USAA Buying service vs Dealer no negotiation

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by Harryhomeowner7, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Harryhomeowner7

Harryhomeowner7 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2015 Hellcat Ordered $71k through Dealer

USAA buying service states they can get car this 2015 for $63k

Dealer says no way for 2015. States this year will car a resale premium as it's the first year production

2016 he will honor and allows for a sun roof and .... another 6 months of waiting

Thoughts on paying an $8k premium for a vehicle which may/may not offer a resale premium when I sell in 15-20 years...

Please help me noodle through this. What would you do/which deal would you go with?

2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    What color? no more sublime or phantom black

3. bigDrc

bigDrc Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First, at this point in time, I would not worry about the re-sale value. If I were you (and I was), I would contact the dealers who subscribe to the car buying program (usually USAA will provide you three or four) and ask if they will honor the price offered by USAA. Some will. Some will not. The price listed on the USAA site is merely an example, and is not a firm offer. I bought mine from a dealer who was not a member of the car buying service BUT they sold me the car at MSRP and honored the $1,000 off certificate offered by USAA earlier this year. So go figure.

Unless you are wedded to either phantom black or sublime, I would find a USAA dealer willing to let you get on their 2016 list at MSRP.

4. Harryhomeowner7

Harryhomeowner7 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for the feedback. I currently have a B5 blue on order but, frankly I'm ok with almost any color.

I tend to agree that if there were only 5,000 2015 Hellcats there may be a premium on resale but, with the numbers being discussed on this board and the apparent increase in production perhaps '16 is the way to go.

Would like to hear other opinions.

5. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wouldn't personally wait. I bought mine for a premium in 2014 though..I might be a little biased. Keep hunting for honorable dealers. You'll be able to find one at that price point if you hunt hard enough. You don't need the buyer's service. I'm a USAA guy too but didn't use them for this purchase.

6. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    USAA is the way to go if available to you. Dealers are not very honorable and certainly don't give a damn about service members.

As for the car, it will have significant resale value, at the right point in time.

7. FINALLYSATISFIED

FINALLYSATISFIED Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    USAA for the 2015 Hellcat has premium about $2-3K. I've tried...

8. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With almost 10 months of production under the belt for the 2015, the better choice would be to get the 2016 unless you find a 2015 Hellcat for MSRP or less. I would not pay a premium on a car now that it was officially announced that production will ramp up in 2016. The days of the ADM are numbered.

The Hellcat will depreciate just like any other Challenger. The same occurred for the ZL1 and GT500. Even at MSRP, I'm disgusted with the fact that Dodge dealerships are earning at least $4,300+ per Hellcat, with little to no work involved, and with a majority of Dodge dealers treating customers like garbage.

Heck, for the ones that push an ADM, you would think you could talk directly to the General Manager and avoid the riff raff.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015