Wait, What? Chevy and GMC Powertrain Warranties Just Got Reduced by 40,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Carnage, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Source caranddriver

Wait, What? Chevy and GMC Powertrain Warranties Just Got Reduced by 40,000 Miles

image.jpg

Back in 2007, General Motors took the bold step of extending its powertrain warranty coverage to five years or 100,000 miles, a bid to compete with similarly long coverage offerings from the competition. This week, the automaker is moving in the other direction, announcing that model-year 2016 Chevy and GMC offerings will come with a five-year powertrain warranty that expires at a mere 60,000 miles. And the company’s stated reasoning is even more of a head-scratcher.

In a memo to dealers sent out this week and obtained by Automotive News, GM claimed that the 100,000-mile warranties hadn’t been as big of a customer draw as the automaker expected.

“Through research, we have determined that when purchasing a new vehicle, included maintenance and warranty rank low on the list of reasons why consumers consider a particular brand over another,” Chevrolet vice president Brian Sweeney and GMC vice president Duncan Aldred said in the memo. “As a result, we have benchmarked our competitors, reviewed our current offerings and have concluded the following modifications to align closely with our customers’ needs and expectations,” the memo explains.

Those are a lot of fancy words, but we can’t help seeing a different reason behind the move. On three separate occasions, three different Car and Driver editors experienced catastrophic engine failure in two 2014 Chevy Malibus and one 2014 Buick Regal GS. GM chalked it up to faulty connecting-rod bearings in two four-cylinder engines—the naturally aspirated 2.5-liter and the turbo 2.0—and admitted to replacing around 30 grenaded customer engines under the 5-year/100,000-mile warranty. Then there’s our long-term Corvette, which chewed its 6.2-liter LT1 to bits with a mere 6000 miles on the clock. That same 5/100 warranty covered the replacement engine, Chevy blamed oil-filter contamination, and so far the new engine is rumbling along just fine.

Along with the reduction in warranty length, GM is tightening the girdle on its two-year free-maintenance offer. Beginning with 2016 model-year Chevy, GMC, and Buick vehicles, the offer will include only two free service visits, down from four. According to the dealer memo, Buick’s powertrain warranty will stay at its current 6-year/70,000-mile duration—adjusted down from the former 5-year/100,000-mile offer back in 2013. The memo makes no mention of any change to Cadillac’s current 5-year/100,000-mile coverage.

For comparison, here’s a breakdown of non-hybrid/non-EV powertrain warranty coverage among major automakers in the U.S. market:

2. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, people want less coverage:rolleyes:

These people believe anything that comes out of there own mouths.

As for the most expensive Dodges coming with the worst warranties, that's another story

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Surely they'll discount the vehicles accordingly and pass those savings to the customer who didn't want a long warranty......riiiiiiiiiight.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hahaha I know huh

5. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's the new injection they have

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    General Motors is shot. They have been going downhill for a long time now. Quality on their cars sucks IMO...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed, it's sad

8. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lol yeah its only one piece issue

9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    noticed my 2015 GMC truck i just bought didnt have the 100,000 mile warranty....not happy, but it didnt change my mind 1 bit on the purchase...i dont think the 100,000 really got them much

they are heavy into direct injection and i hear its a problem due to ethanol.....ive seen photo's of 80,000 mile engines full of crap...they have to dissemble the engine and media blast the parts to get them clean.....i do think this has something to do with the lowering of it......my 2011 traverse was one of the first direct injection engines......now it seems like every gmc has direct injection.....its easy/free HP and better mileage.......but there's a flaw.....its called 10% ethanol

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i own all 3 major brands.....i find GM's the best quality...sorry guys......their work vans suck (i expect to pay $2k a year for repairs, but they are the only full size van left).....Dodge has crap paint and body alignment.....GM paint is flawless, fit and finish=flawless

i was impressed by my 2011 traverse and am equally impressed by my 2015 gmc Sierra....what you get for the $$ with all their discounts is impressive......i had $8k in rebates on the traverse and $10k on the Sierra......it brought the price down way under anything the competition had...

GM's design is finally getting better....the new Impala is beautiful.....the vette is amazing looking......my traverse in 2011 was special at the time........not a fan of the chevy truck look, but think the GMC is one of the best looking trucks out there.....think my new gmc with the All Terrain pkg looks better than the new Ford Aluminum one.....interior looks better too

Dodge doesnt seem to change their trucks.....still basically the same body style for 15 years now.....small changes every few years......

11. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting article. Really, it probably isn't a big driver for the original purchaser. Very few are probably kept that long. It is in the resale value that I would see the impact. Great for the extended warranty market. I bet they have a piece of that. That's where some serious cash is made.;)

• Agree Agree x 1