visibility in a challenger hellcat

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by ColeBartakovic, Dec 16, 2015.

1. ColeBartakovic

ColeBartakovic Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    hey guys im new to this forum and i am wanting to buy a challenger hellcat but i was curious of the visibility around the whole car in the drivers seat. i heard that shoulder checks are hard because it is just a blind spot.

2. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is certainly a blind spot, you have to pay attention to the cars around you when changing lanes. The vehicle sure have the indicators on the side mirrors that light up when someone is beside you so that helps a ton

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also added the setting the beeps if you put on your blinker and someone is in your blind spot. No compliants about visibility.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 2mopars

2mopars Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Visibility? What visibility. Observation from any view, other than frontal is a challenge. Thats where the name for the challanger came from. All b.s. aside, visibility is poor , but who cares. All the electronic nannies help tremendously. Look forward and hold on because the world comes at you head on in this car, at a feverish pace

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yea, the blind spot detection system works wonderfully.. you cant see jack on your own out of the quarters

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would agree visibility to the right is a little tough as these cars have a big C pillar... But the blind spot indicators are awesome. I had a 2009 SRT8 previously that didn't have this feature and it was a struggle to make sure things were clear. I certainly wouldn't worry about that now... the cat has an extra set of eyes for you.;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. digdug33071

digdug33071 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fortunately cars are not in your blind spot for very long. Once you've passed them and see them getting smaller in your rear view mirror, it's safe to change lanes....

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
  8. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    that's exactly how I change lanes, I get on it and switch ensuring that IF there was someone in the blind spot and IF the indicator wasn't working, then I'm sure I'm safe after the little jolt of horses screaming at the world

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. charger440rt

charger440rt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have 2 modern Challengers, a Hellcat with all the features standard including the backup camera and a base hemi RT with basically nothing (except traction control which I turn off every time I start it). I've found that driving the RT makes me a better driver in the Hellcat, just like someone who grew up with very simple muscle cars can handle fish-tailing a lot better as you just get 'wired' to correct it yourself when learning to drive early on. Changing lanes you just have to make sure you check your side-view mirror at a few different angles by moving your head. Thats not an issue for me when you consider I drive muscle cars that do NOT even have the (then) optional) passenger side mirrors, LOL. You do get used to it believe it or not. Heck when you think about it, our grandmas, survived and drove with less stuff that us 'tough performance car guys' now sometimes feel we can't live without.

Anyway, for me there is only one issue that I feel you cannot see in the RT and that is backing up since the rear is so high. So for that I just back up really slowly, (which you should do anyway). On the Hellcat you have the back up camera so it becomes a non-issue.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will be the one who disagrees haha, I have virtually no blind spots in my field of view as I drive. I do still use the blind-spot monitoring system, but as a whole, I don't have any blind spot to speak of. It really also comes down to your mirrors. If you have them set correctly you won't have blind spots. If they are set incorrect then yes, you have a blind spot from the point the car leaves your rearview and shows up next to you.

11. PlumbCrazy

PlumbCrazy Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you set your mirrors to 'just catch' the fenders with the inside edge of the mirror, the blind spot is virtually eliminated. I have been driving my '09 Challenger RT this way forever. The side warning is a nice feature, have it on my '13 Charger RT Max. As for the backup camera I have no faith in it, also on my RT Max.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is what I was referring to, only difference is generally the say for ideal position to learn your head against the window and move the mirror so you just barely see the fender, then lean over and do the same for the right. Ideally you shouldn't see any of your car in your side mirrors. Although I do wish the mirror would tilt down when in reverse.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ColeBartakovic

ColeBartakovic Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay thats good that everything helps you out. Has anyone driven a 2013-14 gt500? Im deciding between the 2 and i was curious of the blind spots on them also?

Thanks

14. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i own both, but my gt500 is a convertible....when i have the top down i have perfect visibility:)

owning both i prefer the HC (unless your looking at a convertible)

dont make your decision based upon a blind spot....drive both and decide....you will find the A8 HC a much more powerful and larger car.....ive given rides to many people in both....most/if not all pick the HC as their favorite...

the mustang you will feel jammed in there w/ the windshield in your face....with the HC you just flop in and relax......i found this past year i barely drove my gt500.....i like the HC too much

• Like Like x 1
  15. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't have any issues at all with visibility in the HC.

On the Gt500 vs HC, I have to agree with huggy. I've driven a '13 GT500 for the past few years and while it is an awesome car, I find that I prefer the HC A8. The HC is certainly more of a grand touring kinda of ride and the A8 is just a complete game changer to me at these horsepower levels.

Good luck with your choice. Honestly, you really can't go wrong either way.