Tranny

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by gilgamesh, Nov 2, 2015.

1. gilgamesh

gilgamesh Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hey,

First let me add a disclaimer, I am NOT trying to get any bashing started, nor am I insinuating ANYTHING at all regarding any of the performance mods available for our cars. Also, I have not heard anything regarding this topic, so there is no conspiracy theory!

My question is this...I have seen multiple breaking DS and HS on their cars, particuarly with running meats, but I have yet to hear of a blown motor or tranny resulting from pushing the limits of performance.

Have there been any situations that arose yet?

I ask because I have long been concerned with the Auto Tranny in particular and now that we have some people running 775+rwhp on DD cars, I am curious how things are holding up.

2. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh.... this is a thread about TRANSMISSIONS... my mistake. I have nothing to add....:p

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. White Trash

White Trash BMF Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member HCC National Vice Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It seems the A8 Transmission is a Beast !
    I havent seen anyone on the forum smoke one yet.

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The A8 in the Hellcat is an updated version that has been on the market for a while, it has been beefed up on both shafts, clutch packs, and valve bod just mention a few parts to handle more than the 750 it is rated for, it is a beast or as I say a game changer.
    TC

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TF-ENT

TF-ENT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I am sure this is an isolated issue but my A8 stuck in 7th gear with 250 miles on the car. Overheated the tranny and I was able to finally get it back into "D" after cycling the key several times. Still in the shop a week later getting a new valve body. They say I "should" get it back today. We'll see...

6. gilgamesh

gilgamesh Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to hear that for sure, but, that was a stock issue correct? Not the result of excessive hammering?

7. nocarbutmopar

nocarbutmopar Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    is thread about Caitlyn Jenner?

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake Back to (1) Club?

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's funny

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh God... I sure hope not! :eek: That would be in the broken drive shaft thread!

10. Halfshaft

Halfshaft Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was at the Ohio Mopar Nationals, our car corral was right next to 3 Hellcat Challengers and two Vipers giving pay for rides taking off at portable Xmas tree, lines were packed for 3 straight days, cars made flat out runs for approx 150 feet then slammed on breaks to make curve, then cress crossed each other on way back, runs were 10 to 15 minutes apart. Hellcat were automatics at lease 140 drag runs at flat take offs, not one issue with the M8 definitely made a believer out me. M8 are indestructible.

11. TF-ENT

TF-ENT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Totally babying the car on the freeway, again 250 miles of freeway travel. Drove it 1200 miles that night. From Nebraska to Las Vegas. I was varying the throttle between 1/4-3/8 to vary the RPM's during break in and noticed a bang from 8th to 7th gear. then it fell flat on its face. No throttle, nothing and the check engine light came on. I noticed the dash displayed M7 and it just held the gear. After about 5 miles I pulled over and noticed the car held 7th gear even at a complete stop. I had to drive 100 feet to a safe area in 7th gear. Then I smelled tranny fluid and turned off the car. After an inspection I didn't see any fluid leak and cycled the key. Once I cycled it a few times it went back into "D" drive and functioned normally until the next morning and it was dropped off at the dealership. They determined the valve body was to blame and SRT sent a new one expedited freight. My concern was low voltage (12.9), high tranny temp, throttle body error, and excessively hard downshift from 8th to 7th gear. Viper Tech stated that this could have all been caused by the faulty valve body.

I picked her up today and all is well except in my opinion the 8th to 7th downshift is still hard. It feels like a bad tranny mount and like the driveshaft is hitting the undercarriage. Just my opinion, but now I will be driving it like it was stolen. Time will tell and Chrysler stepped up and put a warranty on it well beyond 100K miles.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gilgamesh

gilgamesh Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Amazing, thanks for sharing.