SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Upper Radiator hose recall.

45K views 214 replies 66 participants last post by  Bad Kitty 
#1 ·
Every Hellcat owner needs to check the connection of the upper radiator hose where it connects to the radiator immediately! We had our upper radiator hose blow off the car twice and it makes a huge mess. I was told by a Chrysler exec that you should call Chrysler customer service and open a ticket if you don't want to fix it yourself. We have installed a standard screw type clamp instead of the spring clamp on our car. We have 2 cars here so I decided to check the other car and low and behold the upper hose is barely on the radiator and the plastic hose cover has been rubbing on the supercharger pulley! No Bueno Chrysler! Luckily it is an easy fix.

See less See more
#2 ·
Every Hellcat owner needs to check the connection of the upper radiator hose where it connects to the radiator immediately! We had our upper radiator hose blow off the car twice and it makes a huge mess. I was told by a Chrysler exec that you should call Chrysler customer service and open a ticket if you don't want to fix it yourself. We have installed a standard screw type clamp instead of the spring clamp on our car. We have 2 cars here so I decided to check the other car and low and behold the upper hose is barely on the radiator and the plastic hose cover has been rubbing on the supercharger pulley! No Bueno Chrysler! Luckily it is an easy fix.

Useful thanks

#6 ·

Pics must be a Charger this is Challenger.

Auto part Photography Engine Machine Automotive engine part

See no issues on mine. Except more places to secure braids over lines... in your bottom pic the oe clamp is right. Is that after you dealt with it?

#8 ·
All the high tech cooling on the HC and then the rubber band... Since I like my Hellcat, I will be a tough critic.
I would slide the stock clamp back and put the new clamp forward. This way the original clamp will be there 30 years from now and you wont lose points on the auction block:)

#10 ·
I looked at mine. The clamp is perfectly centered on the correct side of the lip. The hose misses the pulleys and belts, all ok. FYI build on Feb18. Not touching it.

#11 ·
When I get mine I'm going to go over it with a fine tooth comb checking everything I don't want any little issues turning into big ones

#17 ·
Is there not a ribbed edge on the waterneck of the rad? if not there should be those factory spring clamps should never come off should not need two clamps to hold it on there WTF?

#23 ·
We did that and it still came off, I guess the spring clamps aren't strong enough.
Interesting in that another op showed a pic with both clamp types from factory.

Dodge must be preemptively fixing the issue itself on the new builds. My Challenger was delivered last week with 2 clamps as shown.

View attachment 7094
Based on your feedback, I'll double up taking out the oe spring clamp entirely.

Thanks again...

#25 ·
Interesting in that another op showed a pic with both clamp types from factory.

Based on your feedback, I'll double up taking out the oe spring clamp entirely.

Thanks again...
No way it came from the factory with two clamps like that. It was done in transit.

You shouldn't need two clamps. If you switch to a worm drive clamp make sure it's on the inside of the retainer ring on the water outlet.

#24 ·
Dodge must be preemptively fixing the issue itself on the new builds. My Challenger was delivered last week with 2 clamps as shown.

View attachment 7094
Dang, that's a hack job. You would think they would remove the spring clamp and replace with the worm clamp. Sheesh! I bet Fenkel did that.

#28 ·
I stopped by my house on a way to an appointment. I looked under the hood. Mine is double bagged as well (one spring one worm). You don't really notice it as it's under the radiator support. Definitely a Fenkel job!

#31 · (Edited)
Re: TWO hose clamps

All Challenger Hellcats built on or before February 20, 2015

Updated 4/11/15 to add:
All Challenger and Charger 6.4L models built on or before February 20, 2015

TSB NUMBER: 07-005-15a
GROUP: Cooling
DATE: March 21, 2015 (updated 4/11/15)
SUBJECT: Intermittent Coolant Weepage From Upper Radiator Hose
OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves installing an additional clamp on the upper radiator hose

-RS

Attachments

#43 ·
Re: TWO hose clamps

All Challenger Hellcats built on or before February 5, 2015

TSB NUMBER: 07-005-15
GROUP: Cooling
DATE: March 21, 2015
SUBJECT: Intermittent Coolant Weepage From Upper Radiator Hose
OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves installing an additional clamp on the upper radiator hose

-RS
I will see if mine was done. Doubt it. Thanks. I will call my dealer.

#32 ·
Once again, RS is the source of the BEST information. Thank you RS!

#35 ·
Do you know it was done at the factory vs. a repair done in transit.

I only ask because I would think if done at the factory they would either put in the proper spring clam or the worm drive clamp but not both.

In transit, to do it correctly they would have to remove the upper hose so just adding the work clamp makes sense (but still looks like a hack job to me).

#37 ·
Good to know. Thanks. Maybe it's just an easy fix on the way out of the plant.

#41 ·
Is the second clamp added during assembly or later before the car leaves. I"m only asking as it seems odd to me that they would just add a second clamp vs. getting the proper clamp (spring or worm) to take care of business.

Thanks for giving us the poop!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.