Tracked the Cat today!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Hemibuck, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So drag racing is fun but having an open day at the track is on another level! Wow what a blast!! I pushed the cat to the edge and she held up well. All except for a little spurt of steering fluid from the reservoir that shot out. Think it's too full but I will make sure tomorrow morning when it's cold and suck some out if needed. All the gauges stayed in the safe range.

The only down side to the day is two things; first the tires are going to get shredded and second the clear bra does it's job but it still took a pounding on the straight aways keeping up with the ZO6. It's wasn't a new ZO6 but it had 705 HP and the cat stayed right with it. And with that you find out where you should have put painters tape and or clear bra. I was a little upset about it but 99% of it buffed out and my guy said he could fix whatever I did.

Overall the car handled quite well and I was even more than impressed with the people that were there. When 3 Vette owners, a new LS1 Camero owner and a GT500 owner come over to check out your car and compliment you on it you know you are in good company. They had nothing but good things to say and in fact they all gave me pointers on how to pull the correct lines and said I did a pretty good job for never doing anything like this before.

Learning the car took a few laps. I didn't need to go into 2nd and found myself bouncing it off the rev-limiter once and riding high in the 5K range when I didn't need to so I stayed in 3rd and never got out of 5th until I was in the straight aways. I saw 140+ MPH there and heated up those brembos to a nice haze of blue on the rotors but never felt any fade ; ) For a 4300 LB car to hang with that group I would say that this big beast handles much better than most realize. I wish the seats were a little more bolstered but they are not bad. I would like to do it again but I know for sure I'm going to be covering up the front end better.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hemibuck check out a thread we have in the Racing Forum. We are finding the same thing as you, this thing is a noble competitor. The Hellcat motor makes it a monster. ROAD RACING! | SRT Hellcat Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. FireLane

FireLane SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    With some better tires and some more seat time you'll be surprised at how much better you'll do, sounds like you had a blast!

4. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes it was an absolute blast but I'm not happy with the damage to the front end. Although it's minor it's more than I bargained for on my brand new ride. But when that motor is screaming you just want more! Next time I will be using painters tape even over the clear bra section. Getting rocks slug at the car at 140+ is pretty devastating. But one thing I am impressed with are the ZL1 rock guards. They are amazing!

5. FireLane

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That's one thing I'm nervous about, I'm picking my car up in Wisconsin in the next 2 weeks or so and driving it back 1500 miles to South Florida. I'm trying to think of what I should do to protect the front end on that long drive

6. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just don't ride the ass of a Z06 at 140 and you will be fine.....

7. FireLane

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Exactly!! Lol

8. 81cj8

81cj8 Worth the wait!

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey firelane, I'm picking up HC today, was planning on taping front end. Did you end up taping yours for the trip home? Someone mentioned the engine heat turning the tape gooey. Wondering if it's worth it

9. FireLane

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I didn't and for the most part I was fine but did get 1 very small rock chip. I fixed it the best I could with some touch up paint and I am going to be getting a clear bra in the next week or two.