U Connect and a tune. Is big brother watching?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by paul suloff, Mar 6, 2016.

1. paul suloff

paul suloff Silver Member

I get systems updates on my car Via U Connect. My question is will FCA know you are tuning your car from info collected by U Connect? IE I change out the ECM for a tune, is all this info sent to FCA and available to the dealer even if you swap back to the old computer and correct to current mileage before a service appointment?

2. Tazman

Tazman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That would probably be a question for whomever you buy the hacked PCM from, Like HHP.

I don't think anyone knows exactly what data the Sprint 3G modem in the vehicle, phones home to FCA. Some of it is obviously harmless telemetry like what uConnect apps you use most often and crap like that. However, if I ever find out how to do it... I'll disable the damn thing. I don't want my car hacked.

That said... I'm not sure why you'd expect FCA to honor a warranty, if you are doing horsepower mods before the warranty is up. If you are going to go race the car, you should take the financial responsibility that goes with it. Don't get me wrong, I plan on modding my car too... but only after all the warranty "niggles" are covered and fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hellzya

hellzya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would assume so. With all the electronics these cars have now it is easy to do and why not. It would be a wise investment to prevent and or spot warranty fraud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not to worried about it I don't think it works half the time to begin with.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. paul suloff

paul suloff Silver Member

Don't think I mentioned anything about "expecting" dealer to cover mods that lead to failure. Question is what data is being sent and where is it going.

6. hellzya

hellzya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know maybe someone can chime in with more knowledge on it.

7. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My videos of me and my Hell Cat were e-mailed directly to Ralph Gilles I don't think I could hide anything.:D:cool:

I'm having my car inspected on Tuesday. The man that changed my oil was all about racing. I'll ask him some questions about the U connect.
    Last time in, he wanted to upgrade my radio. I didn't have it done because, we had just started the tuning and I was worried something could get messed up.

Also it seems some dealerships will work with you on the warranty and some won't.

Linda:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Remember what all the car companies did they own the technology and computers in your car you according to them have no right to screw with it

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ArchGE

ArchGE VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    One tuner told me to put a "do not flash" sticker on your PCM after a tune. I guess some dealers will automatically do flash upgrades without first asking if there has been any custom tuning done. Could really mess things up.

• Agree Agree x 1