Traction Control at the Drag Strip

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by PlumTexasCrazy, Jun 8, 2016.

1. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have been going around the water and turning off traction control(push and wait 10sec) then backing up and warming the tires!! I saw a few comments on other post, some are doing burnouts in sport mode!! What are the pros doing??? Is this okay?? Please advise and thanks!!

2. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you have street tires doing a burnout will only glaze them losing traction. Street tires just need a quick spin to clean them of rocks and such....drag radials and slicks on the other hand need heating to stick..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    J, I can tell you I burned out great, track tranny/sport traction/street suspension. Traction control not touched. Some folks say watch it, the back brakes may be intervening. Of course it still spins, but are the brakes heating up?? Maybe some others can verify and add to this?

• Like Like x 1
  4. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am a Pro. I do my burnouts and actually drag race in the Sport mode for Stability/Traction. I NEVER turn traction control full off. Never. In fact on one particular day at the track my BEST 60 foot was with the traction control full on (street setting by mistake). Fact is, if you are not spinning a lot, it is not going to intervene at all.

I know for a fact that doing a good smokey burnout and lowering the pressure with the Pirelli Summer tires increases traction on the launch and also down track. This also helps a lot with the Goodyears on my 2015 RAM 5.7 A8 3.21 RCSB with Locking rear axle. It will dead hook. Those that drive around the water and are not doing good burnouts are living in the past.

Of course if you are not serious about doing a good run then by all means do whatever you like............

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The one time I went to the track, my buddies told me to drive around the water. Didn't understand why until I bought the hellcat and educated myself with the countless threads abt it.
    Thanks brother

• Like Like x 1