Too much traction???

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by im3cpo, Jun 6, 2016.

1. im3cpo

im3cpo Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is tons of talk on here about people changing out tires, wheels, etc., looking for better traction. While I can definitely understand going this route if you drag race your car, I am experiencing something completely opposite of most it seems. Do I have too much traction?!?!?

Here is some background: I have had a number of high horsepower cars. And while I dont track *my* cars, I do have a decent amount of track experience and used to be a Federal Law Enforcement Agent doing dignitary protection, so I also have good amount of driving experience from this as well.

My Hellcat is a manual transmission and I just hit 3K miles. Yes, the car can smoke the tires in 1st gear, but if I have traction in 1st gear going into my 1st to 2nd shift, I can floor the car from that point on and never break lose. This is true even with traction control turned off completely and with the stock summer tires. I checked my car's performance pages and while I had to pay attention to my driving, I did see ~690HP and ~642TQ and 11 pounds of boost under full throttle. I am in Seattle, so basically sea level with ~80F temps and low humidity. Only fuel available is 92 octane, so thats all I have ever run in the car.

I traded in a 2013 GT500 for the Hellcat and comparatively, the GT500 wanted to kill you at all times and honestly was dangerous unless you really knew what you were doing. The Hellcat is a piece of cake to drive and I have not even came close to being caught off guard ever! Is this normal?!? I know the A8 is quite a bit more aggressive gearing, so that could explain some of this, but I would like other 6M owners to chime in with their experience. Has my driving background gotten the better of me or what?!?! :) Or are there just a ton of inexperienced Hellcat owners??

And dont take this as me saying the car is slow. Its most certainly NOT slow by any means... Thoughts?

2. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rolling into the power, rather than stabbing the pedal, makes a huge difference in traction, whether it is an A8 or a M6, and most experienced drivers know this.

I also experienced a lot more traction issues with my 2012 TVS GT500. Under hard acceleration the rear end would step out on you very easy.

I have not had that problem with my Hellcat as even when I lose some traction the car seems to still track straight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hammer Down

Hammer Down Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't really broken traction shifting, either. Although, admittedly, I haven't driven with traction control off that much, either. I think, because I know how quickly these cars can get away from you , I tend to shift and then aggressively feather to the floor. And I did the pulley and dyno'd just over 800 to the rear. I guess it helps a little that I put 10in. replicas in the rear wrapped in 295/35/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

• Like Like x 1
  4. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Since when is spinning the tires a measure of a cars performance?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Since the beginning of time.

It's not accurate but has always been that way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Hammer Down

Hammer Down Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Who said that? I see an observation that I agree with. I just thought the tires would break loose much easier with this much power. I'm happy I have good traction, just surprised. I'm sure that traction control being on plays a large role for me.

7. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Well, I guess people look for different things in a car... for me, if Im spinning, I'm not too happy... because that usually means I'm not winning...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hammer Down

Hammer Down Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are you trolling or just not getting the point? Lol. Not looking for it to spin. Just figured it would be something that took more finesse to not do. I roll out of first fairly hard. Shift to second, ease in for a quick second and then hammer it and she holds. Which is great. I'm just surprised. At least for me I am talking about spirited launches on my street tires. Different ball game on Drs on prepped track. Only launched there twice so far and she just hooked. Again, I don't want the spin. Pleasantly surprised she is not doing it more, though. Maybe that cleared it up. If not, I got nothing else. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. StellasHC

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Yeah, I'm trolling the OP who was wondering why his car doesn't spin the tires... move along

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Hammer Down

Hammer Down Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'll move along. Just don't hit me.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. NMCAT

NMCAT SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What you describe is the same with my m6. I read these posts too with guys saying they can break it loose almost at will and it's just not that easy with the m6. I think that's there difference in the a8 and m6. It's not nearly as aggressive as what they describe. There is nothing up with your car is just the way it is.
    Apparently the way the a8 responds and downshifts is much more aggressive than the m6 in the gearing.
    I'm sure there are people that will read this thread and say we aren't driving aggressive enough, maybe so. I'm sure we could try to drop it in second at 60 mph and break it loose in a bad way. But the way it's geared you have power and such an aggressive downshift just doesn't feel necessary. Maybe that's the difference in the two and the a8 drops way down in gears when you step on it. But the way this car is geared I definately agree it's very easy to drive under power. Even more so than the 392 auto I traded in, but definately way faster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. nocarbutmopar

nocarbutmopar Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    you want spin, take off the traction control

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CanHP

CanHP Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I had a 14 GT500 before this car (M6 HC) so I understand exactly what you mean. The GT500 spun so easily and I think that was 1/2 due to the solid rear axel. I think with this car, aside from it being heavier, it's got a better rear suspension (independent). The gearing in the HC is very similar to the GT500, except that the GT500 had a great 6th gear for highway cruising. This car needs a better 6th for the highway. So the reason the HC does not spin as much
    1. Heavier
    2. Better suspension so it gets better grip.

Keep in mind the GT500 has the same torque or close to the same torque rating as the HC and its a lot lighter.

14. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hmmm...

I live in Colorado, right at 5,000ft, DA is typically 6500ft and 9psi is the max I've seen on boost so far

With traction control in STREET, I am able to lay down interrupted 11's (clearly a sign of the traction control kicking in and saying "no you don't")

I have also done the same thing in a 1-2 shift, again with traction control in STREET.

I have done this not only intentionally, but also without great effort or abuse or side stepping the 3rd pedal.

However I did also do this when it was barely 70F and on the Summer tires, known for liking the heat...

Are you on the Nero's??? Was it unduly hot?

15. GreenPirate

GreenPirate SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am breaking traction in second in our M6 in Street mode. Rear end wriggle and all! I am thinking that the cars are not all the same.