Track Cat Brakes

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by Charger_Hellcat, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Charger_Hellcat

Charger_Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I wanted to start a thread about brake upgrades on Charger Hellcats for Track use. I recently felt brake fade for the first time running my HC at the F1 track in Austin. I have been running my car there for months now, and I recently upgraded my tires and am now hitting higher top speeds in the straights as I am coming into the corner faster. Your butt puckers a little at almost 160MPH when the corner comes and peddle gets soft :) The only upgrades I did on the braking system to date is to change out the brake fluid from the stock DOT3 rated to a Mopar DOT4 (another topic of conversation for this thread). I have a few upgrades planned, but the first is new front rotors and pads. I have been waiting for the new PowerStop Track day front kit made just for Hell Cats. I just received the first ever pair to ship to anyone :) Thanks PowerStop!!

I'm looking to see if anyone has any feedback on upgrades they have made or if they have used PowerStop products in their HC on a road track. I believe these will work great, but we will have to see. They are high carbon infused rotors and carbon fiber metallic pads. The original version still on their site where supposed to be drilled and slotted, but the finished product is just slotted. They say the heat dissipation between the two types are very similar, but the non drilled don't crack :)

Here is a link: Power Stop Track Day Brake Kits | Power Stop

So if anyone has input on pads and rotors, brake fluid, brake lines, or anything else brake related I would like to know.

Here is a video of my last track day with break fade and some pics of the brake kit.

20160223_125001.jpg 20160223_125330.jpg 20160223_125102.jpg 20160223_125140.jpg 20160223_125243.jpg 20160223_125300.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Megamike55

Megamike55 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know if the rotors will be much of a difference from stock, but the pads probably will. The brakes are definitely strong already on our cars. During my track run I spoke to an owner of a BMW M5 and he said his brakes where fading after 6 or 7 laps, and mine held up until about 8 or 9 laps. I had the stock brake fluid, so switching to DOT 4 may have improved further. Besides having calipers much larger than the M5, I think the performance edge with the brakes was also due to the superior cooling ducts integrated into body molding. modifying the cooling further could be somewhere to look for improving brake performance.

But the biggest hit against the Hellcat on the track is its weight. If there was a way to shed 500 lbs, that would make a huge difference. I just can't figure out how without doing some interior gutting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are several brake fluids out there. My favorite considering price is ATE Super Blue and Gold. They have 2 different colors so when you bleed your brakes you see the color change and know you have fresh fluid. It's what I use for track days.
    Next in line to me is Mogul. It's more expensive but has a higher dry boiling point.
    Then the best is Castrol SRF. It's very expensive but as far as I know has no rival for track performance. I would not use that fluid for a car that is primarily a street driver. Not worth it to me.

This company you mention is now making Hellcat replacement rotors? Price?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Charger_Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    TrackDay, Thanks for the feedback.

Here is the link for the kit I bought. Its about $1800 for front rotors and pads. These are rated for track and are installed now.
    PowerStop® - Track Day Drilled and Slotted Brake Kit

Previously I purchased their Extreme Z26 Carbonfiber ceramic pads with stock rotors and blew them out after one track day :( I found out the hard way that I should read the fine print. They say not suggested for track use. They where right...

What are the specs for the Castrol SRF fluid? Is it DOT4 or some synthetic DOT5 or 5.1 type? I read that we should not use synthetic DOT5 in our brake systems. Its not good for it. I want the best I can get...

5. Charger_Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
  6. Charger_Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I agree the stock brakes did well for me. Nothing really made me want to change other then wanting a little better stopping advantage so I gave these a shot. They are Brembos after all.

When you look at the new ones they look almost identical to the stock ones. I originally ordered them because they where shown and advertised as drilled and slotted, so it seemed like it would help in cooling. In the end they are just slotted like stock because the drilled version would crack!

Maybe if I removed myself and my instructor from the car and drove it by remote control we would shed 500LBs. Its to beautiful of a car to gut and make a true track only car.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Porterfield R4-S pads dudes. If anyone is interested I will post up the sizes tonight. Or contact Dave Zechhousen with Zechhousen Racing. I have trusted Dave for these products for years. He sold me these and they are unbelievable smooth, street manners are A+, I don't know what brake fade is on the track. It may happen, but has not yet.

I will be taking advice here and changing my fluid, probably using the Mogul product as several people at the track recommended it especially our Mopar Bro's who had the Vipers. Same for the darn PS fluid, something needs to change there because I am not liking a rag tied around the PS pump reservoir lid to contain spray.

We will get it right guys, these monsters are not bad right out of the showroom, we are close to having big fun!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What am I missing here???

$1800 for fronts
    $2370 for front/rear

I get the whole racing = money, but this seems out of touch, that seemingly puts the cost of a front rotor at about $850 EACH and the rears at about $250 EACH...

Our fancy front two-piece Brembo rotors aren't worthy???

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Charger_Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    DG. I will do a full report back on these pads after March. If they feel bad or the same as stock I will let you know. I am interested in trying R4-S Pads next. Let see.

Quick Q about the PS fluid. I had the same issue on my first track day, but its never happened again after the level went down a bit. You seeing it every time?

I agree they are not perfect stock, but I am working hard to make it as close as possibe to it :)

10. Charger_Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    BULL. Its looking like the stock rotors are just fine. I am just trying to see if I can get the brakes to ride a little cooler on the track or handle the heat a little better. In the end I understand i could be or might be wasting money, but Its part of my hobby and I love it :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. BULL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I

I guess I would be better with it if I didn't believe that track pads and DOT4 wouldn't get you there, which is what I think you've said...

I don't even mind upgrading the rotors, it just seems a bit much for a rotor...???

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Charger_Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The stock rotors cost about the same.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. BULL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Wow,

I also thought about my rifle scope, I paid $3400 for it, most people freak out about that too, saying that $1500 would have got me the same thing...

I tell them they're wrong...

This is no different, my apologies..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. kpbrown84

kpbrown84 Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The video and car data is very good. Can you tell me what camera and software you used. Very impressive.

15. Charger_Hellcat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    No worries. Its all good!