SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Warranty Work Denied due to Social Media Posts

25K views 130 replies 68 participants last post by  Trucker Bob 
#1 · (Edited)
If any of you missed the Facebook group post this morning, we are starting to see warranty work being denied due to "abuse." They have no proof of the abuse other than posts made by the owner on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc. Apparently this all starts with the dealer and its normally the area manager who makes the final decision and SRT/FCA cant overturn it without pressure from someone higher up. They don't void your warranty but they won't cover warranty work on the affected part due to a burnout video, picture or a simple post talking about what you did. Future warranty claims will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

A Charger Hellcat owner posted up last week that he did some donuts on drag radials and his rear diff now makes a lot of noise and he found fluid on the ground. He decided to put the stock tires and wheels back on before towing it to the dealer. Dealer looked at it said it would be covered because Hellcats are built to withstand things like this. Half shaft broke off the diff and both need to be replaced. A week goes by and he get a call thinking its time to pickup the car but he is told the warranty work was denied because they found him talking about what he did online. He went to the dealer and the guy read him word for word what he said online. The SRT area manager flagged this on his VIN. He called SRT and they confirmed it would not be covered. He wants to sell his car now but luckily someone stepped up and offered him a stock rear end and free labor if he towed the car to his shop this weekend. He just needs to find a half shaft now.

The other occurrence was an Instagram user but I dont know what warranty work he needed done. Same thing happened, got a call and they found his online account showing burnouts, racing, no lift shifts, and donuts and they denied that warranty work

We have seen all sorts of rear end carnage covered from actual track racing so this is insane. If you need any warranty work done, disable your social media accts or delete anything that might hurt your case

What can we do? Enjoy the car all we want but don't post proof? Do they not want us marketing their product?

Is the Demon warranty going to read the same way?

See less See more
#2 ·
If any of you missed the Facebook group post this morning, we are starting to see warranty work being denied due to "abuse." They have no proof of the abuse other than posts made by the owner on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc. Apparently this all starts with the dealer and its normally the area manager who makes the final decision and SRT/FCA cant overturn it without pressure from someone higher up. They don't void your warranty but they won't cover warranty work on the affected part due to a burnout video, picture or a simple post talking about what you did. Future warranty claims will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

A Charger Hellcat owner posted up last week that he did some donuts on drag radials and his rear diff now makes a lot of noise and he found fluid on the ground. He decided to put the stock tires and wheels back on before towing it to the dealer. Dealer looked at it said it would be covered because Hellcats are built to withstand things like this. A week goes by and he get a call thinking its time to pickup the car but he is told the warranty work was denied because they found him talking about what he did online. He went to the dealer and the guy read him word for word what he said online. The SRT area manager flagged this on his VIN. He called SRT and they confirmed it would not be covered. He wants to sell his car now but luckily someone stepped up and offered his stock rear end and free labor if he towed the car to his shop this weekend. He just needs to find a half shaft now.

The other occurrence was an Instagram user but I dont know what warranty work he needed done. Same thing happened, got a call and they found his online account showing burnouts, racing, no lift shifts, and donuts and they denied that warranty work

What can we do? Stop posting these type of pics/vids?

We have seen all sorts of rear end carnage covered from actual track racing so this is insane. If you need any warranty work done, disable your social media accts or delete anything that might hurt your case
Some of the stuff you gave as examples are definitely what I would consider abuse. Especially if the Guy needed a Diff and a half shaft. Most Guys don't know how a limited slip diff works and the damage that can be caused in such a short time.

I say, post all you want and step up if you Fu%k up. Or, don't abuse your car. Duh!

#85 ·
This^^^^

I tell my kids, just realize, if you break it, you have to pay to fix it...can you afford to?

#17 ·
LOL. I once had an FBI security clearance denied 6 months after I had been doing the job. When they asked me to provide a new packet, I copied the original one word for word and just added the last 6 months on the end. It came back in less than 3 weeks good. Sometimes, I think they are just looking for change.

#7 ·
You have to be on facebook in order to access the group page. I dont know if you have to be a member of the Hellcat group to see posts though. They are trying to figure out who the snitch is now haha.

Maybe someone who isn't in the group but is on facebook can check for us: Log into Facebook | Facebook

He posted everything in the Hellcat/Demon page so anyone who is in there can see it. He posted pictures of the leak, pictures and a description of why he put the stock tires back on. Kinda shot himself in the foot but like I said I have seen destroyed diffs and driveshafts covered from track use. One guy even told him to be careful posting stuff like that as they might see it.

#8 ·
Um yeah-if you are going to post about a bone head move be prepared to foot the bill. In case anyone here just crawled out from under a rock: employers, insurance companies and tons of other entities of oversight and authority-whether we like it or not-are watching and monitoring your social media life-be smart and think about it first before you brag or cry out there. I was in the car this morning and a goofy FM radio show host was streaming Facebook live waking some guy up early in a hotel with one of his goons in just underwear knocking at his door-and 10,000 people were streaming it-wonder if that Bozo will ever work anywhere besides an intern at KRUD radio lol...so tell us about your work at KRUD Mr. Jones-ever do anything that might embarrass our team?

#9 ·
I tried your link and there's a "join the group to see the discussion, post, and comment". It's definitely not wide open. So someone at that dealership much be a part of the group or someone in the group ratted him out, or he's just full of poop.

#11 ·
This is exactly why I never and I mean never abuse my car, speed, race, burnout, do donuts, brake hard, turn my stereo up, use track mode or launch control including any of the "racing features".

Did you get that Dealer and SRT? lol
You forgot to use invisible ink on that last line...

#57 · (Edited)
I am going to race my Demon a LOT, just like I did my Hellcat. I never had any problems with it and I bet my Demon will be the same. There is a difference between USE and ABUSE.

The problem is most Guys that are getting these cars don't respect them and they have 700 horsepower. 700 horsepower can tear shit up in a hurry.

#14 · (Edited)
You want to indulge in show boating on social media and then cry foul? Lol.

First up never abuse your(or other's) cars. Secondly if you still insist on doing it then keep a low profile and don't broadcast it.

Reactions: GOMER and Hayabusa
#19 ·
You want to indulge in show boating on social media and then cry foul? Lol.

First up never abuse your(or others) cars. Secondly if you still insist on doing it then keep a low profile and don't broadcast it.
The problem is every dealer is at liberty to determine how to define abuse. The overwhelming majority of us have done a burnout. Is that abuse on a car like this, especially when its advertised doing the same thing?

The fact of the matter is this guy is being taken advantage of and FCA/SRT is trusting this area manager who appears to be clueless. He told the Charger owner he had installed a "pop-off valve" and said he saw a video of him making the exhaust crackle in second gear and that's what upset him. He found the area manager on his instagram feed as a follower.

#15 ·
What does the dealer get out denying this claim? Is he just too busy and doesn't want to handle it or is getting kickbacks for saving FCA money?

He just updated the post and went to the dealer to speak with the area manager. He asked him what caused this claim to be denied and the manager told him becasue the car is modded. He said what mod caused the half shaft to pop out of the diff and the manager told him it doesnt matter, mods voided the warranty work

BTW this is Spitzer Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Cleveland

#16 ·
Someone in the food chain overreacted in that case. This is where a lawyer can fix this pretty quick. Discovery can really open a can of worms for a dealer.

In the fb posters case he did replace the wheels but I can see how a manager could interpret that as evasion and terminate the warranty. But that is hardly a mod.

There may be more to the story. As they say situation developing.

#18 ·
I never understood the people who do incredibly stupid things with their car on public roads and then post them online. They post "Filmed in Mexico" when the guy lives in Montana like that is fooling anyone.

FCA not approving a warranty could be the least of your problems if you're filming/posting stupid stuff done with your car. There was a guy out in CA with a Lambo that would do crazy sh*t and post it all over YouTube. He had an accident and hurt someone and they are using the stuff he posted on YouTube as evidence against him.

#20 ·
I read through the fb thread. The kid pumped the dealer for info. Dealer told him there is a quote Chrysler investigation team.

LOL.

Im not an Attorney have have been on both sides a lot. A dealer is small potatoes but Chrysler is not. Chrysler is also a big company where the left hand does know what the right one does. Do they really want their flagship car to get junk status?

#21 ·
I agree that abusing your car and posting about it is a dumb ass move. Who here really thinks that doing a burnout or donut is abuse, I don't (maybe over and over and over and over.....is). If a performance car (with track settings) cant hold up to a burnout then maybe it's a POS. I hope everyone knows that the dealer can't deny a warranty item unless they prove the abuse. It may take a court appearance, but.....depending on the $$ it may be worth it.

#25 ·
I "modded" my Hellcat with black lug nuts.:eek: So I guess I had better put the OEM chrome ones back on before taking it in to the dealer for service;). Thanks for the heads up. Don't want to "void" the warranty:rolleyes:.

#29 ·
That's odd. I use to live and Cleveland and actually am very familiar with Spitzer.
I wonder if they found his email address and that's how they gained access to his accounts. Seems like a I'll move to deny warranty work though
The manager that is causing the problem is an SRT area manager so he probably floats around to several dealers. The manager was following this guy on Instagram for some time. I guess he enjoyed the content but was waiting to take a crack at him

I just checked for an update and the Charger owner got the manager on the phone for over 30 minutes and recorded the conversation. Yikes

#28 ·
People need to realize that the rate a dealer can charge a paying customer is MUCH HIGHER than what Fca will pay for the same work.
Also, the tech/mechanics get paid a lower rate and get less book hours for warranty work than pay work.

It's in their pocketbook interest to deny it. It's ****** up but it is what it is. Sounds like this service writer took a chance to make more money and now is stuck so he jumped both feet in to stand his ground.

I really think that a donut or 12 should not break an axle. It will wear a diff a bit if the lock up is loose, but if your at full lock then no damage should be done.

Now should he be posting it? Well yes and no. Be careful what you do, but how many ads do you see with hellcats spinning the tires.

Don't advertise the car as a hooligan car if you will void the warranty for repeating the many many ads.

There is a guy local here with a ford raptor 6.2l... drove it off road when it was raining and got stuck in some water...actually it must have been a hell of a mud pit.
Mud made its way into the engine along with the air filter being sucked in as well.
Ford dealer said "no warranty". He put some money together got a lawyer and 3 months later they are warrantying the engine due to advertised use.
HOWEVER, no one at the dealer wanted to do the work because it was covered head to toe in caked on mud and the R/R of the engine required the reuse of just about everything if possible.
The mechanics there expect a job to take no more than 80% book time on pay jobs and 50% on warranty. They said that on this job everyone would "loose their ass" so it just sat.

I don't know what the status is. My buddy left that dealer last year while it still sat there.

#30 ·
Not going to say I condone burnouts, donuts, etc., but I find it hypocritical for Dodge to deny a warranty claim because of those activities, meanwhile they host "thrill rides" at special events all over the country where those very things are being done.

#31 ·
The owner's manual enourages WOT runs after a 500 mile break-in, but no track use until 1500 miles. It doesn't say anything about voiding the warranty by following the procedure. Makes no sense.

#33 ·
Tbh i dont feel bad. Social media has taken over people's lives. They post when they're taking a dump now. It's ridiculous. I say get a life of your own and if you feel such a need for people to approve of you constantly, then be prepared for people to disapprove as well. Go ahead, post every dumbass thing you do, just be prepared to see the downside too. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions, they all just want everyone's approval and free repairs. Im sure it wouldve been covered if the guy didnt post it all online, just another routine repair. Of course theyre going to use it against you. Keep posting every little thing in your life and eventually its going to bite you in the ass.
Oh that reminds me, i forwarded this post to my Twitter account, cant wait to see how many followers i get for this rant...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.