What to do? 392 or Cat

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by TXEXPRESS, Nov 18, 2015.

1. TXEXPRESS

TXEXPRESS Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Fairly certain im asking this in a biased arena but here it goes. I have a 15 SRT 392 Charger right now and love the car. I also have a 16 Hellcat Charger ordered in D1 status. I'm buying the Hellcat right and am leaning toward trading up. That being said I'm afraid that the extra 220hp will be useless to me. It will never see a track and I drive the hell out of my 392 on the street. I've drove a M6 Challenger but not a A8 which is obviously what my car has. Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Keep Both,
    You probably won't regret it!
    Far

3. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In my opinion, there is a very noticeable difference between the 2. Even though you may not get to fully use the extra 220HP, the responsiveness of the acceleration...even at lower speeds in exhilarating. I love my Challenger HC A8 and am very happy with it. This car continues to amaze me every day...after 5 months of ownership....no regrets.:D:D

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tough call. Nothing wrong with an SRT392

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TF-ENT

TF-ENT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you like/love the ACC, sunroof, heated and cooled cup holders, fog lights, auto wipers, and adjustable pedals then keep the 392. Otherwise a CAT it is. I had a 2012 and regret not just adding a supercharger to that.

6. AlbertaBlackTop

AlbertaBlackTop Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I was on the fence. Glad I went hc

7. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you've got the $$$, you can't beat the Cat. You will love it. It is so much more than I expected.

As Napoleon Dynamite would say: "Vote for Cat and all your wildest dreams will come true."

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mopar Ragtop

Mopar Ragtop Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Same here. I had a 2012 SRT8 and thought it was absolutely perfect. The right amount of horsepower, everything was great.

But I stepped out and bought the Hellcat. Best decision I ever make. Nothing like it. No comparison. Just the SRT8 to the nth degree. All good; no downsides.

9. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    After running the HC in 500HP mode for several hundred miles I can see why the 392 works so well. That's a capable power level for a 4400 lb car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ugh, what a dilemma, although a nice problem to have, for certain! I ha a 2013 392 that I traded in on my Hellcat. I adored my 392, which was named Ozzy ... and I STILL miss that car! I sincerely wish I could have kept both. Day to day "around town" driving, you will not notice much of a difference because the Hellcat is surprisingly well behaved. The HC's supercharger is extremely whiny, that is the main difference. When you want that extra "Oomph", the HC has it and much more.

I do enjoy my Hellcat, and I hope to start racing a bit once I replace the driveshaft, but in reality I would be just as happy in the 392 for everyday driving. It all comes down to what you want, and are willing to spend your money on. Good Luck, and let us know what you decide! :D

April

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TXEXPRESS

TXEXPRESS Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If the SRT wasn't the same car minus the motor it would be a easy choice. I'm all about the brakes, suspension and everything else they have in common. It's basically 19k more for 220hp and a hood. I've run down the adding a supercharger routs and can make the same power but really need to crack into motor to do drop in pistons. That doesn't excite me at all. I had a heads and cam 08 ZO6 and this SRT 392 is sooooo much more fun and I was able to throw all my wind suits and white Addidas in the trash.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i went from a 2011 392 SRT A5 and there is no comparison.....so much better.....i use all the power on the street....i floor it all the time....put DR's on the back right away and save the original backs to put on the fronts when they wear out......

its more power than you need, but it is power you can use........your foot will hit the floor no problem and you will smile

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

LOL... ok

2.62 axle ratio (HC) vs 3.09 (SRT)
    Hydraulic steering (HC) vs electric steering (SRT)
    Tuned 3-mode active suspension (HC) vs 5-Link independent (SRT)
    Active exhaust system (HC only)
    Better cooling system, almost no heatsoak worries unless in the most extreme conditions (HC only)

And yeah, the engine. You can't just discount an extra 220+ hp like it's nothing LOL.

Plus the fact that EVERY TIME someone asks you "Oh wow, is that a Hellcat???" you have to say no.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TXEXPRESS

TXEXPRESS Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Bandit Man you're wrong about the suspension and exhaust. The ratio and cooling is to optimize the difference in power so that's irrelevant. As far as ppl asking about it, you're 100% right.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It sounds like you placed an order with a dealer with no clear idea or intention of whether you will be actually following through on the purchase.