Triumph Wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 315x35x20

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Walrus, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Walrus

Walrus Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Took awhile to decide which way to go. Wanted to use Michelin 315's on the rear but had clearance concerns both inner and outer. I wanted to stay with stock front wheels. The MX4's were a good match but with discussions with Biz, I would need 6mm back spacer and the outer would stick just outside fender. I did not want to modify inner fender well shields or protrude past the fender (upper). Biz said he could meet my needs but we needed to go to the 3 piece wheel. The FX.01 deep dish in matte black is the way I went. Might use the purple anodized lug nuts if they will also work on stock front wheels. Tire Rack shipped the K2 Michelins Pilot Super Sports to Biz today. Wheels should be done in 4 weeks. I will post pixs when done. It certainly is fun making this great car your own.

• Like Like x 3
  2. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    And you picked the right guy, Biz, to work with...you will not be disappointed. Looking forward to the pictures!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KoolKat

KoolKat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wanted to go with Michelin, but they did not make a 275/40/20 for the front tires that. They do make a 315/35/20 for the rear. Another issue is that the load rating for the Michelin Super Sports in a 265/275/285 tire is below what it should be. The Pirellis have a [106Y] load rating. Given the weight of these cars and the power level and speed capability, I am not comfortable using any tire load rating lower than [106] on my Hellcat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tire God 2.0

Tire God 2.0 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The load index means how much weight it can carry per pound of pressure. The requirement is to meet or exceed the vehicle door placard. Which is a 106XL at 32psi. Since XL tires have a pressure ceiling for weight capacity of 42psi, you could run a 99XL at 42psi and still meet load for the vehicle. Please refer to the load inflation tables when changing tire sizes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Walrus

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The stock Pirelli 275x40x20 has 28.7 diameter, load rating 106(xl) . The Michelin Pilot Super Sport 315x35x20 has 28.7 diameter (perfect) and 110(xl) load rating (has larger load capacity). Pirelli has new PZero tire coming to compete with Pilot Super Sports. Just starting to release these tires. Hope they have the new models in 275x40x20 and 315x35x20 coming. Still waiting on Pilot Super Sports fronts in 275x40x20 to get released! I'll post once mounted and run. Just not sure how they will match up handling wise using Pirelli front Michelin rears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. KoolKat

KoolKat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is why I kept the stock dimensions for the front tires and 315/35/20 for the rear because they have the same rolling diameter. I would dearly love to see Pirelli come out with a tire that would match the Pilot Super Sports. I went with Nitto because it was the only company that has the fronts in the same specs as the Pirellis with rear tires that also have the same rolling diameter as the fronts. Also, the load rating was very good. Keep us posted on those Pirellis.

7. USAFPILOT

USAFPILOT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    pics?

8. Walrus

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm waiting on my triumph FX01 rear wheels. About 3 weeks out. Got 4" DSS aluminum drive shaft Friday. Changed pads to RB racing. Lower dust and very lite in color. Braking is better as well. I also changed to the special Castrol brake fluid (expensive but the best). I'm having fun personalizing this car like I did when I kid doing motorcycles and cars. Difference, back then you bought stuff and made it fit and work or just made your own. Today you just think of anything, either it's available, can be ordered or 3D printed. It's a wonderful time to be a car geek (m/c as well).

I'll post Pixs when all done.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Radride

Radride VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What was the final offset on the rear for a 11.5" wide wheel?

R.K.

10. Walrus

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Cannot answer as we're using 10.5" rears.

11. BAADCAT

BAADCAT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    OP Are these the offsets you are using on yours? Want to do a similar setup.

Front: 20x9.5 18.5mm offset
    Rear: 20x10.5 27mm offset
    5 X115

12. Walrus

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry but you will need to contact Biz at Triumph Forged Wheels. We needed to use 3 pc.. wheel in order to fit inside outer fender and not rub inside wheel well liner. Because of the wheel construction the offset would be different than 1 pc. wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rich

rich Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a set of Biz's Triumph wheels with 20x10.5 rears and put on some MT305/35's on rear with no rubbing issues at all. Biz/Triumph knows what will work on a Hellcat. They are the best!

14. Walrus

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Got a call from Biz today letting me know he's a few days behind but will get the wheels shipped by beginning of next week. I did not even expect them this week. Cannot wait to see how much increase in handling and traction result from the new wheels and Michelin Super Sports! Will post Pixs .

• Like Like x 1
  15. Walrus

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Finally done. Tires fit with no issues to the inside. The K2 series I used is slightly wider than the K1 version of the 315x35x20 of the Pilot Super Sport. The outside is real tight. The right side clears fine , the left has a very slight rub at full travel which only required a slight pull along the fender lip. Also got the DSS aluminum drive shaft done with "no" clearance issues. I'll post pixs under Triumph's forum on the hellcat site.