Well the long long road is finally over, Cat arriving Tomorrow

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by KrazyKat, Jan 10, 2016.

1. KrazyKat

KrazyKat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well the long road in getting my Cat is finally over. It has been a focus of mine for almost 4 years now, when I started following the development of a supercharged de-stroked variant of the 392 Hemi with the internal engineering nickname “Hellcat”. I listened intently to family and friends deep inside Auburn Hills mumble terms like “crazy power” and “docile” in the same sentence. I stalked the roads around the HTC obsessively looking and listening for camouflaged test mules. After the “Cat” was let out of the bag so to speak, I then prayed for close to a year that the car would not be $80-90,000. Then the summer of 2014 came along and the base price was announced to be a tick under $60,000 and I was ecstatic. My wife and I decided it had to be in a High Impact color that was certain. Sublime or Plum Crazy would be our choice and since my wife had lusted for a Sublime/Limelight E-Body for years that is what we decided. Originally I wanted a 6 speed manual, as I have always been a stick guy. But as the news of how amazing the HP90 was and its drag strip potential, and the fact that Diane and I have 3 manual trans cars in our stable already, I decided to focus on getting an automatic.Then the frenzy ensued and the waiting process began. I knew the rich guys would pay anything to get one of the first ones and I was willing to wait until the second allocation. Then came the announcement of the sunroof restriction, then the Laguna Leather restriction, Brass Monkey restriction. Then came February allocation time and the realization that the entire process was FUBAR’ed and dealers were forced into the reality that they would never get all the cars they took deposits for. The owner of my local dealer who also owns the Harley Dealership where my son works would not let a Cat go for MSRP right then but indicated to be patient and it would come. I was in no mood for waiting so I started looking elsewhere and trying to find a valid allocation for MSRP and it was like looking for the Hope Diamond. I eventually found an out of state dealer who was willing to order me a car for sticker that looked like he could actually fulfill with an upcoming allocation that he was quite sure was legit. The sunroof was still on restriction but decided in an effort to get a Sublime car for my wife I could live without it.Then came the announcement that the HP90 Auto -8 Trans was in short supply just prior to the complete shut down of orders in March of 2015. Boy was I pissed until I thought about all the people that ordered on day 1 who were still in VON Hell 7-8 months later. So trying not to get discouraged I started calling what seemed like every dealer in North America looking for a car in stock still not understanding how there could even be any with all the initial order people still without a VIN even. Then the announcement that they were opening the order banks for 3 days in May of 2015 I thought maybe there was a chance to order my car exactly the way we originally wanted it minus the sunroof, only to discover that the open bank was for 6 speed manuals only. Trying real hard to not just say screw it, I returned to my nationwide search. Between May and early August I found 3 cars that would fill our needs one in Maryland, one in Texas and one in Minnesota. Each time I started to hitch up the enclosed trailer to the truck and head out of town these dirt bag dealers sold the cars out from under me before I could even pull out of the driveway. The biggest blow was the announcement that the Sublime paint would not make it through the end of the 2015 model year and I finally admitted defeat.

My wife and I watched in awe at the Woodward Dream Cruise as Chrysler officials took people for rides drifting around the parking lot of the Mopar display and watched Richard Rawlings get a ticket for doing a huge burnout in a Sublime Cat. Then I stumbled on to the pre-production Plum Crazy Challenger (my favorite High Impact color) and I was hooked again. When the 2016 order banks opened back up, I was set to order one again. This time though even though it was time to start playing the allocation game again at least the dealers knew where they stood for the year as far as car's available.No order could be put in unless it was a firm allocation, but now the Challenger allocations specified which transmission you could order. By this time my local dealer’s owner finally agreed to sell me a car for MSRP against the wishes of his staff as they still were adding $10,000 ADM to the cars they had available. So after almost driving 1900 miles to Texas to get a car, the dealer I was now firmly going to get my Hellcat from, was only 3 miles from our house. The first two allocations were filled by people who were stiffed in 2015 and had a voucher. The next 3 allocations were all for manual transmissions so I continued to wait. Then I heard the sobering news that Plum Crazy would only be offered until the end of December of 2015. It was now the beginning of November, and my girl at the dealer told me she should be getting an allocation in early December. I remember Resume Speed here on the forums say that they would be issued to the dealers on the first Thursday of the month if the dealer had an allocation. I paced the floor for almost a month and then heard through the grapevine that Plum Crazy might not make it to the end of December, and I really went in to a funk. On December 3rd the phone rang and the Sales Manager called and said my allocation arrived and it was for an automatic, and wanted to make sure she had it right. I ordered the car exactly the way I originally wanted it, but was again apprehensive as the Brass Monkey wheels had been on restriction again for several months. Our order was submitted the following morning on December 4th at 10:30 am as soon as I could confirm everything. The order went immediately to BA and I had a VON that afternoon. On Monday morning December 7th, I learned that Plum Crazy had been discontinued that day, and my heart sank again. 2 days later, our car went to BX status and I received a VIN by the end of that first week, and I finally took a deep breath. It was starting to look like this was going to happen after all, including the Brass Monkeys. We just made it under the Plum Crazy deadline by 1 business day, as others who tried to submit PCP orders on that Monday 12/7 were rejected.Talk about living on the ragged edge!!! Once I got my VIN I had Hellcat9212 track it and on December 16th, he indicated it was at D1 status with a 1/4/16 build plan. Sure enough and right on the money, it went to J status on 1//4/16 and went to KZ the following day, but still in Brampton. So from order submitted to KZ in 32 days is pretty impressive. FCA seems to have a handle on this finally.The car was in a yard in Detroit on Friday, and will be in KZX status at the dealer TOMORROW!!! The ironic thing about the whole ordeal is I had refused in the beginning to pay 1 dime over MSRP on principal and dismissed several cars and allocation offers over the last 16 months because of at least a $5000 ADM, but with the subsequent increase in price of the car and options for 2016, I wound up paying that five grand anyway. But I got my sunroof and everything else we wanted and the magic of having my name on the window sticker of a brand new REAL muscle car, something I waited 40 years for. It’s been quite a journey but I’m glad I stuck it out and can’t wait to get my paws on it and start modding in true gear head fashion. Now where's my new Dyno Tech driveshaft.... Lol.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are a better man than me...congratulations on your prize and your perserverance! Good luck tomorrow!

3. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You'll love it!

Worth the wait as I did too. You beat me in overall time however. Plum crazy is awesome! Enjoy!

4. Mike Lannom

Mike Lannom Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congratulations! Way to hang in there and now you're going to be rewarded with one bad cat! Enjoy!

5. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have lots and lots FUN!!!

6. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on your car, Take a ton of pictures and enjoy the day. The day I took home my cat was the 6th best day of my life after my 4 children's births and our wedding day (Just incase the wife checks my internet history).

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good Story....Way To Go Dude!
    Enjoy The Beast!!!!
    Far

8. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's a pretty amazing story. I just got my PCP challenger in December and it sounds like I'm in your area. There are a few others on this forum too. I bet we have a small club forming.

• Like Like x 1
  9. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Way to go now try to get some sleep tonight...!

10. Cenziocars

Cenziocars Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    KrazyKat,

Wow. I underwent the very same and some similar ups and downs you had over the past year and also ordered under the ragged edge wire on Dec 4th for my PCP Brass Monkey A8. Only thing is my wife will now know the reason why I was acting so bonehead squirrely over the last six months once I let her read YOUR story. Frankly, I just could not put it into words and did not know where to start........... I just kept "thinking" to her,..... "You wouldn't understand"......! My car build date has literally paralleled yours. I sincerely Thank You for your input. Congratulations!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on getting what you really wanted, just like you wanted I wasn't willing settle for paying ADM or a color/options I didn't want. Did I wait longer than others while they enjoyed their car, sure but now its just a story. Take lots of pics and enjoy .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  12. KrazyKat

KrazyKat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your welcome Cenziocars, I was getting tired of telling the story to friends and family who did not understand the whole thing and had to vent with a pen, so they can just read it (LMAO). I figured doing it here with a gaggle of like minded people who have had similar experiences, would be the most appropriate place. Being now 56 and born into a Chrysler family, missing out on the first muscle car era by a mere 3-4 years had always bothered me. Watching my dad and uncles driving the latest and greatest company executive lease cars, gave me a thirst for Mopar Muscle at a very early age. To watch the insurance companys and the government nail the coffin on ordering new muscle car's by the time I got my license, really pissed me off. Decades of lame cars after that era just reinforced the fact that I missed it, get over it, and move on. Yes I have a barn full of MoPar muscle to this day, including one my grandmother bought brand new in 1969 that I have had since I was 17. But what I haven't had was one that I could truly say was mine from day one. Until the arrival of the Hellkitty there has not been a domestic car made in the US that made me want to pull the trigger. The gang in the barn is ready to accept the Cat with open arms, as she is truly worthy of her spot.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well said and your comments reflect what many of us went through to finally get a HC. Take tons of pix and let us know your initial impressions....weather permitting. Congrats and rest assured....the wait is worth it:D

• Like Like x 1
  14. KrazyKat

KrazyKat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ahhhhhh Had the trailer almost hitched up and the dealer told me it would not be in today. Called the SRT Hotline and they said it is still sitting in the lot down next to Jefferson North Assembly. It's been released to the trucking company and the 25 mile trip to the dealer is now up to them....This is Frick'in killing me....

15. BLK_MAGIC

BLK_MAGIC VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man almost there! Tell them you'll pick it up from the lot.

• Like Like x 1