usb light

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by HTRon, Apr 25, 2016.

1. HTRon

HTRon Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hello...

So, relatively new hellcat (charger) owner here...actually got it in november, but only had time to put a few hundred miles on it before winter, and michigan weather was so crappy that I've only had it out now for less than 2 weeks! Only up to about 600 miles. Have to test launch control now! I'm thinking 2000 rpm...

Anyway, question about the usb...I noticed that the light on my usb stick is blinking - even when the car is shut off! Why would they provide power to the usb when the car is off...hmmm, maybe for charging devices, I guess...but this is another of those things that should be customizable!

The question is - is there any chance that if the car sits long enough (like a couple weeks of rain, followed by a week vacation, etc. - it could add up!) that this could wear down the battery? I know it's a small draw, but still...just thought I'd ask.

Along the usb line...do I *have* to have playlists to confine the shuffle play on the usb to a certain folder/folders? Sync allows me to play just by folder, but I can't find anything in the manuals about doing that with Uconnect.

Thanks!
    Ron

2. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    USB surround lighting is on as long as the communication bus is active. Once ignition is OFF and all doors are closed, the USB light should extinguish once bus goes to sleep (< 1 minute).

As for the playlist question, i'll let someone else answer that one as i have very limited experience using the RA4 radio features (I don't own one).

3. HTRon

HTRon Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Actually, I wasn't referring to the "surrounding light" (I actually don't think there is one?) but the light on the usb stick itself, usually indicates activity when it's plugged into a pc...it was just a blinking light on the usb stick itself, and it was still blinking when I went out to the car after I had been home a couple of hours...

4. fnkychkn

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Was it blinking before you touched the door handle?

5. HTRon

HTRon Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yep, good thought that I also had this morning. So, when I got home (in my other car) I set up an experiment...opened the console and moved the seat, so I can see the usb from outside the car.

Checked the light after I shut the door. Checked again an hour later. Here is my conclusion:

The usb gets powered up when you lift the door handle, like the dash and/or the shifter lights (A8 here, since it's a charger). It flashes around 10 times, and then it stops. If you lift the door handle again (I was doing passenger side, not driver side) it'll flash again, and then stop. Like it's reading the usb or something, I guess. Pre-loading maybe? And I think if you leave the door open or power on the car, it'll keep flashing, though I didn't verify that for sure.

So there you go...it does not stay powered on indefinitely. FWIW.

6. fnkychkn

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    as soon as you touch the door handle, the bus wakes up and the media hub powers up. if there is a thumb drive in the USB port, it will be active. there should be a lamp surrounding the USB port that will also light up when bus is awake.

7. HTRon

HTRon Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't seen a light surrounding the usb port.

8. fnkychkn

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    maybe they discontinued that feature or they use a different media hub on the L bodies. i just assumed it was the same as all other Chrysler products.

9. HTRon

HTRon Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, confirmed it yesterday, no light.

Is the port in the same place as other products? In the back of the center console? I just thought the placement was odd, because if you use a "regular" usb stick, it precludes you from putting the nice tray back there, because it sticks up too high. Luckily, I know that sandisk has those really short "nubby" usb sticks, and that is short enough that the tray still fits over the top of it.