What Cars/Brand did you come from?

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by begone, Mar 29, 2016.

1. begone

begone Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So, I'm gonna be honest here for a second, and a big issue I have with the Hellcat Charger is the stigma behind owning a Dodge and walking into a Dodge Dealership - call me a snob - I don't care, and I'm far from it as I daily drive a 2011 F150 Ecoboost. But just like my issue with Ford is customer service, maintenance, and overall hassle with dealing with a domestic vehicle dealership. We have always owned either all at once or at least 1 luxury brand German/Japanese/Domestic brand like Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, Cadillac, etc.. And going from Ford to Dodge won't be that much of a stretch for me, but buying a $70k Dodge would be - especially when you don't get all the perks of many other dealerships/brands. And geez can these Dodge Dealerships play anything other than 90's Hair Band music in their showrooms?? I'm 38, and just the music made me feel like I had to sport a mullet to sufficiently communicate to my car salesman - who actually had one...wow.

What other vehicles/brands have you come from before owning your Hellcat?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Billy182

Billy182 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    not much to say, except: BUY AMERICAN

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Honestly...until recently I steered well clear of ANY American cars. They were often poorly engineered and I stuck with safer bets from Subaru, Honda, BMW and so on.
    I have friends in the auto industry and in 2010 I was told that Obama's initiatives did more than just get the automakers on their feet. They also had to regroup R&D and change the whole system of how they were designing cars. This is not from some article as I have family that worked at Chrysler and now at Ford. The changes made were complex, but the results....

Now let's look at a bit of the industry today:

Fastest Sedan = Hellcat
    Quickest Sedan = Tesla
    Best Handling Sedan = CTS-V
    Best Car in the world = arguably the Tesla
    Top EV Car = Obviously the Tesla
    Fastest Car = Hennessy Venom
    Best Offroad = Obviously the Jeeps

And that's just the beginning of a big US comeback in cars. So unlike a LOT of people here, I don't have much history with American cars. Cars I cross-shopped were the M5 and Panamera.

Robert

• Like Like x 2
  4. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I sell cars. Used cars. For 32 yrs lol. My experience is that the high end foreign stuff is a literal nightmare once the factory warranty is gone. Im the guy who sees these things with 80-100k and all the ridiculously expensive repairs that come with such over-engineered cars. They are finicky, expensive, aggravating vehicles and it only gets worse as they age. They do feel more refined but even that goes away quickly. We have actually pulled back from offering many these days. After experiencing this over and over i often shake my head when i hear people who brag about owning them. I just think, give it time lol.
    Hey, to each his own but i can tell you that id never get sucked into that world. Bang for the dollar value is just not there unless you're loaded and replace your car every couple of yrs.
    Just my .02 and im sure will ruffle some feathers lol. But if youre in the car business you drive an awful lot of cars.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. He'll Cat Smud

He'll Cat Smud Proud Hell Cat Club Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dodge leadership have turned it around. Many articles on this...the rebirth of the muscle car was a big risk and Dodge took that risk. Obama had nothing to do with it. Not getting political here, but google it Good Captain. Relative to the dealerships, I do see what you mean. Just ordering the car was a joke. You couldn't sit down with anyone that really knew anything and then when they got one, they would call you and everyone else that would pay 5-10k over sticker. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  6. 209srt8s

209srt8s Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you are not buying for the 707 hp. and styling to a lesser degree...think hard on it. I love my 4 SRT's and 3 Dodge Trucks...but IMO been in one dealership been in them all regardless of brand, never had a genuine warm fuzzy feeling in one yet...sales better in some than others; service better in some than others...and so on.:oops:

All my opinions are my own.

7. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had the previlege to own a 2014 Camaro ZL1 which I Traded for the Challenger Hellcat. The 2014 Shelby GT500 which I later traded for the Charger Hellcat. I have also owned a jeep Cherokee Ltd hemi in the past. I also own a 2015 Ram 1500 LTD Ed Black express. However my experiences have not been very pleasant as far as after sales service is concerned. The sales dept is over enthusiastic and courteous during the selling phase/pre ownership period, especially if there is Adm/mark up involved. However there are also some who act like they are doing you a huge favor by selling their rare limited edition "super car" (Shelby/ZL1/Hellcats)

Once you buy the vehicle the honeymoon is over and you have to fend for yourself, going forward. The service dept is more like a Banana Republic institution with little or no checks and balances. There is no professionalism or ethics and there is a huge disconnect. That has been my takeaways from all the 3 great heritage motor companies(Ford/GM/Dodge).

These are my own opinions and observations and will not deter me to buy from them again in the future. However it is what it is. To a degree it is our fault and we are equally responsible as well, for accepting sub standard quality of service and doing nothing about it. It is this submission on our part which has also contributed to their lackadaisical approach and delusion on their part. Obviously nobody wants to spend time at the dealerships and we would rather drive our cars. However routine maintenance: oil changes, servicing, TSB's and other allied issues force you to visit the dealership. The least you want or expect is to have a nice pleasant experience. You should not dread going there.

I have owned Mercs, BMW's, toyotas and a Cadillac Escalade in the past. Although I wouldn't say that I received five star quality service, however my experiences were far more pleasant and less painful or agonizing.

Hopefully others have had better experiences to share.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    2005 Lancer Evo SSL that I bought new. Selling it to replace with the charger that should be here in about a month.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I really didn't need a car but my brother-in-law wanted to check new car and his first stop was at dodge dealer. So he tested Scat Pack and I was sitting in the back and fell in love LOL... But I convinced my wife for SRT 392 and made a deal on Hellcat lol (She still says we talked about SRT and I show her front grill lol)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Plymouth! Mopar No Car!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So after reading some of these responses and elsewhere I'm noticing it almost comes down to service and how you are treated by the dealer for some people. Ive noticed that its almost a sticking point. Not quite, but close. I personally try not to let that sway me to another brand. Lets all hope service gets better.

• Like Like x 3
  12. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I sold my Pontiac G8 GT and put it towards the HC. I rarely have a good experience with dealership service. Doesn't matter if its a cache brand or not. I can say it appears the higher end brands do attempt to make you feel a bit more special but it's not always the case. I used to take my wifes Lexus in for service (hand wash - free) so I could score some quick breakfast. Sad but true. I do most of my own service on my cars as its cheaper, I enjoy knowing I put good products in the vehicle and it was done right every time. For items requiring significant diagnostic work or are clearly a warranty item, I take it in. So far my Dodge service has been mostly a swing and a miss.

Hopefully I can find a good dealer/tech to develop a relationship.

13. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I started as a Chevy man but as I grew up and needed more space, I found that only Dodge offered the power, comfort, and styling I liked in a sedan. To me, the Charger is the best sedan out there. As for the dealerships, all I care about is are the numbers right and if there is a capable Dodge auto center semi-close to my house or work. Sadly, I haven't met a salesperson that knew more about a car than me, and this goes for all brands, so I don't depend on them while looking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm in NY. My dealer is Bill Volz. Service is FANTASTIC and they have treated me so well on each car that I keep buying cars from them. My friends with Hellcats have not needed service, but my friend bought his SP in Westchester and he's very happy with the service he gets there.

Good service is not universal and lots of people have a tough time. Some dealers are terrible, but my experience with Audi was far from wonderful and worse than I had with my SRT products by far.

Having a good attitude and communicating nicely with the service people is a big part of the equation too.

Robert

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. richmondhellcat

richmondhellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I owned Infiniti/Audi/Cadillac before moving onto Charger HC. Those luxury brands offer excellent customer services, and I always felt that I have been taken good care of. But the quality of these 3 brands that I owned is nothing shy of shocking, my Infiniti has brake issue, Audi has been burning engine oil like a top-up every 1500km, then my Caddy (a 2015 Escalade) has the power steering unit changed at only 15000km, so maybe I had enough, good service doesn't translate to customer satisfaction on the product, so I give Dodge a try and I would rather NOT pay the price premium on service but on product.