Upgrade from SRT to SRT Hellcat - Yes, its worth it!!!

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by nycAirSpeed, Oct 26, 2015.

1. nycAirSpeed

nycAirSpeed Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    * If your debating SRT Vs. SRT Hellcat - don't hesitate any longer, save money on the trade, buy the 'Cat 1st!!!
    * I know 392 cars can seriously move, do burn-outs etc., yet if you think the 'Cat's power is useless - ask yourself this question - given a stock 1971 Roadrunner 440 automatic w/3.23 gears ran a 'too much power' muscle car fast 1/4mi @ 14.9 @ 95.4; does your quicker comfortably numb Camry SE-V6 not use its power today? ...& the 392?
    * I was glued to the tach, speed odometer & 'engine' SRT page as I took my Ivory '16 A8 Hellcat on the 250 mi trip home from the dealer limited by the owner's manual 'break-in do not exceeds' & the 7 miles on the odometer... & the fear that the extra 175 ft/lbs & 222 hp would... After the first 100 mi allowed revs to 5,000 rpm, I relaxed my scrutiny... The 'Cat delivered extra power without fuss, or my forethought, to my great joy, delight!!! I hit legal speeds with OMG ease, finesse, & the biggest smile!!! To hell(cat) with radar cruse, & fog lights, I missed my 2015 B5 A8 SRT no more.
    * I traded out the stock rims for 20x10 w/18mm offset Hurst Dazzler Rims w/'road-force balanced' 275/40ZR20-106Y Continental DWS-06 & a realignment.
    * My favorite drive is from Morgantown WV to Blackwater Fall St. Park - Now w/350 mi & able to use the full rev range & paddle shift, it was time to see how the car handled w/out the soon to be installed (Nov. 5th) front & rear strut tower braces; & against my memory of the '15 SRT w/the same tires, similar 20x10 w/18mm offset rims, front & rear strut braces installed... I was cautious @ 1st, the drive is on a 1 lane w/passing sections through the mountains & has 9% grades for 10 or so miles with suggested 15MPH 145 to as much as 180 degree turns & 25MPH snakes on un-level, to real change in elevation roadway, that is mostly 55MPH speed limited road. Oh did I mention wildlife? Good! What ever factory tweaks were done for the Hellcat, solid sway bars & such, they were passionately done. Although I admit a preference for, hell(cat), I'll miss the electronic steering's on center & variable effort/mode steering feel. The somewhat lighter (depending on mode, & I liked 'track') effort hydraulic steering delivers a more 'old school' response. It rewards with a smidgen more info about your wheel angle & grip in trade for a touch of play on center. Wheel miss-alignment is communicated with clarity as the 'Cat had less error, but I was able to nail the problems when I described them to my alignment wizard, I was told of the alignment error on my Apache SRT. Bottom line, the 'Cat turned at least as well as the SRT, for 1. The two punch is the power!!! In any gear, yes, I use manual mode, & yes you'll use the breaks more too, because of the torque, the ponies, you get to speed so much faster & with less drama, but she's a big girl... Gotta learn her rhythm in the twisties... If ya know the SRT 392s you'll 'prolly acclimate to the 'Cat quick, they dance in the same way, but the 'Cat feels like the Apache w/front & rear Mopar strut braces... with claws!!! The 'cat DOES require throttle discipline, respect, throttle over-steer is easy, & absolutely controllable in ONLY that mindset. I'm takin' baby steps w/my 'Cat, she has my total respect.
    * Keeping the 392s in track mode w/A5 & A8 keeps MDS from shuttin' down 1/2 your Hemi, its the way I always fair weather drive, w/half & half enthusiastic, not aggressive, highway/city driving I got 14.8 on the the '15 Apache A8 (just under 5,000 at trade in), 14.5 @ 444mi on the '16 'Cat, & I have yet to Floor it, its got that much Go-Power!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CharlieS

CharlieS Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congratulations on your HC. I sold my Scat Pack a couple of weeks ago after driving a fellow member's Hellcat. After getting back into my 392, I knew that I had to make the move. The 392 just didn't feel fast enough. My order for a HC is in and the wait is on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice write-up, glad you like it. Its handling will not disappoint as you get more time with it. Are you going to do any road racing at a track? There are a few of us are doing that and sharing ideas, search out some threads and join the fun! You sound like you are game for that and prepping your car to do some damage to the competition.

4. nycAirSpeed

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    - yep - the 'Cat's Meow' -
    [​IMG]

5. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Damn, that's just awesome. Congrats, nice mods, and keep the shiny side up.
    Very nice, indeed. I wanted the sunroof for '15, but never happened. Now I see. Great looking car.
    L J

6. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the beautifu Hellcat!
    Love your pictures they are great. Have fun it is one special car.

7. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the Hellcat world. Great write up glad you happy with your Hellcat. Enjoy this ride I don't you will ever beat this dollar for dollar for what you get and that's an amazing Hellcat.

Chuck

8. nycAirSpeed

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks much to you responding Hellcat.org members!!!!

* Its 'fresh & hot' in my mind, I'll take better pics if requested...

* Into the service bay on Nov. 5th, she exited w/some new stuff, & left some 'extra' parts (from her) behind. -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

* By the time I got her back it was Nov. 7th, 6PM, dark this time of yr, so while I wax her & check for exterior damage...

* Work was done @ my servicing Dodge dealer (PM me if in/near Morgantown WV), having had 3 confidence building relatively drama free (yes, there was a productive learning curve) similar installs on my previous Apache (392) Challenger SRTs. SpeedLogix catch-can, Mopar rear strut tower brace & mud-flap installs went smoothly. Unique to my 'Cat, rear emblem deletions & replacements went hitch-free. I opted out of the installation of a bolt mounted SRT Hellcat front grille replacement emblem, as its installation required removal/reinstallation of too much fascia. The SpeedLogix (Razor's Edge) front mounted strut brace also gave us trouble. -

* SpeedLogix via Chris & Razor's Edge gave my installer quick successful support, & I thought after purchasing some strut tower mount dressing for the driver's side, she'll look great, yet... Having put on 3 Mopar front strut systems I was disturbed at the loss of the OEM cross-member. Mopar 392 front strut tower brace bolts onto this cross-member as well as the strut towers. SpeedLogix (Razor's Edge) front strut tower brace replaced the cross member w/tubed 4130 chrome-moly steel w/welded rectangular mounting end-caps; additional welded tubed 4130 chrome-moly steel forms triangular sections that mount to the strut towers. Will this less material be more? Visually, as compared to the Mopar system's larger diameter tubing w/stronger looking strut tower mounts, it doesn't look as it could, & although there is, to my knowledge, no other 'store' purchasable solution... Think good karma !!! -

* Didn't find any exterior damage due to install - Outstanding !!! -

* Overcast, haze, typical for the time of year, the next day was a bit humid, low 50s/upper 40s. Since it was not as advertised weather, as a child in tantrum, lol, not wanting to drive in the rain in a freshly waxed car, I was gonna drive to Tygart Lake now & instead...
    [​IMG]

* The slower, narrower, more congested streets to Tygart Lake do not vary in altitude as much as the roadways to Blackwater Falls, yet they turn as tightly, & due to the narrower streets, projecting front ends of the want to be merging vehicles, livestock, & mailboxes, no shoulder pot-holes & breakages of the roadway w/complementary car eatin' drainage ditchs on the rt, the big girl feels big, yet... My 'Cat seemed more predictable, quicker turning, sure footed & able to put power down better. There is a section of 55mph roadway w/a decent 3/4mi straight-a-way out of a suggested 25mph arch & I floored it for the 1st time!!! Joy!!! & yet it... Gotta get to Blackwater Falls before the cold!!!

* SpeedLogix front strut conclusion after Blackwater falls, but, my less is less assessment could be, wrong, less may very well be more!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 2