What other cars did you consider?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by robmypro, Jun 1, 2015.

1. robmypro

robmypro Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This decision is proving harder than I thought. I plan on buying a toy next year, as I have never owned a new car. I have bought quite a few new cars, but they were never for me. Got a new LS460 for the wife, after buying her a new 4Runner before that. And then there were the new cars for the kids, my mom, etc. And when it came time for me to get something, I looked new...but went used. Current vehicle is a 2005 LX470. Before that it was an LS400.

So here I am, telling myself "It's time". I can pretty much buy anything under $100k, and the wife is literally pushing me to do something. The question is, which one?

After renting a Camaro (v6) I walked away thinking those are pretty cool. Basically started out thinking the ZL1 was the one. I like the styling of the Camaro, but I am not sold on the look for 2016. And they have not announced anything above the SS for 2016. Still, I thought I was going Camaro, because I always liked the 1st gen cars, and this was my chance to own a better version of those. But I didn't like the bunker visibility I had driving them. That was a huge turnoff, not to mention the basic interior.

Then I started reading about the Hellcat. The Challenger is, in my opinion, the most awesome muscle car available. And what's not to like about it? The interior is done right. The car just looks bad ass, and there's those 707 horses to consider. So I decided that the HC was for me! And...

Then I started thinking about the Z06. That's a lot of car. It's more than the HC, but still within my budget. So I watched a bunch of videos, and decided the Z06 is the top dog. If you are going to get your 1 new car, go all the way. But the more I thought about the Z06, the more I wasn't sure it was a good fit. Do I want a sports car (track oriented), or a muscle car? And for that amount of money, should I be looking at...

A used Porsche 911 GT3? That's my ultimate car. After all, I always buy my cars used because I get so much more value. My LX470 cost $75k new, but I picked it up 3 years later in mint condition (32k miles) for $34k. Could I pickup a used GT3 for around $100k? Maybe, but I think $125 would be a lot more realistic, which is more than I want to spend on a car. But I could go new 911 Carrera 4 within my budget as well.

And since I am in this range, should I take a look at a Viper? Not exactly the styling I prefer, and it is track more than muscle, so maybe that doesn't make a lot of sense. But I shouldn't exclude anything without seeing and driving them first.

And this doesn't even include the luxury cars that I could throw into the mix. The BMW 740Li xDrive is pretty sweet, and I could get one of those in the low $90k range.

I guess having lots of options is a good thing, but I wasn't expecting this decision to be so difficult. Usually I make a decision like this within a few days, and I am going on 3 weeks. I am still leaning towards the HC, but a test drive of all cars, combined with their actual availability, is probably going to decide which way I go.

BTW, I briefly thought about Ford, but to be honest I am just not a fan. Maybe the 350R will change my mind, but going in I would say the odds of buying a stang are not very good.

What cars did you consider before buying your HC? Was it this hard, or did you just know right away that the HC was for you?

2. Bananahead

Bananahead Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't understand the question... ;>)

3. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I didn't consider any other car, it was the Challenger Hellcat or I drive my 2010 SXT V6 Charger until it dies at least 3 times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It was a Charger Hellcat or no car. [A corollary of "Mopar or No Car"]

5. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My only other consideration was a 392 Chally. Mopar girl. No other options for me. :D

6. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was deeply in love with Ozzy (my 2013 Challenger 392) and had no plans to change cars. That is, until my husband kept dangling the HellCat in front of my face and I caved to the pressure. So, I traded Ozzy in on Dante. Still in a Challenger, still happy. :D

April

7. robmypro

robmypro Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is so cool that you guys just knew it was HC or bust. I am not that committed yet.

Struggling!

• Like Like x 1
  8. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You sound like a salesmen's nightmare... One of those guys that comes in for the minivan and leaves with the sports car. Just kidding.... You'll figure it out.

9. hellcat16

hellcat16 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We (my wife) currently own a ZL1 convertible and I ordered a Hellcat last week. I am curious to compare the 2 cars as far as ride and drive go. I know the HC will feel a lot faster plus its a manual :D:cool:

10. robmypro

robmypro Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hope so!

11. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you're not used to RWD high horsepower old muscle cars this ain't for you robmypro cuz it's that times 2

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roostking

Roostking Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Ask yourself is this going to be an everyday car, or a weekend toy? The HC can be an everyday car, both the Charger(for obvious reasons) and the Challenger. Its got a real back seat, a huge trunk and is so comfortable and a pleasure to drive(BTW I don't have a HC yet, I have a 392, but it applies). If you get a Vette or Viper, you give up that functionality if you need it. I am single and have a Ford Ranger as my other vehicle, but I don't want to run home to get the truck just to get groceries. If its a weekend Toy, Id probably go more sportscar. I in fact go back and forth between a HC and a Viper myself(I would be buying used) but the functionality always brings me back to the Challenger.

13. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just my $0.02, I toyed with the idea of restoring my 1981 Z28 which was nothing special to begin with. More sentimental than anything, had it is high school. When I estimated about $15K in new parts, not including labor or body work I was like, I don't think so. Well since I had been researching so many parts on the internet for he chevy I started getting alot car related pop ups. Well one pop up said something about 707 hp. That got my interest. I saw the Hellcat, and I started the research process, then I saw the price and was like, "oh, that may be very do-able". I figured the money I was going to potentially p*&^ away on the camaro would be a nice down payment on this factory stock 707 HP monster with warrantee :). So I plunked a deposit down on 9/9. Of course it was tough to do in a way. Cars are notoriously bad investments as you know in buying your vehicles used and let's face it a lexus with 34k on the odometer is just getting broken in. I already had buyer's remorse but then a Hellcat came into my local dealership and from the second I saw it my doubts or regrets went out the window. The look and presesence this car has is awesome. Yeah the Z06 can handle better etc. but the Challenger is old school with new school tech and the fact that it has the power it has (underated by the way) just makes it that much more of a bar setter. Let's face it. The Hellcat is out, it is on the streets, the other guys (GM and Ford, whomever) have a lot of ground to make up power wise. It is easy to get a car to 400 Hp but for every 50 HP increment after that shot of throwing a big nitros system on it, just is not easy or cheap. So my car shopper, you have a 100K budget and the car starts at $58K and change. It will walk away from a Z06 from 50 MPH, ....wallk away from the new Z06. The best thing I like about the car besides the performance numbers is just the look of it. I love the fact the Hellcat is not all graphics out. It is simple, clean and mean. Almost mature if you will. You will have nothing to prove to anyone in this car. Wait until the mods and ecu flashes are avialable. This car was running over 800 hp until Dodge dialed it back to meet emissions. Reliability remains to be seen. I have always had hiperformance Japanese cars STI's and the like and they were bulletproof. Since this is a new car the warrantee helps keep the fears at bay. Hope you get to see one in person or better own one. Now here is the catch. They do start at $58K + options although many dealers are atleast 5K in ADM or much higher. I just snagged a car in transit with VIN an A8 for $5K over. The same car went for auction at Mecum and fetched $110K so I think I am good paying the $5K over. Good luck with your search. Hellcat all the way baby!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Scat Pack with Shaker option, ZL1, or a 911 variant with significant grunt. Once I gazed down at my child bearing hips, realized the junk in my trunk wasn't anything to crow about and immediately after a "test fit" of the latter two. I knew two things: 1) the Camaro was just too "boy racer" for me and I would have to carry around a tube of lard to butter my hips for ingress/egress, and; 2) double the tube size for the Porsche...plus it just wasn't what I wanted...too euro-bitchy. I wanted the Challenger HC.

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had no plans to by another car. Nothing in the new car world remotely interests me. Except for a Veyron but rather out of my budget. Then it must be around June of last year I stumbled across the Challenger Hellcat and that was it. Love at first sight.

• Agree Agree x 2