Two Post Asymmetrical Lift Advice

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by JonWrong, Jun 4, 2016.

1. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, so I am building a home right now, breaking ground in one month. I designed a separate bay for working on cars with a/c. It is 23 wide x 31 deep. I have my mind set of a Rotary lift, asymmetrical. I am a big guy, and getting in and out of the car with the posts is going to be hassle otherwise. I am trying to figure out post placement.

I want to be able to lift my hellcat and magnum. I also want to be able to put a full size pickup truck, like a double or quad cab half ton. The length of any truck I would lift is about 229 inches. The hellcat and magnum are 195 inches. I want to leave 3 feet or so behind the truck when lifted asymmetrically, no less than 2 feet. Obviously, I want the the vehicles close to the garage door to maximize workbench and work space in front of the engine. I am thinking 4 feet or so behind a car is plenty as well.

I made some calculations with a 70/30 mix, 70 percect of the car behind the posts and 30 in front. I understand that is the max offset for an asymmetrical lift. Has anyone lifted these cars on an asymmetrical lift or has other knowledge that can help me? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  2. YLWJKT

YLWJKT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I lift mine the pillar is just about even to just past the front door seam.
    I can measure today how far back it's sitting.

3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just took a screen shot of your post for a friend of mine. He is very good with this.

4. speedycat

speedycat VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I can understand getting out of it. My friends garage a a nice 2 post but man getting out once its in position sucks.

5. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Have you considered a in-floor flush mount scissor lift? The Benefits of a Flush Mounted Scissor Lift

6. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks, looking forward to comments.

That is why I do not want a symmetrical lift. Posts always in the way of the door.

They are cool, but they are in the way of a lot of work, like drive shafts, exhaust, transmissions work, etc.

7. YLWJKT

YLWJKT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I measured my Hellcat on the lift today.
    From the rear of the car to the back side of the pillar was 116" - 9 feet 8 inches.
    That's with the front arm as far back as I'm comfortable lifting the car, typically it would be closer to 112".

8. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks! And, I have read that it's wise to lift the car as far forward on an asymmetrical as possible. Can you post a pic of the car on the lift? Just curious to see...

9. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, so, I think I have it. The garage is 31 feet deep, so I think I will have the center of the posts at 14.5 feet from the garage door. This is based on outside ratio limits for lifting cars asymmetrically of 30/70 (front/rear) and 40/60. The challenger is the same length, and your most rearward lift scenario is about 36/64 (front/rear).

So, at 14.5 feet center of post, 200 inch car loaded at 40/60 is 4.5 feet from garage door and 9.8 feet from front wall. At 35/65, it is 3.7 feet from garage door and 10.6 feet from front wall.

Same calculation for 230 inch truck: At 40/60, 2.5 feet from door and 9.3 feet from front wall. At 35/65, 2 feet from garage door and 9.8 feet front front wall. With the truck at 30/70 (which would never happen), it still fits with a little more than a foot to spare.

Edit: The finished garage is actually 31 feet, 4 inches. So, I think I will set the posts right at 14.5 to 15 feet from the garage door.

And here is a pic of the plans in case your were wondering.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  10. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    i'd set the posts for lifting the truck. when i lift quad/crew cab Rams on my snap-on asymetrical lift, the posts are 1/2 way down the front doors.
    also, best ensure the concrete pad is thick and strong enough to support the lift anchors. pretty sure there's a minimum spec for that.

11. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The whole garage is 4 inches thick at 4,000 psi. The rotary lift requires 4 1/4 inches at 3,000 psi, so I opted to pour footers during the same pour at 4 x 4 feet 6 inches thick. Thus, the need to figure this out now.

• Like Like x 1