Weld 18" wheel fitments

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Bstudey01, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Bstudey01

Bstudey01 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Has anybody run this wheel? Weld RTS S71B in a 18X10 +28, any problems with fitment using the 305/45R18 ET Street R. I really want this for my drag setup but unsure of the offset?? Wondering if anybody has first hand experience with it

2. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    dragrcr might be using this or know about this. I know few guys running 18X10 +28 offset. Just use search (S71B or S71 ) and you should find so many thread on it.

3. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have done a lot of research on this and I have had a lot of different wheels and tires mounted on 15+ Challengers. I can say you will not have any problems with that rim/tire.

First I will tell you that the S71 is the lightest of the RTS styles. Also I will tell you that the Sway bar links will have to be shortened. The Bravado Tribute is 18X10 with a +20 offset and it BARELY clears. I would get the HHP short sway bar links, that is what I have on my car and they are easy to change. Also be sure and slide your Shock control wires inward. Sometimes they can be slid in the original holders and you can add tie wraps etc to keep the wires away from the new rims.

Be sure and do the Wheel Tub Mod I posted on here. It's cake.

My Rims are 18X10.5 +25mm with MT ET Street "R" 305/45R18...

and I have plenty of clearance all around....

DSCN1999.JPG DSCN2005.JPG DSCN2010.JPG DSCN1997.JPG

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bstudey01

Bstudey01 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the info, does the wheel tub mod have to be done to make them fit? Also have you tried the fronts for fitment at all? They make a matching 18x9 with a 28mm offset part # 71HB8090W61A that I thought would help knock some weight off and I could go with a bit skinnier tire than stock to help at the strip as well. HHP has it on their website that it fits. Others have told me they wont clear the front brakes. Any experience with them?

5. IvoryCat

IvoryCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What's your best 60' with the 305/45R18 ? I run consistant 1.7's- 60' with my 305/35R20. I would love to be in the high 1.5s.

6. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think some have installed without the wheel tub mod. But, on my 2015 STR I HAD to do it. I have also read where some have just jumped under there with some scissors and hacked the wheel tub for clearance. That would suck in my opinion. It is so simple and I see nothing to negative about it, so I just did it to be sure.

18" wheels will not fit on the front of a Hellcat unless you are talking about the drag only wheel that HHP sells for these cars. For a matching wheel for your backs look below.......

For the front I would run a 20X8 with +19mm offset and a 1/8" or 3mm billet spacer. Obviously the spacer can be a little thicker, like 5mm. Find some high quality spacers that will work properly on your car. Nothing cheap. The spacers will actually HELP your front track width and tire clearance. I have 20X8.5 Forgelines
    with a +5mm offset on my car. Then buy the 245/45R20 Continental Extreme Contact DW. I did a lot of research and that tire has excellent ratings and is light. I have them on my car. I would drive anywhere on them.

PN for that wheel is : 71HB0080W53A. That setup will easily be 10 pounds less than stock.

FRONT2.JPG DSCN1869.JPG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  7. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 60 foot will be a factor of the DA/Power. My Best 60 foot last weekend at Fomoso was a 1.604 on a 10.906 @ 128.54 run. But at Irwindale in much better DA, I have run a 1.562 60 foot (with different tires). I expect I can come close to matching that with the ET Street "R"s. If I had mods I would not think about using anything else.

That was on a cooldown pass in the morning. Hot lapping ALL DAY the 60 foots dropped substantially and in the HOT afternoon they even dropped down into the low 1.7's on a few passes. I ran 27 passes and I was on pure pump 91 octane. So, I actually think the PCM was pulling timing after I turned the motor off and heat soaked it right before making a pass.

27 passes in 7 hours and I never felt like I spun once. Famoso is awesome.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

27 passes.... I love it!! That's a GREAT day at the track!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It was a Red List event and it is ALL heads up. You get points for ET, 60 foot, reaction time and Win. A slower car can potentially win it over a faster car that needs a cooldown between runs. The car that won was a Black Hellcat with a 2.75 upper pully, PCM/Tune, DR's and I am assuming a DS and not sure about the 3.09's. He told me he made about 30 passes. Also, the Main Guy said that he set an all time record for most points. He ran 10.30's all day and only lost 3 times (one was a red light). So he lucked out and only tangled with super fast cars a couple times all day. I had about a 60% win ratio :( But I was killing it all day on the tree and had several wins on a holeshot :)

. DSCN2090.JPG DSCN2092.JPG

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    dragrcr, any reason not to use the 18x10 Weld RTS 6.2 BS/+18mm wheel instead of the 6.6BS/+28mm one? It seems that it may fit better if one doesnt care about it stickin out a wee bit.

11. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You say it may fit better, but what do you really mean when you say that? There is a lot of extra space on the inside. Why not take advantage of that? My Forgelines I went slightly conservative at 18X10.5 with a +25 offset. And I have plenty of inside clearance. I did the wheel tub mod I posted in a thread I started on here. One of the reasons I went with a 10.5 and a +25 was so that I could run the Nitto NT05R in a 315 width someday. But I doubt I ever will because what I have now is hooking the car reliably.

I do agree with you somewhat, but I am not so sure the tire will clear the fender lip if you hit a big bump with some weight in the car (passengers etc.). The wheel does tilt inward as the suspension compresses, so maybe it will be ok. Maybe with certain tires it might be less of an issue. Like the ET street "R" has a round shoulder VS the Nitto NT555R has a more square shoulder.

Personally I would run the +28 and never look back. I doubt any of the 305 tires will rub on anything with that wheel. These pics are of my Car right now with the 305/45R18 ET Street "R"s and will be close to what you would see with the Weld Wheel because my wheel is slightly wider. Last pic shows a rib in the plastic wheel tub and that is the ONLY thing the tire even comes close to.....probably .45 to .50" and I am sure it could still slightly touch that without any issues. If you look close it also is near the shock plastic cover but that will also not be an issue as it is not that close and it would move/deflect if it happens to touch it.

DSCN1999.JPG DSCN2010.JPG DSCN1997.JPG DSCN2005.JPG DSCN1859.JPG

12. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was testing weld wheel 17x10 6.7 BS and 30mm offset. I even tried to raised from the lower control arm and it's still rubbing. Any solution?

Attached Files:

13. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think I know what I'm doing wrong... I need to raise the car only from lower control arm (I used rear side raised point that was causing it)... would keep updated.

14. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes you will need shorter sway bar links if you don't want the hassle of jacking on the control arm. I put the HHP links on my car. The only thing that bugs me is they are like 1.5" shorter and they only need to be about .5" shorter to clear on my car. I am thinking about getting my welder set up so I can shorten my OEM ones myself. I have a really nice TIG welder but I am in an Apartment right now.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't mind raising from the lower control arm, It's 5 minutes job. I was able to do it and it clears more than enough. I'll post pictures soon.