To Tint or Not To Tint?? and other extras....

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Scotty2Hotty, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Scotty2Hotty

Scotty2Hotty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have only waited a month so far so I can't complain YET. As I wait though things start going through my mind. My Charger Hellcat will be billet silver with the black rims. I have always tinted all my windows on all of my cars. Even my wife's grand Cherokee has window's tinted. Is the car to much of a collectors item to tint? I don't tint the front windshield or anything, and I am not a gangster. And while we are at it what are some other things that can be done or need to be? Not that anything does need to be done cause these are BADASS off the factory floor!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    its just a car, do what makes you happy.. nothing else matters.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. cruizinrc

cruizinrc HCC New Jersey State President Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Definitely tint it

4. caren

caren Hell-o Kitty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    These cars BEG to be tinted. Especially the Charger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yes to the tint, going to be the first mod I do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Yearight1999

Yearight1999 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Zebug, do you have a good contact for tint?

7. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is the first new car I've bought that I didn't have the dealer tint before delivery. For now I have no plans to tint, depends on how bad my black on black car sucks up the summer heat.

8. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    not yet, I'm not going to be in a hurry to tint her so I will look around once I get the beast.

9. Yearight1999

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was reading about ceramic tint. Looks like the way to go.

10. CanuckH3llKat

CanuckH3llKat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    What is Ceramic tint? I had my 09 Charger tinted, it is dark as s**t. I will get my Hellcat done when arrives, but probably not as dark as my old one.

11. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was curious too...
    Materials
    Ceramic window film is made from nonmetallic nano-particles so fine you cannot see them with your naked eye and are even hard to distinguish under a light microscope. One high-end crystalline film is made up of 200 layers of optical material that is thinner than a sheet of copy paper. Then there are dyed polyester films, metallic films and two-layer films combining dyed and metallic films. Each of these other films are different from ceramic film and each have a place in the market.

Blocking Percentages
    The different film materials can be manufactured with different percentages of transmission in the three light spectrums. When it comes to visual light, the law in your state determines how dark your car's windows can be tinted. You can go online to the International Window Film Association to find out how dark you can go in your state. A reputable dealer or installer should be able to keep you out of trouble with the law by providing you the legal requirements of window tinting in your state (see Resources).

Light Transmission
    You can purchase ceramic films that allow 30 percent -- or the minimum your state allows -- up to 50 percent of the outside light into your car. Crystalline films, which are nearly clear, allow up to 90 percent light transmission. The dyed polyester and polyester or metallic films allow from 5 to 55 percent of the light through your car's windows. Fully metallic films shut light transmission down to 10 to 40 percent providing glare relief.

Heat Blocking
    What will keep you thermally cool while you ride around in the sun is the amount of infrared and heat blocking your car's window tinting provides. The polyester and composite films will block from 45 to 57 percent of the heat. The ceramic film stops 59 percent of the heat coming through your windows while blocking up to 80 percent of the infrared light. Metallic film will block about 72 percent of the outside heat. The top heat and infrared stopper is the crystalline film. It will reject 60 percent of the heat and a whopping 97 percent of the infrared light.

Sun Block
    The ceramic film differs from the other films in that it stops about 99 percent of the ultraviolet part of the spectrum coming through your glass. This is a Sun Protection Factor, commonly known as SPF, of about 1000. It offers far more protection than you can get from sunscreen, not only good for you, but it helps your car's interior as it sits out in the sun.

Electronic Signals
    If you use a cell phone or smartphone in your car or have a GPS system or satellite radio, you can avoid almost certain interference problems by not selecting metallic film and avoid possible problems by not using composite film. The other films do not interfere with the reception of electronic signals.

Durability
    The higher quality films, such as the ceramic, crystalline, top-of-the line polyester and fully metallic film will probably come with a limited lifetime warranty -- lifetime meaning as long as you own your vehicle. You will be warranted against degradation of the solar properties, physical properties, loss of adhesion -- as indicated by bubbles or blisters -- and change in appearance, especially the fading to purple of dyed films or corrosion around the edges of metallic films. Lower-end films may provide only a three-year warranty. The ceramic film, lacking dyes or metal, claims to provide good service for many years.

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tint, definitely Tint

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  13. Yearight1999

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tammie has put the info out there in a wonderful way. What needs to be recognized is ceramic film is middle of the road for Heat Blocking but it is the top for Sun Block. The SPF for UV will keep (or at least reduce) the plastic from fading and cracking with age.

14. Lads14

Lads14 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

15. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you are like me and you want UV/Heat rejection but don't want really dark tint consider checking out 3M Crystalline tint. The film very expensive compared to other tints (it's made up of something like 220 microlayers of flim sandwiched together). Has the UV rejection of limo tint but WAY WAY lighter. I've got Crystalline 40 in other cars and will most likely do the HC with the same.

Here is an example of cost from the guy I use. Regular ceramic tint in the darkness of my choice is $275 for all windows (Hellcat) except the windshield. The same job with Crystalline is $450 (this is material and labor).

Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars trucks - Crystalline - 3M US

What ever you do get good quality tint (decent brand with proven performance) and make sure you tinter is good (ask around if you don't know). The installer is 90% of the job (or more).

Edit: If you like your tint Gangsta style (very dark), then don't waste your time with Crystalline. You won't like it -- too light.

• Useful Useful x 1