Trouble Passing CA Emissions!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by TACLLEH, Jul 31, 2015.

1. TACLLEH

TACLLEH Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Picked up my Sublime Cat 1st week of June in Arizona - Drove it home to San Diego for 350 miles of the 500 break in and followed the break in procedure as required. After getting home, I made an appointment at the DMV to get it registered, which includes passing a CA Smog Test. I also made an appointment to get my 500 mile service done at a local Dodge dealer with referred SRT Techs. After I had the service done, I drove another 200+ miles before seeing the check engine light pop on. Drove it for a couple more days after, without seeing the check engine again. A few days later, I made another appointment at the dealer to get a Smog Certification - and they did it while I waited. FAILED!… for some reason, I saw that coming! I had to reschedule an appt for the dealer to investigate. When I brought it back in, it threw a code (P1611). Turns out to be an issue with the supercharger bypass valve. So the dealer ordered, overnighted and installed… New Smog Test, another Fail! Then my service rep says the SRT tech needs to pull the supercharger to evaluate further... Then I received an email update saying it's ready for pick up - because I need to drive it for 50 miles for system reset. I'll need to bring it back the beginning of next week for re-testing. UGH!!!
    Will it pass?... We shall see...

2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I thought CA didn't require smog test for 3 years on a new car? What failed?

3. TACLLEH

TACLLEH Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All vehicles coming in from out of state, old or New, require a smog (Cali will get there cash any way they can). If check engine light is on or the system throws a code, by default it fails the test. Not sure if this occurs in other states.

4. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So you moved or bought it out of state. Does it still have the same code?

5. unixadm

unixadm Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You need to drive the car to get the emissions readiness monitors to set and to also complete a certain amount of drive cycles. Those monitors have specific characteristics so you may want to search to see what procedure you need to do in order to get them to set. The CA smog law changed this year and they will now just plug into vehicles that are 2000 and newer and no longer run an actual emissions (dyno/sniffer) test. As long as there are no codes and the defined readiness monitors are set (varies by the age of the vehicle), and it passes a visual inspection (and possibly a gas cap test) then you're good to go. The dealership can easily connect to the OBD2 port to determine if the monitors are set and if there are any codes before attempting a smog check on the vehicle. Since it was a part problem that was causing the problem they should do this at no cost or hassle to you. They should also smog the vehicle for the original fee since it was an emissions issue under warranty. I would push the issue with the service manager if they give you any grief.

If the check engine light illuminates during normal driving, it will never pass smog. So hopefully the root cause is fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TACLLEH

TACLLEH Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The code is from the check engine light.

7. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Do you have the car? If so start it and use the steering wheel buttons on left to #9 Diagnostics and hit OK button.

Also to replace the SC bypass valve the SC must be unbolted, FYI

8. TACLLEH

TACLLEH Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the detailed info unixadam!
    Thankfully, they are not charging me. My current charges still show the fees for the original test. And you're right about the monitors needing to reset. Since I've already done this once before, I will put in extra drive time. I was also briefed on how I should be driving to appropriately reset them. I just hope it works. This time.

9. TACLLEH

TACLLEH Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have to pick it up in the morning. The SC bypass valve was already replaced as well as the SC pulled. I now have to drive it to reset before I can have it tested again.

10. ramair111

ramair111 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am surprised you got a scb valve that fast. They had to file a star report on my car and it took over 2 wks to get mine. B5 is right that sc bolts have to be removed but not sc itself just the top cover. If they removed sc belt first it should not have disturbed the intake gaskets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes that's a readiness check, all 8 digits must be 1's and dealer should know that

• Like Like x 1
  12. unixadm

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You're very welcome. I'm new here but have been working on cars and working in the automotive industry for almost 20 years. So I'm happy to help if possible. If you need me to look up what the drive cycle tests look like, just let me know and I'll see what I can do. Good luck!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Cool a fellow chucker, welcome

14. unixadm

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    :) You're a good guy - very helpful on here from what I've seen during the past week or so of lurking around!

• Like Like x 1
  15. TACLLEH

TACLLEH Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm sorry - yes, it was just the top