Tsb question

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat TSB's' started by 8yourm5, May 7, 2017.

1. 8yourm5

8yourm5 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    any tsb I should have done or looked at before I start modding my car next month?

2. SRT Fan

SRT Fan SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If your Hellcat has an automatic, the TCM update released in June 2016 is definitely a good idea.. There was also a PCM update applied at the same time, according to the invoice from the Dodge Dealer's service department

That TSB gets rid of the problem with the transmission pounding itself into first gear as you slow to stop... Early on, the 2-1 downshift in Sport mode or Track mode was ridiculous in my car. The transmission would unexpectedly shift (very hard) from 2nd gear to 1st gear when slowing to a stop at a light... or when easing into a parking spot. Lurching forward almost exactly as if the frontend just rode up over a concrete curb.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Burner78

Burner78 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I just brought my 2015 Charger 392 in for a couple things to look at yesterday.

One was for a noise while cornering, kind of a groaning/rubbing type of noise. It was loudest at full lock. They told me it was normal and that it was coming from the rear differential. I didn't agree that sort of noise should be normal but it's hard to argue with them sometimes. The tech told me he'd check to see if there were any TSB's and sure enough he found one for that very issue. They replaced my diff fluid and told me to drive it 100-150 miles, then let them know if it doesn't go away. Hopefully that'll take care of it but I'll be going back if it doesn't.

The second issue was for exactly what SRT Fan described. An extremely hard 2 to 1 downshift as you're almost coming to a stop. It almost feels like someone rear-ended me. *yeah, that's normal... sure* They also told me that was normal but didn't find any TSB's or maybe didn't even look. SRT Fan - would you happen to know the exact TSB # for that issue?

4. GiveEmHell

GiveEmHell Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I just had 2 updates done to my 2016 Charger for that issue. I can get the TSB numbers when I get home tonight and post up what they did.

I also had that same "rear ended" feeling. First couple times it happened I almost got out of my car thinking I had been hit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SRT Fan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    TSB# 21-028-16 is the one that applies (PDF copy attached here). The PCM software will probably be updated also, my understanding is that most TCM updates require the PCM to be up-to-date, also. The invoice indicated that both the PCM and TCM were updated.

That TSB fixed the hard downshifting problem for me... and since they did not clear the adaptation memory, the transmission did not need to go thru that "learning" period again. That was nice because you also get some abrupt shifts during the learning period. I fully expected the transmission adaptive learning to get cleared, but that was not the case... it was just as smooth as before and the 2-1 sledgehammer downshifting behavior was gone. :)

Tip: Both my 2016 RAM pickup and the Hellcat had TSBs released to update the TCM software, although the problematic symptoms were completely different. In both cases, the Service Department Advisor seemed to need to hear one of the symptoms in the TSB before accepting the vehicle for the warranty work.

Please notice that there is wording to that effect in the TSB.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  6. SRT Fan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Exactly! I did the very same thing, getting out to see if I somehow drove over a curb when I was parking the car. But the sensation was really more like getting rear-ended, now that you mention it.

The car did feel like it was lurching forward when the sledgehammer downshift happened... randomly. I'm glad Dodge fixed it... but what gripes me is that I called the problem into the SRT support line as a possible safety problem (in the April / May 2016 timeframe)... I think plenty of other people reported the problem as well. They released the TSB in June, I think.. or at least by August as the PDF copy states... but there was no email, phone call, or VHR web site alert notifying me of the TSB. I ended up learning about the TSB here in our forum... wait for it... in November !!! Arrggg! :/

The main thing is that it did get fixed... but it does seem like the TSBs should be communicated a little better. The VHR web site would be the perfect place for that info... They VHR web site has recalls and "campaigns" (issues that are important but not an actual recall)... but there is nothing for regular TSBs.

7. GiveEmHell

GiveEmHell Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    May not be needed anymore, but here is what was done to mine:

[​IMG]

Looks like 18-132-16 and 21-028-16

8. OhioHC

OhioHC Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My car does the same thing. I thought it was because I always drive with the trans in track mode. The car will actually lurch forward going from the 2-1 shift while coasting.