what is largest tires front and rears to fit Hellcat challenger.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Michael Stevens, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Michael Stevens

Michael Stevens Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg image.jpeg I have been tracking my Hellcat out at Fontana California and am looking for info. I am learning high speed track driving by taking my new Hellcat Challenger out on a Roval course with other cars for times. Trial by fire! What a blast and now totally addicted.
    My problem is that I am on a tight budget. I burned through the stock tires. I don't know if I made a mistake but what I did is I bought some twheels off a scat pack specifically for track days. I am trying to save money and got a very good deal. I figure if I get a blowout or something happens out there on the track I won't destroy the original Hellcat wheels. 20x9 is the rim size. Can I run a Toyo 285 35 20 tire on those 20x9 wheels and on my car without rubbing. Also I would like to know the largest or should I say widest tire I can put on those wheels that will fit my car . I keep seeing 315's. I would love to put 315's on there but I'm afraid they will rub. The reason I am leaning towards Toyo tires is that I was told those are one piece tires or a little better quality than a two piece tire. Not sure if this guy was feeding me a line a bull or what about the one piece tire thing. Also brakes and rotors. I am hoping you guys can see what I'm after . I am not looking to get every 10th of a second off my track times I'm looking to get the best value for my money and performance in a tire And brake set up. With the stock brakes The pedal faded very quickly on me . I do know I want to upgrade to new rotors and better pads and is there anything to high temperature brake fluid? I'm not sure if I want to stagger the tire sizes and I really don't care what my car looks like out there on the track. I just don't want them to rub

2. SRTFighter

SRTFighter Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Most people will tell you 305/35/20s or 315/35/20s are the widest, but it really depends if you care if the tire sticks out past the fender or not. You must match the tire width to the wheel width though. If you don't care if the tire sticks out from under the car then go with the widest tire that will mount on the wheels you have. For a 20x9 you are already at the widest tire.

Tires are expensive in these sizes and probably the last thing you want to buy on a budget. 200 per tire seems like the best price for a good tire I have found in my searches.

3. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Holy painters tape batman!!
    I seriously thought you had photo shopped the picture of your car for a minute!!
    I'm letting the chips land where they will on my car, I hit a road cone last time out and received some bumper rash, danggit.
    I can't recommend the Nitto NT05 enough, I love mine, I bought them in the stock size 275/40 and am very pleased with the performance.
    But with an extra set of rims you'd probly be better off getting the NT01 track tire and changing them at the track if you can, I tried fitting two of my Pirellis in the trunk when I took them off and it didn't seem to fit, I thought maybe two in the trunk and two in the back seat but theres not enough room, so a trailer or support rig would be needed.
    That said I hear you can fit a 315/35 on a 10.5 wheel in back, and 285/35 in front on the stock wheel.
    I appreciate and would like a bigger tire but I'm seriously not at the edge of the tires I have, when on the road course. I've got way more car and tire left to grow into as a driver.

4. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    are you considering the R888's?
    Did I mention that its awesome you are road coursing the Hellcat? So glad others are doing it, I'm hoping to see more as time goes on.

5. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad you are road racing. Carcass, myself and several others have been sharing our road racing experience on several threads here, welcome to our small and growing circle of road racers!

So this road racing is not for the light in budget unfortunately. After entry fees, INSURANCE, transport and day expenses track day can be just under $1,000 a day and we have not talked about maintenance yet. Guys check with your auto insurance, more than likely your car insurance will not cover a penny of damage to a car on the track. Daily insurance is about $400-500, with a season rate of nearly $2,500.

Next largest cost; maintenance. Myself and others have learned a tire or several tires can get waisted on one day. Brakes and their first at least pad upgrade is $250-$500 for a quality set of pads. Those rotors are not going to display their normal street life after some hot track days either and those are not cheap. That said, the Hellcat CAN be tracked absolutely stock. That includes the OEM 275/40 PZero Summer tires. I have four track days on three of them. The backs will be fine probably for the remaining four days I will torture them. The fronts? I have three new remaining in the garage, I collected for cheap last year as people were nearly giving them away two at a time as they bought their drag radials.

What is the largest tires is your original question, first chuck the 9" wheels. No matter what you do, the 1/2" of width difference from the OEM wheels just zapped 1/2" of contact patch no matter what anyone will mount. Don't dare mount a larger than a recommended tire on those 9" wheels on a road course. I am considering 10.5" fronts and 11" rears for my future track set. Those will likely wear a set of 285/35 tires. Perhaps a set of NT01's, Pirelli makes a Trofeo-R, with the right front wheel setup, we believe a set of those would work. I have managed nearly 1.12/1.16 lateral on the stock rubber, I know this car will really rock with more rubber on the road. We also have seen the Challenger do good with a square tire setup and not a stagger on the road course.

I use a upgraded brake pad (Porterfield R4-S), normally get -1.1g, and have not noticed any braking fade. That said the track I frequent may not be the most demanding on brakes.

I would encourage you to look through several threads, lots of discussion and lots of our videos up for enjoyment also. The Hellcat is very impressive! Had mine up on a lift at a local location that designs and manufactures suspension components this past week, all agreed they sold us a race car!

6. Michael Stevens

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So on the 20x9 wheels, I can only go 275/40/20? Maybe I should get Hoosier slicks then? On the oem wheels 285/35/20 all the way around? I can deal with that as far as the tape on my car goes, It only takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to tape it up . I have not put the money together yet for a clear bra. I know I've already provided a couple of paint chips and some rubber scuffs so to me it's well worth it. I'm one of these people that could care less what other people think about things I do or how I look ect, so the tape on the car works very well for me and that's all that I really care about . Thank you so far for the input .

7. Michael Stevens

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My entry free is $200 Iberg just under $100 in fuel. I do not buy the extra insurance. Brake wear and tire wear adds it all up to 600-700 per day for me. I shop a lot on eBay so maybe I'll just try used tires for the track wheels. After three times going to the events, the tires are completely destroyed. Then I just replaced the brake pads. So the next time I need tires I'm going to go for the full Brake job. Even though I'm on a tight budget I do have some money to throw at my new addiction.