what's your reply to dealers who want a non-refundable deposit?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by redkey, Feb 26, 2015.

1. redkey

redkey Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just curious: for dealers who say they want a non-refundable deposit when you first start speaking with them and they say they have an allocation, how are you responding to that?

I'm now speaking with more dealers out-of-state because I don't know if either of my two VONS will ever get built. On top of that is the uncertainty about whether any of these additional dealers can actually get a build done anytime in the next 4 months (2nd quarter) either. I have one order in since Sept 25 and a second since Dec 11, both in BX status.

My ideas are 1) adding the stipulation of allowing you to get your deposit back if you can find another buyer to take over your order (these are MSRP commitments in writing from each dealer ) as well as 2) saying that no dealer is going to get "stuck" with ANY Hellcat if anything goes sideways for any potential buyer being able to follow through and complete the purchase. I also figure I need to put a stated time limit on getting someone else to take over my order, such as 30 days, which I don't guess would be too difficult.

I've also just recently got a dealer who says he will contact me in 3 weeks which is just short of a week from now. He seems workable on the amount of the non-refundable deposit and says he believes very strongly that he will very shortly have a VIN available for me. To add to the deal, he is amenable to a courtesy shipment from the factory to a dealer 10 miles from me. I showed him shipping quotes I got from InterCity Transport for each of an enclosed container, and for open container which are close to $2,000. My courtesy drop accepter will charge me $300. Basically, I want to be in for no more than $2500 non-refundable with the original dealer because that's more than the cost of having the car shipped back from my state to his...plus I'd be out the $300 fee for PDI and accepting the 'cat in CA. And, I want to get the "option to find someone to take the order" in the event that something unforeseen happens in my life....because that's just life. Sh!t happens. If that dealer truly has a VIN for me within a week or so, I believe I'm going to go that route. As of the last time we spoke, he said he'd present me with the VIN before requiring the deposit.

If/when I get a VIN, i'll post the VONs I have for others to use if they're interested.

2. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've had one dealer pull that BS of a non refundable deposit. Thats just a deal breaker for me. There are just too many variable that can play into it. Maybe you could tell him refundable up to the point of getting a VIN, then once you get a VIN non-refundable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    No brainer-walk away

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. redkey

redkey Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yeh, that's what I'm thinking. after all this waiting and still not feeling like I have a secure bite on any of them, a VIN with the option of allowing me to have somebody else take the order if I want to bow out seems more palatable than it did a couple of months ago. that also allows me to get the exact color/options I want.

5. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You can get as many VONs as you want, but I'm thinking you have 2 VONs already and that this practice of multiple VONs is making it hard for Dodge to gauge demand and fill orders as it is.

And they are aware it's being done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think its thier fault its being done LOL!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The VIN thing seems pretty common re: deposits. My dealer said non refundable...blah, blah and I said that I am not a bank giving out interest free loans and that I will wait until July 1st/ordered 2/12. If the car is not delivered to me by then, I want the right to cancel and get full refund. Owner said, yes,I will agree to that. Works for me and it will put some pressure on dealer to get a VIN. If the car isn't here by July 1, but has a Vin and seems to be moving along and being built, I will hang with it. My guy is local so I will stop by with lunch several times a month. Dealer sez car will be here mid Junish...he hopes..and I am mentally prepared for AUG....

8. HOONAGN

HOONAGN FLOOR IT!

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Three simple letters: GFY

9. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Walk away.

April

10. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pack sand in your nether orfices.

11. JBS$

JBS$ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Depends on how much money is involved. If it is $5,000 walk, if it is only $1,000, it is a reasonable request to be sure that you are a serious buyer. Now, be sure that the deposit goes toward the purchase of the car.

12. Snappycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here in Socal, my dealer called the deposit an ordering fee which was really the ADM....which I felt was reasonable for this market. When the car comes in...mid summer hopefully, I pay the remainder which would be the MSRP sticker therefore only paying sales tax on this....not the ADM. Is anyone paying sales tax on the ADM+sticker?I guess it depends on how it is written up.

13. JBS$

JBS$ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Snappy, get in writing on the front end, what additional fees, if any will be added to your purchase. If you don't, you will find $750 +\- in title handling fees added when you write your check.

14. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I purchased several cars of this type from my dealer. When I wanted to order a Hellcat, I let them know and a couple weeks went by and I got a call from the Manager. He told me they got 2 allocations and I get #1, what options and colors do you want. He placed the order morning 9/9/14.

I went to the dealer next day or so and he told me he needed a 5K non refundable deposit. I looked him in the eye and said " can you get me a car?" He said yes your #1. I gave him the cash and done deal.
    If I did not know the dealer probably no way in hell I would do that, but I want the car and they have always came thru in the past.

If I was the dealer and had a buyer, I would not want to take a customized order and not know for certain if it was going to "close" I would want some type of deposit. But there would be some type of terms on the refund that would make sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Snappycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do all dealers do this? In Calif, there is sales tax, DMV/registration/ title fees, but have never seen a $750 add on, but..... have never paid an ADM or ever ordered a car before just bought off the lot. Thanks for the heads up. My main point was depending on how the dealer writes up the deal, one shouldn't have to pay CA sales tax on the ADM.....I think...lol