Wheel damage at tire store! What would you do????

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by soundman5000, Sep 28, 2015.

1. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay this is my long story and I my be overreacting... I have done everything to protect my prized cat. Clear bra, rock guards, 10 coats and counting liquid class polish...Only hand wash by me, only 800 miles ...you get the idea.

I pick up a nail and need a repair so I call my local SRT dealer as I know the service manager. I tell him I do not want my wheel damaged and ask if he can pull this off. He sends all is Hellcat tire work out to a local large tire shop so I call the shop and ask can you do the repair without damaging my wheel. No issue I am told.

When I arrive the service guy walks out and I say " take a good look at my wheel, you see NO damage right" I say " I do not want to see any damage when you are done! I ask him is he sure he can fix this with no damage. No problem I am told.
    30 min and the tech walks out and says... You know you already have a chip on you wheel.
    I walk back, the wheel is on the machine with the tire off and he points out a small chip. Hands me a bottle of flat black touch up paint and says...the only reason I am giving you this is I like your car! Says again that I already had that chip!

I go round with these folks but sends me to a wheel repair guy and agrees to pay for a repair. The wheel guy suggest I let him try and fix it. He thinks I will be happy with the repair and tells me if I am not happy he does lots of work for that tire store and he then will go to bat for me will suggest I get a new wheel.
    His says he will light sand the small area and build it back up with paint and it will look good.

Q1) Do I just let this go as it is minor?
    Q2) Do I let the wheel guy attempt to fix it? He says he can?
    Q3) Am I out of line expecting the tire store to do an insurance claim and buy me a new wheel? Looks like I may need to let the wheel guy try and fix it but will the repair be worse than the damage?
    I just want my wheel like it was before I had my tire fixed! This is my first scratch / ding and I tried EVERYTHING to keep this from happening!

What would you folks do?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. SRT/CAT

SRT/CAT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It looks like lots of scratches around the perimeter...

3. Fastcat ny

Fastcat ny Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Try to fix it if not new rim is in order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake Back to (1) Club?

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's the tire

5. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You're focused on dot sized damage with all that perimeter rash and metal shavings extending from the wheel?.?.? that small spec is minuscule by comparison, and if you paid to repair what appears like bad parking your dot would likely be done for free.

6. Milspec

Milspec Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fixed isn't how you brought it to him Correct ? your rims were in "as new" condition correct. Did he explain to you before hand that they might damage your wheels? NOPE didn't think so...New rims or sue but thats just me.

7. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

look again, that's the tire.

To the OP, i'd just touch it up and forget it.

The rust on your rotor hat and grooves is much more serious, and needs immediate attention!

(sarcasm, sorry)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake Back to (1) Club?

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey Soundman, I made the picture bigger so that everyone can tell where the wheel ends and the tire starts. They all think that the rim is all F'd up, but it's just something on the tire, probably when they mounted it.

image.jpg

9. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My dealer curbed my rim when i went to go pick it up, they ordered me a new rim and i've been waiting almost a week now for it. At-least i think they ordered it.

I'd ask them to touch it up, if it isn't to your satisfaction then ask for a new rim. Don't pick up the car, you just make it harder if you have to go to court if you pick it up considering you'll have no paperwork saying it was damaged when you left unless you ask them to sign over paperwork saying so, which they won't do.

10. USMCVET0311

USMCVET0311 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks to me like they dropped a lug nut. I've done it before. Owned a lot of nice cars and my .02 is to touch it up. You'll drive yourself mad trying to keep a car perfect - it will never be perfect.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SRT/CAT

SRT/CAT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Unreal... normally when I get yessed to death I'm about to get some Kentucky jelly...

12. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    While I wouldn't be happy either (if you brought the in with no damage and everybody agreed it should come out that way) given the damage I would let them try to fix it. If not acceptable then ask for a new wheel.

The damage is minor but believe me I understand your pain. I'd be bummed too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BeeHappy

BeeHappy Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    hey guys make sure the dealer orders your parts VOR

Vehicle off road.....significantly speeds up the parts process..........if its in your garage...its VOR.....

just........................ fyi

• Useful Useful x 4
  14. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ha Ha, Yes I just ran outside as when I looked at the photo I kinda freaked but It's the tire. I did try and grab a better pic...
    Thanks for the input everyone as I need to make some decisions of what to do or not do???

[​IMG]

15. kenhebe

kenhebe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let them send it to the wheel repair guy and it will be fine. My shop sends a lot of rims to a wheel repair company and they always come back as new. It will be fine.