimy smear campaign do, in fact, order in their customers' names. It gives the "car guys" buying from them something extra to put in their documentation folders for future reference / collectability. It also lends validation to the "sold order" claim.