TPMS info

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Tire God, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If the tpms light is a solid light, it means low tire pressure. If the tpms light is flashing, it means a system malfunction for example, low sensor battery, dead sensor, or the receiver not working properly. The light comes on after a tire has dropped below the threshold of 25% below placard pressure. So if it says 32psi, it has to come on when it reaches 24 psi or lower. Sensors run off of a watch battery, last about 4-6 years or 100,000 miles on average.

• Useful Useful x 2
  2. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Was wondering if they still know where they are on the car after being rotated. Or will the info be incorrect location-wise after...

3. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All the new dodges have an auto-relearn system. It takes up to one day of driving for the system to reset itself properly. Each tpms sensor has its own ID number and the computer will learn the new positions after a while.

• Useful Useful x 3
  4. Slowpoke387

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Awesome, thanks for that info.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Autolearn the position - but you can't always trust them. Our '10 Jeep and the 09 Challenger were prone to showing the tires in the wrong position. Not sure about the '15 Challenger, I haven't tested it. So if the system shows a low tire and it doesn't make sense when you check it, check all 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Slowpoke387

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah i kinda just wanted to know so i could maybe know which one to check first. If it only shows one and its low then i wouldnt have to chk em all unless i wanted to.

7. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Generally it's one day of driving, meaning driving for 24 hrs. It might take a while.

8. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ours always have relearned quickly maybe a couple of miles but I think the manual says up to 20 minutes of driving.

9. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If I swap a wheel off of my car with a wheel off another Hellcat, how does the tpms deal with being on a new car?

10. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If it is truly the exact year make and model it will work perfect. On rare occasions the vehicle manufacturer will change the type of tpms sensor from year to year, like if yours is a 2016 a 2015 sensor might not work. But if it is the same year make and model, it will relearn the sensor ID like normal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. want2

want2 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just purchased a new set of rims and tires with the OEM Schrader TPMS installed and not from dealer. These were immediately recognized so where is the year relevant? My 'Cat is a 15. Also on the battery issue, the stock Schrader does not have a battery listed in the parts book at the dealer. When they go out, you just replace.

12. Tire God

Tire God Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Correct. You can't replace the battery you have to replace the whole sensor. In some cases the vehicle manufacturer will change the type of tpms from year to year, like going from 315mhz to 433mhz ect... Not saying in your car. I haven't looked at the sensors in the Hellcats yet to see if they have changed at all. I'm sure it's the same. I was giving that info just in case. The NHTSA has been pushing the vehicle manufacturers to try to limit the different types to make them more uniform across the board as well as not use bolt in, and to use a rubber stem because it causes less probems. In fact honda, acura, vw, audi, have done away with the tpms "direct system" and went back to the old school "indirect system" where there are no longer sensors in the wheels, instead it uses the abs sensors to track the revolutions per mile and when it senses one tire spinning at a different speed due to low pressure, it turns the light on. Only downside is if they all lose pressure at the same rate at the same time it won't trigger it.

• Useful Useful x 1