Tried Launch Control....

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by RockSmasher, May 5, 2015.

1. RockSmasher

RockSmasher Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah....make sure TC is full on, cause you will be John Force if not. Didn't intend on striping for 300 feet, but had a buddy in the car and when the tires lit, he started howling so I said fark it and boiled them. These cars have power boy....kept the tires lit through 4th gear. In Sport mode for TC, that is not enough to use launch I've found, must be fully on. DRs should be here next week, will try again.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    But I like Force. Were your clothes all black with soot too?

3. Dragon

Dragon Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I tried launch control with my M6 and killed it. I still don't understand it in a manual......I am launch control.

4. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't get why you would need it with a a8?
    Just ease into it and don't floor it

I come from a few high hp cars so it's an easy concept for me, but I keep seeing people having issues launching. You don't just floor any car over 400hp you ease the peddle down. If you think the hc is a hard launch you need to try my 13gt500. With f1 s it's impossible to launch in under 80 degrees. I've always found the hc w a8 easy to launch. Even w p0s. I've barely spun my tires in the hc. Certainly not through 4th. Stop flooring it like its a 200hp civic

Practice 0-60s and you will figure it out

Try to do it wo any spin as your goal

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. RockSmasher

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm completely aware that I don't NEED launch control, much like I don't need a 707hp car, but I have it and I used it. I've had plenty of experience driving fast cars as well, I was just sharing my experience. One of my workers has a 14 GT500 that I've driven a handful of times. Fun car for sure. Seems a lot (excuse the pun) snakier than these Hellcats. I obviously never hammered on it because it's not mine, but gave her some spirited runs. I seriously doubt that everyone with an A8 hasn't used launch control because they don't need to. It's a feature in the car, and it was fun doing a 300 foot baker.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RockSmasher

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    And I didn't day it was hard to launch, I said I used launch control with TC off.

7. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've got a vid on here somewhere of me trying to figure it out. The shot of my rear view mirror was classic. Just search the forum for launch control.

• Like Like x 2
  8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you used launch control and spun your tires through 4th gear.......so i figured you didnt know how to launch your car......since ive practiced 0-60's some and barely spun my tires

sounds like you just wanted to trash your tires for fun....but for some reason used launch control to do it eh? is the post about LC or trashing tires?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RockSmasher

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like you're reading WAY too far into this dude..... I'm not a pro drag racer like you who practices 0-60 times. I don't give a f_ck. I like playing with this new toy of mine, and couldn't care less what my times are. I care about having fun and enjoying myself, without any preconceptions about how, "Today's the day I nail my best 0-60". All I wanted to say was anyone who hasn't used launch control yet, to leave TC on, unless you want to lay a sweet patch. I'm not interested in "tips" on how to make my tires not spin. If someone doesn't know how to handle a fast car, they should definitely not be in a Hellcat.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. RockSmasher

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Exactly Cerino. This was my original point, that when you use launch control, even though we're not supposed to cause it's an A8 (rolls eyes), that if TC is even in sport mode, you will roast the tires. Not "launch control is dumb, all it does is burn out".

11. EverythingSRT

EverythingSRT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    An
    And what were your times?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Kevin M

Kevin M Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Huggy, Until I get my Drag Radials, can you give some tips on launching my A8 with minimal wheel spin?? Appreciate it!

13. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've gotten it down to 4.0 on my 0-60 timer in the car....just learning how much to give her and not break traction is the key. Seems to be simple seat time and practice

14. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2600 miles never pressed the button. I am interested to know if it works, but I have not read anywhere where it helps yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my 1st attempt in full street mode 0-60 with nitto 555r's in 50 degree weather===4.3 seconds
    2nd attempt now in sport mode w/ street traction = 3.7
    3rd and 4th attempt = 3.6 seconds.......

i never put it in sport traction or track transmission......id assume i can lower it down to 3.2 or lower because i still had some spin

ease the pedal down is my tip......do a 1st run like me thats just a waste, spin your tires some, heat them up....you have 0 chance of a good run on 50 degree weather w/o warmed up tires

just take it easy and ease down the pedal...it may not hit the ground until mid way into 2nd gear.....i still had some spin on all my tries.....i dont have it down yet....didnt use LC (i heard it was worthless on a HC)...i thought LC was only for M6's anyways....its suppose to be an easy way of getting going for someone not good with a clutch off the line......

if your spinning your pushing the car too much......

got my 392 down to 4.30 once w/o ANY spin or chirp...with RSA's (stock tires)
    i could get 4.5 second 0-60's every time.....i want to get my HC down to 3.5 or less consistent times with the occasional 3.2 or lower.....some claim of 2.9 seconds....hard to believe with 305's and rwd.....at this point im not doubting anything yet....i need to wait for some warmer weather and a few more tries....right now im working on launching my GT500 with LC to race StellasHC M6 on the 15th........im told the LC on the gt500 is very good and will be my only chance of a win seeing ive never been to a professional track(and StellaHC is an experienced drag racer, just not with his HC)...my HC is up on the lift for a few weeks while i get used to driving my GT500 again from the long winter...im expecting to lose the race due to my experience (not the cars), but want it to be very close still....