Took the 392 to the track and had a blast

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by AlWakRa, Dec 4, 2016.

1. AlWakRa

AlWakRa Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Hello everybody,

I recently took my Charger SRT 392 to the track and want to give my experience.

[​IMG]

So just to start, I had been tracking at Losail International Circuit for 2 years until now, and I was enthusiast about driving and speeding before that. Thankfully, the time when I was speeding in streets and being reckless has gone and now I just go insane :rolleyes:, yet responsible, in the track.

Since I bought the charger I was keen on testing it there and to look into its potential, which I can say :D it didn't disappoint, it amazed my friends and people there by the lap times I posted, I, myself, am stunned with the experience.

So, lets start with my experience which is very different than driving it in streets, the first thing I did was to change Mode to Track, hold TCS button until hearing one nice beep, put it in Drive and click the paddle shift, why D? to let the car shift automatically @ 6400 rpm (tried a quarter mile run and the car will not shift if it is in M mode, getting an error).

After looking at car behavior in turns, I decided to give it a quick lap, and what a feeling from the time I stepped on the brakes, it gives confidence to delay the braking as much as possible. The Bilstein are amazing, and they do a great job in reducing body roll. The car felt balanced and controllable, lets say it oversteer and understeer sometimes but not too much. The Pirellies felt great and predictable, square setup was amazing, as I am coming from a staggered track car. I cannot say much to praise the development went into it, I think having identical brakes and nearly same suspension with Hellcat did a great job in favor of the 392.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The surprise here is, it thrashed my WIP track car in lap time, getting a clear 4 seconds less, being heavier would suggest the 6.4 is key, but no, the difference wasn't in straights, but in TURNS!!!! However, my track car lacks in suspension and brake department as it is still work in progress, also, it is cheaper to maintain than the 392, and it is easier on tires and brakes.

Here is a video from the track

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like a lot of fun. were these the summer or all season tires? what pressure you running?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  3. AlWakRa

AlWakRa Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Yes, the P-zeros are standard over here in Qatar. Was running 32 psi cold. I think it went up to 38-39 psi before the session finished.

4. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for info on pressure. that doesn't really clarify on the tire, since the all seasons can be referred to as p zeros also (they are p zero nero). I would assume they are the summer non-nero though.

5. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.:)

6. AlWakRa

AlWakRa Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    :confused: Sorry, I though the all season is different brand, and yes they are the summer tires.

You are welcome :)

• Like Like x 1