Traction vs Drag(air and friction), the trade off

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Driver72, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm a bit torn.
    Part of me wants to go with 315/35/20 (equals overall diameter of stock tires in height, just 1 1/2 inches wider) rear tires for the added benefit of traction when launching and jumping on the throttle during lower speed rolling runs.
    But then theres the trade off of the added drag from not only the wind, but the additional friction on the road for any rolling runs I might do while on, ahem, a closed course that will go well into triple digit speeds. The stock 275/40/20 will clearly be better as speeds increase for the less drag they induce. However clearly the 315's (or even 305's) will be better for low speed traction and traction during launches.
    This is where the ideal mix would be 295/40/20's, but as I posted a few weeks ago, few good tires are made in this size. Our stock Pirelli P Zero's are, but they are $510 each!!

Thoughts?

2. seandtc

seandtc Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't look into it to much. The added traction you have from a 315 drag radial is a way bigger benefit then any loss you may see at high speed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mike Canadian

Mike Canadian Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have to agree. If you have drove the car at that high a speed and felt it you may back off before that makes a difference. You want to accelerate not obliterate!;)

4. TxTorrnado

TxTorrnado Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm still looking, but I haven't seen anyone run the nitro 275/40 drag radials. I'm sure there have been some , but everyone seems to go with the 305/35 extreme drag radials. Prob be best to get a driveshaft and go that way but I was kind of thinking that the 275/40 might help from breaking a part.

5. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not looking at using drag radials either. I'd rather use a set of good street tires in 315 (or 305 if I have too). Since 98% of the miles I drive the car won't be done 1/4 mile at a time, the cons to the drag radials don't outweigh the extra .2-.3 of a second it will give me at the strip or in an impromptu stop light run against another car. And further, if I'm doing a quick little impromptu stop light run against another car where I need that .2-.3 of a second to win, that would mean they have a really fast car too, I'd probably pass on that impromptu street run, and offer up a meeting at the drag strip. If said person shows up with drag radials on their car, and wins by .2-.3 seconds because they got a better hole shot but never pulled on me after that, both he and I will already know that if he had street tires on, the race would probably of been dead even. And you'll see by the trap speed which car was pulling on the other when you take the launch out of the equation.

I may put in the aluminum drive shaft anyway too. The $1k price including installation, may be worth the piece of mind, and save a tow truck trip and a dealership trip and all the hassles it would cause if my DS broke while at the strip, even with street tires on.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, you are probably right, a bit more traction in a powerful RWD car is probably the better trade off vs. losing a touch of acceleration due to the added drag.

6. TxTorrnado

TxTorrnado Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It would be interesting to see what a larger set of Pilot Super Sports would do on a Hellcat. I replaced the Goodyear A2 on my '12 Srt8 and was a huge difference.

7. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not looking at improving the handling of this car with a set of tires either.
    This car is not primarily for a road course, it's for straight line.
    I know Pilot SS are very sticky and are best known for the improvement in handling they bring to cars.
    But it would be interesting to test accelerative grip with various tires.
    I've always been pleasantly surprised how often lower end tires have allowed many cars to have 0-60 or 1/4 mile times equal to that of higher end tires. I've read many tests where car mags switch out the stock tires for stickier ones and when they retest the cars, their acceleration numbers do very little to no better. But their handling, braking and skidpad numbers improve.
    Sometimes I think many of these performance tires are made to improve handling but not accelerative grip.
    I've also seen tests where all season tires have acceleration times equal to summer tires on the same car.
    Granted sometimes the grippier tires improve acceleration too with better 0-60 times, but that's not always the case.

it would be great if a car mag was to take a medium to higher powered RWD car (say an M3) and test the top 8-10 various performance and all season tires and see what the acceleration times of each tire does on the car.
    I'll bet we'd all be pretty surprised that a tire that costs $500 each may not do all that much better than a $250 tire of the same size, even if it's a slightly lower category tire.