TRACTION CONTROL FULL OFF

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by dragrcr, Jun 17, 2016.

1. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was at Irwindale last night and saw a really nice new Cadillac CTS Sedan hit the wall right in front of me. He took off and was in the right lane going maybe 40 MPH and was spinning and the ass end went left and then he corrected and the ass went right and he went into a long exaggerated spin across the left lane stuffing the nose into the wall. Coolant was spilled, front AND side air bags were deployed. I could not help but notice it had nice wheels while it was sitting there all smashed up, AND nice yellow Brembo calipers.

So, let's review............ Sport mode = NO CRASH...........Traction control FULL OFF = CRASH !

It's your choice.

. BEST SIDE CROP.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The actual equation is (B + U) X (R + T) = C

B = Bad driver
    U = Uncontrolled wheel spin
    R = Racing
    T = Track
    C = Crash

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like he spun out and forgot to get out of the go pedal.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hammer Down

Hammer Down Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had trouble launching on Saturday. One of my attempts, I hammered it. Fished left slightly, then to the right slightly. Then I got out of it. Made more runs. If you are fish tailing like that, you are not going to set a personal best, anyway. Get off the long skinny pedal, take a crappy time and run it again. I don't understand the whole stay with it thing. Just get off the gas.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I completely shut off traction control every time I drove my Shelby GT500 and every time I drive the Hellcat and I have Never lost control or put a scratch on the car.

You have to KNOW your limits.

P.S. - Knowing how to drive also helps.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bad driver, I never run at the track with traction control on. You know there use to be a day that there was NO traction control, what did they do then?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. nocarbutmopar

nocarbutmopar Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That was a CTS right?
    I dont drive a CTS I drive a Charger, a Hellcat Charger no ETC required

9. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Which tire CTS guy was running?

• Like Like x 1
  10. BBatyjr

BBatyjr SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DOH!

11. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No, he did what any normal person would do. It got out of shape and he corrected and then it went the other way and he corrected and it was too far out of shape to get it back so he locked all 4 wheels and slid around stuffing the front end into the wall.

The only thing is, the second my car spins at all, I know I am not going to put a good number up on the score board, so I abort the run. I do not race on street tires. That would be like going to a "no prep" drag race with an 8 second quarter mile car. You are ASKING to crash. But hundreds do..............and only a few crash. But they DO crash! LOL

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  12. Fireball

Fireball Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What a shame to see such lack of experience in an expensive car end in tragedy. Good thing he didn't crash into another persons car.

• Like Like x 2
  13. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I kind of agree with you. I am an excellent driver with good instincts. But what if you run over a patch of oil or cut down a tire by hitting a chunk of metal that you did not see and it puts the car sideways at 80 MPH? If you do not believe something unexpected could happen that will exceed your reaction times or what the car is capable of doing with your input, then you are fooling yourself. I would rather leave the ability of the car to take some action and help me out and save me. I have seen this FIRST HAND driving in the rain one day. A guy driving on a wide open concrete overpass (3 lanes each way plus 2 turning lanes) just us 2 cars, suddenly turned right into me. I think he realized he needed to be in the left lane to get on the freeway in his desired direction and made this sudden move. It was perfect timing for him to hit me and I just yanked the wheel HARD to the left taking me over into the other lanes and then a BIG yank/correction back the other way to straighten it out and NOT ANY fishtailing whatsoever. All in a steady rain/wet roads. I think without help I would have easily spun on the initial hit of the steering wheel or the correction. I am a good driver but not that good.

Also, for all you experts that think the traction control is slowing you down, you are also unnecessarily defeating the traction control in my opinion.......One night at Irwindale I made 5 or 6 passes. But on one Pass I was staged and the starter turned on the red flashing lights. So I backed out and turned the car off. Mainly because I do not know how long it will be until it is safe. And soon after he gives the all clear. So it is time and I start the car and stage. I launch like normal and as soon as the car shifts to second gear I figure out I screwed up because the car stuttered on the shift to second indicating I was in STREET mode. I forgot to put the car in my Custom Mode. Guess what? The car was about .1 slower as expected because of the slow exaggerated shifts, BUT, that happened to be the BEST 60 foot the car did on that night.

Also on my way to the track one time there is an all concrete road, 3 lanes on each side and I am in front at a red light. And I RARELY do this. But they were checking out the car and I was feeling frisky, so I rolled it out to get ahead of the cars on each side of me and I stabbed the throttle to about 1/2 way. I did not floor it but gave it just enough to spin the tires. So it spun through 1rst gear shifted to second and spun all the way through second gear. I am on my ET Street "R"s and it left 2 black marks where you could clearly see black marks and see the gap that the gear shift caused. HMMMmmmmm, ALL in pure street mode. So, I don't get it? Why do you think it is slowing you down and take the chances that you do?

I have been DRAG Racing for 40 years and probably have 1000's of passes and I do not feel like I need to defeat traction control. I have never had any indication that it slows me down or inclination to do so.

Good luck, you are going to need it........

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I tried a hard launch with traction control full off one time and one time only.:eek: I think I soiled my pants. :confused: Never, ever again.;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hear what you are saying and I agree that you cannot be prepared for ALL situations.

That is why I stated you have to KNOW your limitations.
    You should not be slamming the pedal to the floor while running street tires, and not expect the car to step out on you.

One advantage I have is that I grew up in North Dakota and learned to drive rear wheel vehicles on icy snow covered surfaces. You HAVE to learn to drive in bad conditions if you live in ND since the winters there last 14 months a year with the average temperature right around "Holy F*** it is cold out".

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1