Trading in for New

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by IndyHellcat, May 11, 2016.

1. IndyHellcat

IndyHellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What has the experience been with trading in your '15 cat for a '16? I have the opportunity to order a '16 ( i found the '15 out of state) and to my specs. i have a '15 A8 in pitch black with about 5500 miles on it. Have you had better success selling it privately vs trade in? Indiana allows you to pay the tax on the trade in difference rather than the full value. Have a loan so would need to get that paid off and then save the extra cash towards down payment. I would consider buying a used car but wary of how previous owner may have treated them.

I would be ordering a M6 this time around, LOVE the A8 but find myself wanting to row through the gears since I don't ever track it or any of that stuff. Thoughts?

2. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Seems like a few forum members have done the trade-in at the Dealer. They got a pretty good deal at the time. This was also when Dealers were excited to get their hands on a used one and not affect their days on inventory and mess with their new reorders.

3. FINALLYSATISFIED

FINALLYSATISFIED Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2016s are more expensive. You may be able to break even as far as trade in, obviously depending on how much you put down but in reality you'll lose $ since you won't be able to recoup that.

A lot of it will come down to mileage and condition of your 2015. Certain dealerships still don't have any on their lot and if they do its a M6. Just all depends.

4. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    To me were half way thru 2016... the 2017 will be out in 4 months... not a lot of changes between 15 and 16... if it was me i'd wait. But that is just me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. IndyHellcat

IndyHellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I'm with you there but I haven't seen anything that shows the '17 to be any different than the '15 and '16 other than some paint color options. I'm not an exotic color guy so if I can get my hands on a color combo I like I won't hesitate!

6. Jettster

Jettster Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you are going to do it I would do it soon...I just bought a 900 mile '15 from a dealer for $63k with $25k trade on my '10 SRT8.
    I wanted and got an A8-there are way more used M6 out there...your value is dropping quickly and many new '16's are transacting at or below MSRP.
    No real difference in car unless your '15 is missing something you feel you have to have...also trade in will save you thousands in tax in most states-money I honestly don't think you can recoup in the current market with a private sale.

7. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You will always make more money on your own. The number games at a dealer is most times never in your favor. M6 '16 is what I have. Back up camera new for 16 and other small differences. It doesn't however Justfy the price increase from '15

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. cmharcou

cmharcou Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Indyhellcat, I maybe interested in your 15. tell me more about it please? Chris troop6776@tds.net

9. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its an easy formula. Calculate the savings on the sales tax if you were to trade it in, then add that amount to what you would have to sell it for privately. And thats only if you were to sell it privately for the same trade-in amount. That will only make the two deals even. To make it worth your time you need to sell it privately for at least a grand or more than that number.
    Realistically you would have to sell it for about $3-4k more than the trade amount to make it worth the hassle of selling it yourself.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  10. Jettster

Jettster Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed slowpoke-and my '15 has a backup camera-don't they all?

11. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep, backup cam in them all.

12. currybob

currybob Bob

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think the demand is for the A8s, so that would be to your advantage. Also the tax difference selling yourself verse trade-in is hard to make up selling yourself, as long as dealer is putting market value on your trade. I'm betting you will not be better off sell yourself unless you have someone lines up to pay close to retail value. There is almost a $5,000 price hike for the 16s but you are dropping the A8 which is right at $3,000 for 16. Also the warranty mileage is less for 16 on. You sure you want to do this??

Good Luck