What We Learned From the Dyno Today

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by goingsolo2, Aug 13, 2015.

1. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    After taking it in to have AJ (Hemituner) work his magic on my Hellcat, we learned a lot from the car. This is a meticulous, yet special car.

Modifications:
    • BWoody CAI
    • Solo Performance X-Pipe Catback
    Dyno Details:
    • Posting STD and SAE numbers
    • Smoothing: 0
    • Tuning Device: Diablo Trinity
    Baseline:
    • 629.76/584.21 SAE -- 643.26/596.73 STD
    • At one point, car pulled 5 degrees of timing from knock
    • Hellcat runs lean on OEM tune already, even without any modifications
    • After adding airflow mods, the car seemed to be pulling timing because it became a bit leaner.
    • Numbers are still good for a 90 degree pull
    • Car seemed "unhappy" as AJ would put it
    • Driveability was still fine
    Mild Tuning:
    • 653.05/593.64 SAE -- 667.29/606.57 STD
    • Mild because we are taking baby steps to see what the car can handle, especially the drivetrain.
    • Car runs much faster and much smoother
    • No knock
    • Noticeable improvement in acceleration and smoothness/crispness.
    • Car feels" happy"
    • Gains are across the entire RPM band, and consistent
    What Did We Learn:
    • The car still has a lot on the tank. We just took baby steps today, and it will be back on the dyno soon. It seems the reason that the intakes have not produced gains on the dyno could be due to the fact that the car begins to run too lean and pulls timing. This is just an educated guess based on what we saw today. After tuning, there were noticeable gains from both the intake and exhaust, and knock was eliminated.
    • You can not compare dyno to dyno, from one person to another. A dyno is a learning tool. Someone dynoing the car in 50 degree weather will always get better results than someone doing the same in 90 degree heat, given other conditions are the same. The dyno's used themselves are different as well, and some naturally read higher than others. There are simply so many factors that effect the dyno that one person in one state can not compare to another person in another state. It's just not the correct way to compare and critique.
    • AJ is a very experienced and highly revered tuner. His guess is that the car is .2-.3 faster in the 1/4, simply with this mild tune. The real results are at the track! He was .008 off getting in the 9's last night at the track. The man simply knows what he's doing, and is the only one I trust tuning my car.
    • When we baselined the car back in April, we made numbers close to this in 50 degree weather on an all stock car. This says a lot for the tuning, as in that same temperature with the current tuning, one could predict 20-30 more hp.
    • Car was boosting at 10psi. It seems the heat affects this car, and in cooler weather, it should be back at 11psi. This car is sensitive to heat, period.
    • With any airflow mods you add to this car, it is suggested that you get proper tuning to best take advantage of it. Without tuning, you probably will not see any large gains at all. Is it drivable with some airflow mod and no tune, yes. I was doing it and it was fine. Is it better after tuning, yes..much! I hope this is helpful to others.
    IMG_4550.JPG IMG_4536.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Nice Solo, backs up my findings at the track. Little if any gain but more downside risk.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know if I'd say risk, because the car ran fine before. I drive it daily. It wasn't too lean to drive. It definitely backs up what others are finding at the track, as well as yourself.

4. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Solo,

Thank you for the post, your post clears up a lot of issues regarding aftermarket CAI. Great information ;););););););)

5. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Appreciate the time to put this post together. Nice job.
    I've dyno ed a few engines and when they are happy theres nice torque curves without surging or spikes. You can feel them more than in daily driving because of the way the brake is making the car work on the dyno pull.

6. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There were obvious differences in power and TQ after tuning. No surges…just smooth pulling from start to end, so I agree with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My pleasure:)

8. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Risk meaning heat soak, water intrusion two BIG minuses to me.

9. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Heat yes, but water isn't an issue with the shield installed that comes with the BWoody intake now. I drove in the heavy rain two days ago and the car was just fine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for posting your findings.

11. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Well we don't race in rain but heat soak was bad so until Mike has that solved stock stays on

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gotcha…I had no heat soak codes on the dyno today, if that helps at all. All seemed to be in well working order.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    No it does with mine and not happy with that at all. Did you do a bunch of back to back runs like 8 in a row?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm sure he will remedy it. Yes, we did a ton of runs making little tweaks and battling some dyno demons along the way.

15. 559hellcat

559hellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm taking my Hellcat to Hotchkis Performance in a fee weeks to start my mods, many of the same.ones.mentioned here.on the form. Thank you for your detailed n post it is very informative.

• Like Like x 1