What are signs of CQuartz Finest failure?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by Meat, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Meat

Meat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I picked my car up from the detailer last week. On way home I got caught in major downpour for 45 minutes on Interstate. The detailer was worried that the CQuartz Finest may have "failed" due to it not beading very well. He told me to wash it this weekend and let him know what it look like.

What should I be looking for? Am I only looking at the beading effects to determine if the Finest is still ok? If there is a problem, is it due to the coating being washed off or a chemical reaction, or stopping the curing process which in turn causes the costing to degrade quicker than planned? Etc?

Thank you in advance.

2. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Check these guys and gals out. I use IronX, Reload, and Reset.
    CarPro-US.com

My cat is garaged, sees not snow or salt, has had CQuartz finest for a year and hasn't needed a round of decontamination, cleaning and restoring at all.

My wife's BMW is a daily driver, CQuartz Finest for just under a year, went through the snow and salt last winter and lives outside all year round. I haven't seen the need to do the full monty yet. Still shedding water great. Only thing I can say is after it rained in the past it looked like it was newly washed. Now the lower parts don't look quite as clean. Will do the full round of work next month to see if there is a difference.

By the way, both vehicles are black and look great.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. waiting for mine

waiting for mine 10/30/15 DELIVERED ON DEVILS NIGHT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can't help you on what a failed application looks like. I was told after the cquatz finest my car should not be out in any bad weather for a week.so that it can cure properly. so I parked it inside and waited a week

4. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You are definitely not supposed to get it wet for a week, unless your installer used IR lights.

5. NHCAT

NHCAT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You can get it wet... just no chemicals for 7 days.

6. All2Easy

All2Easy Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I could imagine a layer of dirt due to getting caught in the rain affecting its beading properties since the layer of dirt is now between the coating and water. I would wash it and see if the beading returns (after one week of the original application that is). My detailer said that rain would not cause any issues.....just don't wash with any chemicals for one week.

7. SC DETAILEL

SC DETAILEL Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did the installer put a layer of Reload over the coating before you left? If so, then you should be fine. The Reload is used at this level to protect the coating (That is still curing).

HUMP

8. Meat

Meat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I washed it and there are a couple that don't bead very well: Aft end of front fenders

Some areas the beaded water was pushed right off with a blower. Other areas the beaded water dissipated more that just pushing off the car. Not really sure what that means.

9. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Meat you're not the expert, who applied CQF (should) be and immediately invite you back to hear your concerns and then take appropriate next steps, and explain what that will look like, and level set expectations. The best outcone will be with car in person.

They can detemine what's going on. Do your best to take notes where you have concerns on the car and present that. Regardless, having listened to anything less than your satisfaction, sop is get the car back and deal with it. And then explain what that looks like.

Cars (should) exit the process with informative education from the applier on what too expect, what to do, and what not to do, to get the maximum value from CQF application.

Any issues can be immediately validated through hearing your concerns and inspection and test. Even minus any detailed explanation or input from you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is some upkeep to the CQuartz, but it's nothing more than you would do if you were taking the time to polish and wax it. Renew is the shampoo to use on it. It's made by CarPro. Reload every 6 months will help to maintain the integrity of the coating. I have a refresh wash done twice a year where the car gets Iron-X as well.

If the CQuartz is working, the water should run right off of the car and bead up very well. Take a water bottle and pour water slowly on hood or door...90% or more of the water should run off completely. See video:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Meat

Meat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Thank you for your help. My installer is 2 hours away and just wanted to be certain it failed before I brought it to him. He was the one that brought up CQuartz possibly failing and wants to correct it if it needs it. That being said, he didn't explain anything to me as far as what to expect so I don't really know what to look for.

I emailed him and told him I would just make a trip up to Nashville and have him look at it. I am confident that if there is a problem he will do the right thing and fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yoshi5674

Yoshi5674 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Using regular car soap will take CQuartz off, just an FYI.

• Useful Useful x 1