Tranny Question 2016 HC

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by IMCHRGD, Feb 6, 2016.

1. IMCHRGD

IMCHRGD Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello All,

Just breaking in my new 2016 HC and have a quick question. Only have 600 miles on my car but have noticed that when I slow to a stop, the Tranny seems kind of clunk back down to first gear. Is this normal in this car as my previous SRT8 Charger 2006 5 speed never did this. Just wanted to know if this is what the 8 speed auto does in this car. Again, I only notice this when coming to a full stop, you can feel it an hear it slightly. Also when I put it into Drive, it seems to have a very from Park, tranny makes a jolt into the drive mode.

If this is normal, great, not really interested in taking it in for service if I don't need to. Thoughts.

IMCHRGD in AZ
    PC Challenger HC HC 2016.jpg

2. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd say could go either way. The trans is adaptive just like the 5-spds etc, it could still be learning, especially if you babied it and are not getting more on it, not sure how long it takes for it to smooth outh to your driving. Or it could be something to get checked. If it keeps doing it, it can't hurt to take it it. If its just learning, then give it a little bit more and see if it smooths out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. IMCHRGD

IMCHRGD Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Aaron, that does make sense and Yes I have been braking it in slowly per the manual. I will give it more time as I hope it's just learning LOL :) Just curious what others are experiencing? Thanks for the feedback :)

4. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think others have also had a similar thing, also in part to the 8-spd and how the torque converter locks in this compared to regular autos etc. If you've been getting on it more, i'd say "hope" its just still learning and adjusting, but if it continues can't hurt to take it in for a check up.

5. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine has done this as well. I feel its nothing to worry about. 1st gear is pretty short on these A8s so you will notice the downshift more.

6. hellzya

hellzya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've noticed the same thing but only in the track Trans setting. Does yours do this regardless of Trans setting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. IMCHRGD

IMCHRGD Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi, I have only used the default street setting mostly as I only have 600 miles and breaking it in slowly. I will play with the other 2 settings sport/track to see if I notice that. Perhaps it as BIGHIT has said above with the short first gear. I have never had an 8 speed before so I wasn't sure what the feel is like as the tranny down shifts. All the other downshifts are clean, it's only when you come to a full stop do I feel and hear it going hard into first gear.

Gotta Love this Forum so we all can compare notes on things we all notice on our cars. Thanks Guys and would love to hear from others.

8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    it should make a clunk noise.....mine downshifts hard and also wants to jump when you put it in drive...(707hp has something to do w/ that i suspect)......if mine made a clunk noise, like a metal hitting metal noise i would take it in

9. IMCHRGD

IMCHRGD Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Huggy, your reply says it "should" make a clunk noise, did you mean it shouldn't ? Glad to know the jump when put in drive is pronounced. Don't hear metal on metal clunk, just a hard downshift back into 1st when coming to a stop. Is that what you are experiencing?

10. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine did also until around 800-1000 miles... Just breaking in I think!!

11. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Although the most politically correct thing to do these days is to adopt some sort of "don't ask - don't tell" approach, I wish to go on record and categorically state that I still have all of my original junk and plan to keep it that way! No trannies here! :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. GBTXHellcat

GBTXHellcat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine was terrible for the first 50 miles, when I first got it nearly drove it back to the dealership . After the first 50 it smoothed out really well . I actually get no clunk on the downshift to 1st unless I have been heavy footed in which case it goes into 1st with a thunk.

13. 392

392 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    mine too, is strong going into drive....don't think it's anything wrong.....tranny even downshifts coasting downhill..it's so responsive.......

14. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on the car. Just wanted to share my input. I have an 2015 A8 late build, picked it up in September. I did not do any trans flash and I have it in for the first oil change. Just a AMP flash. I have about 3,400 miles on her. No clunking to speak of, nothing that I notice. Like I said I have not had a transmission "flash" done. Even in race mode under hard acceleration, my car does not throw me back abruptly when it shifts as others have eluded to. It shifts hard and fast but nothing as violent as some members claim, and like for lack of a better word. I would have the tech look at it or take him for a burst and get his opinion on it. Just for your piece of mind. The best would be to drive in another A8 and compare notes. Good luck.