Warranty at a different dealer than where the car was ordered/purchased

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by ManicMechanicMD, Feb 11, 2015.

1. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I had to go to a deal out of town to order my Charger Hellcat and it's still in BG status. There is an SRT dealer here in Wichita, KS but they didn't really want to work with me on price. Do any of you know if other dealers will work on the car under warranty if it's not purchased at their dealership? I'm also wondering if I can purchase an extended warranty from the local one because I'm not driving 2 1/2 hours out of town every time I need maintenance. Any thoughts on this?

Another question I'm running into is the break-in period. I know a lot of mechanics that say with modern machining the break-in period stuff is really a waste. I don't want to void anything and clearly I want the engine to perform at its max for as long as possible. I just don't look forward to driving on the Interstate back to Wichita at 55 MPH for the first 100 miles. Thoughts on this too? I can always trailer it.

Thanks.

2. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    for the later, the engine is broke-in on a dyno when it was built.. however the rest of your drivetrain is still new and tight and needs breakin which is "recommended"

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Warranty is good anywhere, the issue would be how busy they are. My dealer Principal had a rule when we were slammed in service cars that were sold by us came first. Common sense.

Follow the break in if you want less drivetrain issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 440 Superbee

440 Superbee Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm fairly certain the warranties that come with the cars are valid throughout the Nation backed by Chrysler. You do not have to take it to the dealer you bought the car from. I would recommend doing the break in period for the benefit of the remainder of the drive train. Extended warranties can also be purchased through any dealer. I think the condition of when you can buy the extended warranty is based on the mileage.

5. Jim Hetrick

Jim Hetrick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Your warranty is from Dodge not the dealer and is good at any authorized Dodge dealer.Really??

6. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a similar story. Going to get mine at a dealer 350 mi from home.
    First, I take the first 100 mi recommendation seriously. For my first 100 me and another guy are simply going to drive 100 mi in rural Iowa and just enjoy it. Stop a few times to let the rear end cool down, do some lunch, enjoy it! Hell I probably will let him drive some and just play with the computer. Then since I need to drive a few hundred more without getting stupid, I am NOT taking the interstate home. I am heading for the Mississippi River and following it from IA into MN and then to its home in my garage in the Twin Cities. By the time I hit the interstate system in the Cities she will be ready to rock! I basically need to travel from east central Iowa to Minneapolis.

I am going to ask around and find some decent technicians at one of the Minneapolis area Dodge dealers and they can start by changing my oil. Dodge dealers should work on the car regardless of where you purchased it, but I want a good tech not just anyone. We shall see if they can pull that off correctly. Hope for no serious problems while on the first few 100 miles. But keep looking at things, leaks, squeaks, any driveability problems etc.

7. Joschoice

Joschoice Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any local Dodge dealer should be able to service your vehicle. If they tell you otherwise, it's just wrong. We purchased our Hellcat(s) 250 miles from home but have all servicing done locally.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With all the snow in your areas, I didn't think you would be able to drive faster than about 20 or 30 mph.

9. ManicMechanicMD

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Jim, I'm not sure if your response was serious or sarcastic. My question was sincere because I don't have much experience with new vehicle purchase and I don't really trust dealers to necessarily do the right thing. I've been mistreated by dealerships too often to be anything but cautious.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I appreciate it.

10. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also bought a car 1500 miles away, I was told by local dealer he could service the car, but that was it, He would be unable to do engine/tranny warranty work because, where he has not sold a HC, he does not have a properly trained tech to work on it.
    Made sense to me, so I hope I have no issues

11. ManicMechanicMD

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The dealer here sells them but wanted $10,000 over MSRP. I didn't want to do that. They do have the techs and equipment to work on it though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Well then take it there. Do it as soon as you get it to show the moron sales department they missed out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think you folks out east have way more than us this year.

Actually drove my 300SRT from MN to NM last week and through Iowa where one foot of snow fell to sell it. Just need some good tires and a rear wheel drive will do about anything you need it to. BUT, the HC won't touch the road until totally free of salt and its dust. I don't expect to see it for a few more weeks, we should be good to go.

14. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here in southern New Jersey we have no snow. There was a few inches two weeks ago, all gone now. The worst of it is up north in New England. I've had both on my Challengers on the road in the past few days.