What was your wildest test drive?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bandit, May 23, 2016.

1. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was just sharing test drive stories with a co-worker and figured I'd share them here. Let's see if anyone else has had any hair-raising test drives.

This first one was back in the 90's. Ford/SVO had released Cobra R Mustang that when it was new, you had to have a racing license to buy (what a gimmick), but after a few years, they popped up on dealer's lots used, and anyone could buy one. So I saw one at a Ford dealership as i drove by and immediately whipped around to go look at it. After a while I convinced the salesman to let me test drive it, and he pulled it around. It was a beauty, i looked her up and down and thought "I have to have this car", and while checking her out I noticed that the dealership put a LOT of Armor-All on the tires, some made it onto the tread too. Making a mental note of this, i knew to be a little extra careful.

After a very brief drive, the salesman tells me to do a U-turn and head back to the lot. So there we sit, clutch in, stick in 1st, ready to do a casual U-turn. The light turns green and I begin to let out the clutch as we round the curb then all of a sudden my foot slides right off the clutch and the car whips around wildly with the tires screaming almost as loudly as my wife and the salesman. The metal license plate he carelessly laid up on the dash goes flying at my wife's face and barely missed her. By the time I got it to a stop, we're facing the WRONG way looking at the line of cars now approaching us that have been given the greenlight. I go to bring the car around and get going the right way and my foot slips off the clutch AGAIN, but I manage to get everything under control and head back to the dealership with 20 people behind me thinking I'm a jackass.

Turns out that whomever detailed the car thought all of the rubber pedals would look prettier with a slathering of Armor-All just like the tires, and that's why my foot couldn't stay on the damn pedal. I gave the general manager an ear full of shit and promptly left the lot.

The craziest however was the time I found a Buick Grand National on a small buy-here/pay-here lot on the side of the road. A line of absolute shitboxes decorated the front of the lot but right there in the middle was a sexy black sedan that I recognized immediately. This was around 1991/92, so the GN was still a damn exciting car to come across (this one was an 87), and my young heart jumped when I caught sight of it. I knew I couldn't afford it (I didn't make much money in those days), but damn if I wasn't going to take it for a joy ride!

There were no salesmen available for a test drive, so the boss decided to let the lot-boy ride along with me. This was a kid, a few years younger than I was at the time, and a very soft-spoken, meek little dude. By the time we were done, this dark brown Cuban kid was white as a sheet....

As we left the lot, the kid says "oh no mister, I forgot to grab a tag, so let's stay off the main roads and drive through the neighborhood so we don't get in trouble with the police". Yay. I wanted to thrash this car, and we were stuck in a residential area now. But.... I was in my early 20s and horribly irresponsible, so I didn't care. Off we go, pedal to the metal....

I'm launching this thing from every stop sign. I'm goosing it at every opportunity to hear the turbo spin up, and blast down the road. I was smiling like a kid that just stole an ice cream cone... I couldn't be having more fun. Until I blew by a cop doing about 60, and boy was he PISSED.

Now bear in mind, we're in Miami, and there are a lot of illegals living there. Just so happens, the young dude tasked with monitoring my behavior was one of them. As soon as the cop hit his lights and hit spun around to chase us down, he started shaking and muttering things in spanish. Then he says "I will get in big trouble if we get caught because I no put tag on car", so I knew he was getting fired and likely deported if we got caught.

Remember when I said I was young and horribly irresponsible? Yeah... so my bright idea was to take this cherry GN and out-run the police. Sliding around corners at the highest speed I could control, up to the main road, sliding Dukes of Hazzard style into traffic, and going full throttle until I saw the dealership... we slid into the driveway sideways and sped around back behind the building. We hop out, adrenaline pumping, and hear the cop blow by a few seconds later. I toss him the keys, said "see ya" and got in my car and left. Never looked back. It took a while for my adrenaline to drop back down to normal, and when I stopped shaking I realized how stupid all that was. Don't get me wrong... it was FUN, but at that age, it takes you a while to realize the dangerous shit that COULD have happened as a result. I'm just thankful no one was hurt. Wait, I'm also thankful that we didn't get caught LOL

1993-Cobra-R-4.jpg

5123f3a21620d069a70b2d0eb8462d72.jpg

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i took the salesman for a test drive before i got my cat, and it was in a 392.. i first asked if it was ok to get on it a little bit and test what it was capable of. he gave me the ok and said it was fine. that was his mistake.. "i simply said please buckle up" as i fastened mine.. i did not want to be too hard on some new customers future car, but i did drive the car like i stole it once we left the lot.. not this bad.. but almost..

after my Hellcat arrived at the dealer i asked if the same salesman wanted to go for a ride again and i got a firm NO!

muahahhahahaha

break in period? i hit 130s a few times on my way home from the dealer.. lol maybe that is why i burned so much oil in mine o_O

3. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Porsche 911 was my wildest test drive. The salesman at Porsche told me too floor it on the highway so I did. There was only a few cars on the highway nobody behind me I was doing over 100mph and he told me slam on the brakes as hard as you can. I almost slammed my head into the steering wheel. Best test drive ever.

• Like Like x 2