...Vs a 2015 Lexus RC F

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Ty Webb, May 14, 2016.

1. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Note: closed course.

Odd thing happened today. A new Lexus RC F (467 hp and 4000lbs - 12.8 @ 110mph quarter mile) jumped out on the charger from a roll and I barely reeled him in. Then at lower speeds the charger jumped into some odd high gear in what could best be described as limp mode, hardly accelerated at all. Talked with the owner of the RC, nice guy, and he was just as surprised. He has no modifications other than some lightweight wheels, but that was offset bc he was driving with a spare rim in the trunk. No modifications on my hellcat except some 555 tires.

Driving home, the car seemed fine otherwise and the oil was just changed by the dealer yesterday. Temp in the 70s. No engine codes / errors to report.

Any idea what may have happened or anything I should keep an eye on? Just a fluke? I'm at a loss since traction wasn't an issue and it and it's the auto. Forgot to check trans temp but engine temp was normal. :confused:o_O

2. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    just noticed the trap speed - a "normal" srt charger clocks around 115. So even that car should have inched out the win. Hmph.

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What drive mode were you running?

4. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sport and custom (same setup as sport except track trans)

5. saagz87

saagz87 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Were You using paddles to be in correct gear before the hit or just slamming gas and hoping it picked the right gear? Something does not sounds right

6. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Picked the gear the first time so it would sit at a nice rpm and he jumped a good ~2 cars. Once the weather clears up I'll see how it drives again.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  7. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    ...things seems to be doing better now. Cars running healthy. A fluke I guess. Oh well.

8. saagz87

saagz87 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Bad tank of gas could explain some, but even pulling a lot of timing on a hot day should have gapped that car pretty good. Maybe he isn't stock? I don't know if any mods are available for those yet. Lighter NA cars can surprise you from the initial hit. I have raced some LS3 vettes and they can put a fender on before the heavy hellcat makes full boost and goes.

9. digdug33071

digdug33071 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My boss had a 2015 RCF and we went head to head on the road course at Palm Beach Raceway. The RCF was O.K. - a little under powered but ran really well. Of course he promptly traded it for a Porsche 911 turbo S that accelerates like the HC. It'll probably kick my ass next time, but for $175K, it better.

10. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the replies guys. I did fill up right after. So hopefully it's just bad gas. Bad gas can put down the best of us. Lol. ;)