Water Meth Kit Opinions

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Fionn MacCumhaill, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First, let me say I am merely asking for the thoughts/opinions of my fellow gearheads and Hellcat enthusiasts. Second, let me say I have never ran a water meth kit so this is why I am seeking advice. I understand the principle and why it makes power, just not sure of the downside on our car specifically. Lastly, let me say that yes I know I will need a tune, this will void the warranty, etc. etc. This "may" be one of the many mods I will install on my 'Cat. Other mods that will be used in conjunction would be: 2.65 upper pulley, ARH longtubes headers, 3" catback exhaust, somebody's CAI (haven't decided which one will be permanent yet and it doesn't matter at this point as I am not here to debate the pros or cons of a specific CAI), tune by someone somewhere, various suspension parts, aluminium DS, and 305/45/18 MT ET Rs.

This is the kit I am considering: Stage 2 MAF/MAP Water-Methanol Injection System

Already spoke with the company (they are here in Colorado) and confirmed this kit would work for the Hellcat.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice, shared previous experience, pointers, etc. :D

2. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let us know, I haven't used this since 1978

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Water Methanol kit does not need a tune. It is completely independent, like a NOS shot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    After talking with Snow Perf. they said I will most likely only see 20-30 HP increase with just the kit installed but if I tune it to take advantage of the kit and its benefits (i.e. add some timing etc.) that the kit can net as much as 60-70 HP. Honestly since I was going to add a pulley and other mods I was going to tune it regardless; but if you think even with a tune the kit won't gain any more than without a tune let me know cole3986. Thanks.

5. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fionn,

I think they are the experts in methanol injection so I would not disagree with their claims,

• Like Like x 1
  6. gerlacher

gerlacher Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have more experience running water/meth with diesels... Definitely will want a tune to take more advantage of it. But yes, hooking up a snow kit on the car would not hurt it. I also plan to walk this line next summer among other mods. Forced induction loves the water meth. As most the diesels run a smart controller with 2 nozzles, it really is a great supporting mod with little upkeep. Just refill the tank n done. Curious if snow can special tune these smart controllers with our demands though. Never inquired yet.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MaxxMuscle

MaxxMuscle Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I looked into meth when I had my ZL1.Running meth keeps the temps down and lets u pull more timing for more hp.Downside is if meth does not come on engine could go boom.A lot of guys would run the alky system on there cars.Some would do a 50/50 water meth mixture.My car would was going to do a 100 % meth run since I would be close to 825 crank hp.Here is a quote from a guy that had a highly mod ZL1 :
    Methanol is not really much of a power gaining modification. Yes, you can gain some power but hell if you are looking for power you might as well spray nitrous into the engine. It gives a lot more power (and cooling) than meth. I don't care what the people that sell the meth systems say, if you spray meth on a hot supercharger, the coating comes off the rotors. There are many many mods you can make to a ZL1 that will give you more power without any destructive side effects. If you are already on the limits of intake temps due to overdriving the supercharger the meth does cool the intake charge but the coating does come off the rotors. I have first hand experience with this. Most people that have a PD blower with meth and say it is working just great aren't taking off the supercharger and inspecting it....but if they run the car hard the coating will be gone on the rotors.

If you do use meth you should use it for cooling more than power. If you need cooling, you need to spray in front of the supercharger to cool it. Good luck. I had a meth system on my car and it is not on there anymore

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. gerlacher

gerlacher Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^ good point! Not sure what effects it has on sc rotors,as diesel systems are post turbo. I would be curious to see test results or dissect a blower that had water meth ran through it. On a snow kit at least, the water and meth are premixed say 50/50 so running straight meth or water would be impossible. But I like the input. Something to think about. I know a few mustang engines that were running water meth on old Kenne belle sc that had no intercoolers and held up surprisingly well.

9. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is the first I am hearing of an potential issue with water and/or methanol screwing up the coating on the supercharger. Hmm... what is the special coating on the Hellcat supercharger?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do it do it just don't tune for it it has so many positive factors running it if needed more info contact me thru pm and cole3986 is balls on correct

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. MaxxMuscle

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know if I still had my ZL1,meth would be on it.My turner would not do the build with out it.I asked him about the coating coming off and he had no concerns.I would really like to see what a meth system on a non tuned cat would do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fionn MacCumhaill

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nycsrt if you had to choose one power adder over another, which would you use, water/meth or N2O? I have considered both but at this time I am not sure which is going to end up under my hood. Thanks.

13. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What's your ultimate goal ?? nitrous more power faster and cheaper and water meth basically will clean motor raise octane and fight heat soak tremendous

14. MaxxMuscle

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    On a non tuned car Nycsrt,would meth make the car run rich ?

15. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No the hellcat makes small adjustments to keep afr in check plus wit 50-50
    Mix you be good