UAW threatens strike at Fiat Chrysler U.S. operations

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT 392' started by ChargerChallenger, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpg I brought this up last week and hope this does not effect the Canadian plants.

It's been a concern of mine since Fiat bought out the Union shares last year. The Union felt the initial stock offer was too low and negotiated thru for the final Fiat Chrysler sale.

I have voiced my concern for long term FCA financial stability. I have said in previous forums FCA Has a 3-5 year run on being top notch quality product for the dollar. But have to feel too many early warning signs the FCA is in for trouble. For one Macrhionne is pushing hard for the GM merger and GM Is not interested but may force shareholder takeover. The General Manager of the dealer I purchase my cars expressed his support for a GM merger after his last Dealer FCA meeting in Las Vegas. FCA is already preparing the dealer network for a future merger.

And now if you ordered a Hellcat this may just create a longer wait and uncertainty to 2016 production numbers. Doubtful but who knows when you are the outsider or bystander that only goes off second hand info. And the UAW could possibly fast forward financial problems for FCA sooner than later. MAKE SURE U READ THE BELOW STATEMENT "Not clear whether all Fiat Chrysler plants would be involved".

Here's another small piece from Reuters:
    Workers at several plants in Kokomo, Indiana, and at least one in Michigan received notices to be ready to strike but it was not clear whether all Fiat Chrysler plants would be involved.

"Chrysler is not in great financial shape, no matter what the UAW members may think. The company is the weakest of the (Detroit Three) so a long strike would hurt them."

2. ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Strike may be imminent at Chrysler plants
    Are the Hellcat Transmissions built in the U.S.?

After autoworkers decisively rejected a proposed contract offer from Fiat Chrysler of America last week, as many as 40,000 could go on strike at Chrysler plants Thursday morning if an agreement isn't reached by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday.
    On Tuesday, the United Auto Workers posted a notice on its Facebook page saying it would terminate its contract with Chrysler, which has been extended on a short-term basis since it expired on Sept. 14. The union has since followed up with information about strike fund benefits, and local leaders have been given instructions on how to prepare, in an indication that the strike threat is serious.
    The union might not call all its workers off their jobs at once, however. It could also, for example, call a walkout at a large transmission plant in Kokomo, Ind. That would force the company to close a few of its six U.S. assembly plants of its own accord, entitling workers there to collect unemployment benefits rather than eating into the union's strike fund.

3. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The ZF8HP90 in the Hellcats is still manufacturered in Germany.

The other ZF8HP70 non Hellcat model, in other FCA models, is licensed and manufacturered in the USA AFAIK

"Chrysler Group LLC initially received the 8HP 8-speed automatic transmissions from the ZF Getriebe GmbH plant in Saarbrücken, Germany. By 2013, in parallel with Chrysler Group, ZF had set up a new transmission production plant in Indiana, USA, where the 8-speed transmissions are be produced.[6] ZF Friedrichshafen and Chrysler Group have reached a supply and license agreement for ZF's 8HP 8-speed automatic transmission. Chrysler Group is licensed to produce the 8HP at the company’s Kokomo Transmission Plant and the Kokomo Casting plant, production began in 2013."

4. Brampton Builder

Brampton Builder Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Regardless of hellcat trans and eng coming from. If the uaw goes on strike and last longer than a few days we will eventually have to stop production as we need v6 and other parts that are made in USA

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let's Just Hope An Agreement Is Struck Between The Involved Parties,Neither Union Workers Or FCA Will Benefit From A Strike. It Will Take Years To Recover For Little Benefit,I Believe. It Would Be A Mistake On FCA's Part To Let This Happen,Let Cooler Heads Prevail,Fingers Crossed....

6. cfuels25

cfuels25 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I work for jeep local 12 union i assemble the wrangler body, they are doimg everything they can do to avoid a strike they came to a tentative agreement last night right before the 11:59 pm strike call where we were told the bargaining team has made substantial gains in our contract with the fca..we vote again on friday

• Like Like x 2
  7. FarAwayFromHere

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ultimately up to the members to decide,hopefully things are acceptable to all and it is business as usual!
    Otherwise Mexico Plant may be expanding,no one needs that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. cfuels25

cfuels25 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It will probably get voted down again they want to keep the 2 tier wage and make it to where it will take 8 years too top out at 29 a hour which would be less than a dollar raise...we havent received a raise in 10 years

9. FarAwayFromHere

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    10 years.....Wow....No comment!
    May the force Be With you All....

• Like Like x 1