Traction thoughts after first racing season.....

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by DB2, Oct 14, 2015.

1. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Anyone thought of going to a wider tire than a 305?

I have Nitto NT05r's on bravado 18x10's. If track prep is great i have no issue "hookin & bookin", but 50% of the time i have some slip. I have tried many different burnout methods, duration's, around the water, through the water, in the water...... Tire pressures ranging from 16 psi cold to 20 psi cold & still have mixed results. Again, if the track prep is right all is well, but wouldnt it make sense to go wider even if they stick out? I could care less what they look like cuz i swap em out at the track anyways.

I had a lot of fun this year getting to know my car & nailing the 10's but there were multiple times that i entered a gamblers or other bracket style race that i blew my dial due to traction. When traction is an issue then my reactions suck cuz im unsure of whether to pin it or roll into it, etc. I love test n tune but i also love the pressure of putting some coin on the line & workin on my RT's.

I will likely not do any engine/ECU mods for next year, but may look into suspension bushing upgrades or even some poly engine/tranny mounts, damn they seem floppy....but what im really lookin into is going wider on a drag radial or mabye goin full slicks on 17's. Again im not lookin for fastest of the fastest of the fastest & im aware of the smaller the footprint the better, but i certainly want to get outta the hole with the pedal down. Where i go may not always have the best prep & im lookin to get around that irregardless of looks.

Weld has an 18x12 & i could stick a M&H 325 racemaster DR on there, but im not sure of fitment.

Anyone else having similar issues or thoughts? Im just spitballin here, my drag tire experience is limited to the Hellcat & mabye bigger isnt better. But i dont have a track in my backyard, im an hour away from the closest one & i hate goin there & fightin track condition all night.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  2. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why not run the Nitto 555R drag radials? That's what I did as my daily driver, they work fine in the rain and I ran a 10.8 with them at the track.

3. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A wider tire is not the answer, if track prep is bad or going away as the day goes on you will have to adjust your game, no you won't be the fastest but neither will your opponent.
    If your trying set a number then you will need to go on a private rental or make the runs when the track first opens for the day/evening, we happen to get some guy's at the track that they will prep for them every pass, I will try and get in behind them if possible.
    TC

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm thinking that the car will hook up more predictably with a 17, even in a DR. I think sidewall behavior is the key, not the footprint width.

IMHO, if you are gonna do a set of 17s then get a pair of true drag slicks, I mean, you are clearly doing enough runs to justify buying a set, and as you say, you don't mind changing out to dedicated track tires when you arrive at the track.

This is assuming you have already upgraded the driveshaft, that is.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    17's work in the back??

6. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You need to LOOK at the tire profiles before buying wheels, I found the 18" ET street R's had the best for what I was looking for in a drag radial.....

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Track conditions favor neither driver the best setup will change, along with driver input.

8. moparbrad

moparbrad Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The guys over at weld racing were very helpful when I called and gave them the skinny on a build I was doing and they were able to tell me what I needed and could fit under a 14 chally

9. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I dont quite follow Topcat, in the video yours appear to stick WAAYYY outside the fenders. Do you mean actual footprint at pressure on car or something with the compounds? Or you mean choose a tire based on rim or???

10. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nitto 555rs took me into the 10s.

11. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are the NT05R's not more aggressive than the 555r's??????? My strips up here must be crap!

12. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had Linda and Kate at the track this evening working on the pro tree, Linda had her best 60' in the Charger 1.54 which still uses the stock 2.62 gears, we ended up leaving early as the on slot of street cars and trucks showed up killing the track prep, but the 60' was great to see.
    TC

• Like Like x 1
  13. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In terms of traction, I'm not getting much of it on the street. Not trying to be unsafe or dangerous but even on an entrance ramp to the highway. I'm doing a high 4 0-60 any more throttle and I'm spinning the rears in street mode with full traction control. Wondering if I'm over inflated on the summer tires and that's causing it. Currently they are at 41 according to the email the car sent me. Any suggestions? Thx guys.

14. paul suloff

paul suloff Silver Member

You'll need some wheel flares for a 12" wheel. See the truck section at Summit.
    12208638_1046878438665483_8274684569834209761_n.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ive seen a friend just floor his HC with MT's while i had to feather it with Nitto 555r's 305s

so i think MT's are part of the trick

cool temps 40-50 degrees.....(i wont even bother going to the track unless its in this temp range next year)

StellasHC believes strongly in letting your car cool down between runs...his sits for 1 hour(or so) w/ the hood open and he can get a 10.62 w/ slicks(i think)

i run my Nitto's at 18lbs...ive been told to raise it to 22lbs...thats what ill try next year...

i think you need different tires---i am switching to MT's next time i need tires