SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Updated Supercharger Now Available

70K views 589 replies 95 participants last post by  Hemiride 
#1 · (Edited)
My SC was replaced in January with new part number SC. After a few hundred miles, screw noise came back. Dealer stated SRT was working on new SC for permanent solution. I was informed I would be notified when new unit was shipping and available.

Just got a call from dealer, new SC is at dealership. Install is scheduled for Wednesday. I will post new part number info when I get my service order paperwork.

#6 ·
Curiosity is peaked.
Standing by.

#7 ·
Interested in the part# as well...keep us posted. Thx

#10 ·
That will be Fantastic! !
Linda :)

#18 ·
I bought mine "used" with 1900 miles. It has the "sound". It is noisy, like all the reported "bad" ones. There have been no mechanical failures due to the bearing sound as of yet. There have been a few random catastrophic failures, but I doubt it is related to this. My car makes full boost and power, but is just loud/noisy at idle. The master tech at my local dealership has a hellcat as well and his sounds identical. It will be interesting to see what Dodge has in store for a fix. Someone on the Facebook group posted that they are getting a "nose kit replacement" instead of a new supercharger, so that would be somewhat good news. TBD.

#16 ·
This should be interesting - sub'd!

#19 ·
Not sure if you guys read up on my little issue with this problem. Here is a link to a thread that some people were following.

**** New Section for Supercharger issues ****

I started having a "loud" bearings issue after 120 miles. I reached out to a list of FCA execs, as well as FCA's public media relations about these issues. I got a call the next day. In short, FCA was sending out a replacement SC, but the tech from FCA cancelled the order immediately, saying that a replacement will not fix the problem. So I emailed the group back and got a call back the next day again. I had the woman from the FCA exec office on the phone and a man named Carey, that had a technical background at FCA. He did inform me that some bearings in the SCs were reaching their audible tolerance, and that's why they would get noisy. He also pointed out that there have been zero failures due to this. I was trying to gather all of this in, as he explained this to me. So your story about them telling you about another SC replacement is consistent with what they told me they would be doing. They would start taking care of the current issues, then start back to the oldest problem cars, and get them back in for another SC replacement. It seems that they, or rather IHI may have a working SC now, maybe. FCA sent one of the first "new", probably refurbed IHI SCs to my dealer. The dealer didn't even know it was coming until the day it showed up. Anyways, they called me up, I dropped off the car and after a couple of days I picked it up. I was glancing at the paperwork and talking to my service advisor. The part number ends with the latest AB part, but the FCA engineer on my case, assured my service advisor and manager, that this is not the same AB SC that was originally ordered for me, as he cancelled that. Of course I get a follow up call from the FCA exec office the next day to ensure everything was completed to my satisfaction. I basically told them time will tell. I lastly emailed back the exec members and thanked them for their time and effort, and for the personal assistance and insight as to the issue of these SCs and that I will follow up after some time. So far over 500 miles on the new SC and all good.

#21 ·
Not sure if you guys read up on my little issue with this problem. Here is a link to a thread that some people were following.

**** New Section for Supercharger issues ****

I started having a "loud" bearings issue after 120 miles. I reached out to a list of FCA execs, as well as FCA's public media relations about these issues. I got a call the next day. In short, FCA was sending out a replacement SC, but the tech from FCA cancelled the order immediately, saying that a replacement will not fix the problem. So I emailed the group back and got a call back the next day again. I had the woman from the FCA exec office on the phone and a man named Carey, that had a technical background at FCA. He did inform me that some bearings in the SCs were reaching their audible tolerance, and that's why they would get noisy. He also pointed out that there have been zero failures due to this. I was trying to gather all of this in, as he explained this to me. So your story about them telling you about another SC replacement is consistent with what they told me they would be doing. They would start taking care of the current issues, then start back to the oldest problem cars, and get them back in for another SC replacement. It seems that they, or rather IHI may have a working SC now, maybe. FCA sent one of the first "new", probably refurbed IHI SCs to my dealer. The dealer didn't even know it was coming until the day it showed up. Anyways, they called me up, I dropped off the car and after a couple of days I picked it up. I was glancing at the paperwork and talking to my service advisor. The part number ends with the latest AB part, but the FCA engineer on my case, assured my service advisor and manager, that this is not the same AB SC that was originally ordered for me, as he cancelled that. Of course I get a follow up call from the FCA exec office the next day to ensure everything was completed to my satisfaction. I basically told them time will tell. I lastly emailed back the exec members and thanked them for their time and effort, and for the personal assistance and insight as to the issue of these SCs and that I will follow up after some time. So far over 500 miles on the new SC and all good.
Thanks for the info. Initially, the dealership was going to replace the replacement SC with the same part number. A new PN SC was at the dealership and was going to be installed in my vehicle (again). SRT got (more) involved an that's when I was informed of the pending updated SC. I agreed a 2nd replacement with the same design as the 1st replacement didn't make sense. I was informed I would get an updated SC when they were available. The new design was already in process at the time.

I will check the part number of th updated SC when installed. Similar to your experience, I think the updated SC showed up at the dealership unexpectedly.

#22 ·
Good to hear. I hope they can turn these over quickly. I would like to see how others' replacements fair. Also, I'm not sure how well FCA has coached their support teams in communicating the issue and description of the fix, as I have heard all kinds of mixed stories from people talking to SRT. Who knows.

#23 ·
I'm ok with bearings reaching their audible tolerance if they will never fail. I don't hear the thing with my vented seats on or the radio low, but if I have to, I'll take it in to get fixed.

#24 ·
I would certainly take it to get looked at.

#27 ·
2016 with August 16 build date. SC replacement at 985 miles in early January. Initially, replacement was very quiet. About a month later at 1400 miles dealer determined updated SC would be installed to replace 2nd SC. I have about 1780 miles currently.

#33 ·
The bottom line is a noisy bearing is never a good thing. Of course it won't fail immediately. Typically a bearing doesn't just seize, it gives you a tell. In my case it wasn't a little whine, it was a god awful grind/whine that was very noticeable in the cab with the hood shut and windows up.

It wasn't the kind of noise you just shrugged off and figure you'll let it go and see what happens. When I got to Dodge that day, the tech started the car, opened the hood and said, "we'll get you a rental." There was not conference, there was no get a second opinion. It was wrong, and anyone who heard it knew that immediately.

If/when it happens to someone that hasn't experienced it, you'll know. Almost all the videos I've seen (including mine), are nothing compared to the real life experience of what it sounds like.

I hear all these peeps that say, "just drive it til it blows". Not good advice in my opinion. But hey you want to drive it until it scatters, rock on. At least the SC swap is minor on the whole. Do you really want to swap everything that could be potentially damaged if the bearing does freeze and scatters the top end?

As it has been stated over and over in these threads. A bearing that makes noise is never a good thing...Never!
That's understandable for sure. If it's more than just a whirring sound that I'd think normal I agree it's best to fix it and not let it cause more damage. The videos must not do it justice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.