TRAINED SRT TECHNICIANS???

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by VAL, Feb 2, 2016.

1. VAL

VAL Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So my car came with 4 free oil changes and at around $100.00 each, I would like to take advantage, and use them. Called my local SRT dealer today to inquire about their certification and knowledge as it relates to oil changes on Hellcats. My very first question; how many oil plugs are there that have to be removed to change the oil? Immediate answer, let me check with our certified mechanic and I will call you back. I thought that was fair, no big deal. When he calls me back, the final answer was one, the only plug is the oil pan plug. Now it is a little awkward because I have to tell him they are wrong. He says again, let me check with lead mechanic and I will call you back. When he calls me back he very politely tells me that is how they have been doing it and if I want, I can bring my car in, go in the back with the mechanic and tell him how I think it should be done. I then informed him about the oil cooler and he again stated I could show their mechanic when I brought my car in. Anyone else run in to this kind of problem?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. shooter45

shooter45 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's my pet peeve when I'm buying something or going in to get a service ..If I know your job better than you something is wrong..I mean what ever happened to knowing your job that you are getting paid to do..I must be old fashion

3. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Forman & SRT certified tech at my dealer is also a close friend. We had the car up on the rack at my garage to change out the brake pads and he pointed out the oil cooler drain and mentioned he would find out about it. He hadn't changed the oil on an HC yet.

He went to a factory SRT school about 18 months ago to learn about working on the HC. He said they never mentioned the oil cooler drain at the school.

• Like Like x 1
  4. VAL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is interesting. I do not want to be overly critical, but not covering the most basic functions may be something they want to consider.

5. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree. I was pointing out that the failure was at the factory school level and not the dealer. But a good tech should notice the oil cooler drain and found out about it as did my friend did.

6. Driller

Driller Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Asked the same question on my first oil change. Service writer came right back with the correct answer.My dealer is a big Viper dealer also and all Hellcats go only to Viper service writers and techs.

7. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, when u take your car to the dodge dealership, remember most Srt techs are viper certified!! Hellcats are still new and not all are up to date even though they say so.. I have a thread on this I wrote a few months back!! Be nice they want to take car of your car, and take the invitation to go back if u want!
    Long story short, ask the tech to plug your vin in the computer and a short video will start to play that shows them exactly how to change your oil with both drain locations, torque specs, every detail!!! They will need a 2 post lift at minimum.. I had to go to parts to get the pup 0-40w and the mo-041 filter..
    It was a nightmare getting through my first oil change, but ended on a good note.. Hope this helps!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. GBTXHellcat

GBTXHellcat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had exactly the same prob. Stood under the car with the SRT tech after I asked him to ahow me the second plug he said there was only one. After I said there is a second one and the forward undertray says "Remove for Service" he removed the undertray and there it was. Definitely worth a few questions when you drop your Cat off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I also asked the question at my local dealership when I went for first of the free oil changes.
    I got the wrong answer! A quick laugh and a little discussion and we were set. Added note about draining oil cooler to service request paperwork to make sure the technican did the right thing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. VAL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is an excellent tip about entering the VIN. That is exactly what I was asking myself, what, now am I going to have to supply the oil and filter for this "free" oil change? I guess the answer is yes. Get it straight in the beginning, build a relationship and from there it should go smooth. Thank you for your input.

11. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No, they don't keep our pup oil and the mo-041 filter on the floor.. So, I had to grab it from parts at no extra charge.. They will use the 899 filter if u do not request the 041.. Sorry, didn't explain myself before!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. VAL

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    okay, thank you for clarifying. you mean you got it from their parts department? I know what oil to use, I have seen the Pennzoil commercials :) but not sure of the filter. I guess I can look it up. Thanks again, val.

• Like Like x 1
  13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my first oil change wasnt done by a SRT tech...it was done by an ex-forum member who worked at a dodge dealer.....i think it cost me like $250

you dont need a SRT tech to do an oil change....i know my 392 never got a SRT tech...it always got the normal oil change 'boy'....ALWAYS check your dipstick before you leave....my 392 had too much oil 50% of the time.....typically 1/2 a quart

i do my oil changes myself now..its a PITA, but costs 1/4 as much

• Like Like x 1
  14. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Specially trained or not, they should have access to at least the same service manual I have and be able to read it. The oil cooler drain plug is described in the change procedure.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    many SRT cert techs have not been under a HC, so to not be sure is OK by me, they have all the info they need to get the answer to perform whatever work required. My local dealer mech, has his laptap and can pull up whatever he needs at his station. He also was not aware of the cooler drain when i took the car in, 10 mins on the hoist and a search on his laptop he had the info from Dodge. Same thing when he had to troubleshoot CEL codes due to a wiring connection in the trunk, and the same thing when he had to re/re my radiator.
    He is and always was the only person I will allow to work on my vehicles.
    For me, I will give them a chance, before I criticize them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1