Warrantee Work at Non Original Dealer

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by rollieman, Oct 20, 2015.

1. rollieman

rollieman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Unfortunately my "near by" Dodge dealer (15 minutes away) was unable to help me purchasing a Hellcat, so wound up with a dealer way too far away to consider any potential warrantee work.

Will my local dealer honor any warrantee work whereas I didn't buy from them ?

Note: they have sold 12 Hellcats to date and numerous SRT cars, so I would think/hope they have qualified mechanics available --------- not sure if they have to be SRT certified to work on these powertrains?

Thank you !

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Some dealers refuse to service cars not bought from them when you live near them or will put you on the bottom of any scheduling priority. After a bad experience with my dealer from purchasing it to servicing it I want to go to my local dealer. Going to go this weekend to find out if they will do regular service after they said no to taking the existing claim open for the warranty body work.

Since the local dealer said no go back to the original dealer you bought it from, I got approval from SRT to get an estimate from a IRF (Indepedent repair facility) and Chrysler/SRT will pay it. But I need to know anytime warranty claims come up are they going to tell me to go to the original dealer?

3. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have never had nor heard of a dealer not servicing a car not bought from their delearship. They get reimbursed from Dodge just the same.

Not sure Dodge would be happy if they refused you service.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They shouldn't do that. Its a Chrysler Warranty not a dealer warranty. You should be able to take it anywhere and have it fixed. Any dealer who refuses warranty work "just because" should be reported to FCA

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is crazy. Dealers make a large percentage of their profit in the service area. They should gladly service your car to get the money from Dodge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    These are the same dealers that all put in millions in total into bribing congress to keep dealers in the law books for car sales. They rather turn away the occasional guy for not buying from them then let customers get their way.

It's a double edged blade, We've had multiple posts here that SRT has said dealers are independent and CAN reject service work. What that means for them in the future might cost them their license, but when you have an issue with your car and the dealer won't service it I'm sure SRT will step up and get it towed a further dealer and towed back at no cost to you.

Same thing with rentals, Check the BMW forums and most dealers do NOT hand out rentals unless you bought the car from them. Unsure of how chrysler dealers act with that situation on rentals, i already know most dealers carry like 2 rentals to begin with so it's first come first serve literally.

7. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I get my cat service done at a dealership that I did not buy the car from. Had a little hiccup in the beginning but after some bs they pulled I filled out bad service review. Witch they did not like. Now I'm treated like I own the place. Jest need to show them some respect in the process. It always helps to be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  8. moparbrad

moparbrad Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    most dealers will work on cars not bought there. however, cubeman, for your instance with bodywork, dealers can turn it away that do not have a body shop on site. most dealers that dont have a body shop have a hard time getting a body shop okayed by chrysler, subletting the whole process and make no money on the ordeal.

9. rollieman

rollieman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It may be wishful and unrealistic thinking; but, hopefully the cat will never require warrantee work. I should be able to perform all the routine maintenance myself and may even be able to resolve some basic problems; however, although I have above average mechanical skills, there are certain disciplines I would never attempt.

Prior to deciding on a Hellcat Challenger I was leaning towards a 2016 Z06 which like the cat is exceptional; but to be honest I kept on struggling with it's styling and much preferred the clean, muscular and classic look of the Challenger. Additionally I noticed a fair amount of quality complaints and warrantee issues popping up on the Z06 forum which didn't seem to be the case with the Challenger which secured my decision.

BUT lately I'm seeing a rash of issues with the cats; some very minor and some disturbing! Hard to say if this trend is a true concern because of the small population reporting, whereas I'm sure there is a very high percentage of Hellcat owner's who have experienced ZERO problems, thus establishing the Hellcat as a "high quality" car?

Having said all that, my point is this : I HATE bringing my car in for service and will avoid it at all cost ------- WHY; not all, but too many of the technician's just don't care about protecting your paint, etc !!!

Premature VENTING !!!

10. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We have ours serviced at a dealership we didn't buy from and they are very nice. It is an hour closer than where we purchased it. They service several Hellcats at this dealership. The mechanic came out after the service and spoke to us about the car.

11. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    your warranty is with Dodge...not the dealer...never heard of a dealer not service anyones car....took my Ford to a Dodge dealer to have new tires put on

will you get special service if you take it to the dealer you bought it from..yes....free car rentals, etc....i try to take mine to the same place and even though i didnt buy it from there im getting a free rental this friday when i get my fuel rail replaced and a coolant smell issue fixed

• Like Like x 1
  12. rollieman

rollieman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would also assume non original dealers may not have the traiming to work on Hellcat drivetrains, etc.
    As we know a good number of dealers did not receive any allocations for 2015 and 2016 and may not be qualified?

13. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That brings up an interesting point. Perhaps Dodge should create a "Certified Hellcat Service" network and only allow service departments trained on the Hellcat to work on them. Seems like a cool thing to do and would give customers a better service experience. Nissan does that with the GT-R.

14. Jim M

Jim M SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Bought my HC about 300 miles away but have been welcomed by a local dealer for service. Did the same with the '08 Chally I had and the local dealer was more than happy to do warranty work on it.

15. SoCcal Dragger

SoCcal Dragger Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My experiences with chrysler warranty work have all been at a dealership that was not where i purchased the vehicle. My '12 Durango has the lifetime max care and was brought in for the various recalls, and the one true warranty repair just occurred at 48k and was covered under the 5/100k powertrain warranty. I got a loaner car as well. I never had a problem with truck until now, not even the multiple recalls. I would rather there be no issues, but i was taken care of, what more can you ask for? As for my Hades Feline, Im at 3140 miles without issue so far. Im thinking i might get the 7/60k max care...